ADVERTISEMENT

Consider how bad the QB recruiting & coaching has been

Except we know that isn't true when it comes to Franklin. The core players from the 2013 offense were in the doghouse the instant Franklin arrived which is why most of them were benched in favor of inferior players or freshmen that weren't ready to play. This is common knowledge.
Common to only you and the Beav Wally. I'm calling metrics!

"Has the coaching staff done a good job recruiting, training and using the quarterbacks on the team over the last 2 years?"

Mary, I think you have three questions here.

Have they done a good job recruiting? This one is a mixed bag. Allar is a good pickup. He fits what MY wants at the potential better than any QB on the roster or currently in the known pipeline. The counter argument is that we signed Pribula and Stokes and all information strongly suggests neither fit the offense. Pribula is more like Trace whereas Stokes is more like Clifford but both are on the dual threat spectrum. That is a problem. So long as CV stays on the roster post 2022 and Allar starts, recruiting is solid. If Allar doesn’t start? Well, recruiting has been a dumpster fire.

How about training? Training players has never been a strength for any team Franklin coaches. That is a fact. The last couple of years have been an abysmal failure. It was clear the instant JoeMo’s impact on the team was purged that dual threat QBs no longer had a place, yet Roberson was ahead of CV on the depth chart. Never mind the gross incompetence of the early Franklin years.

Using the QBs is the biggest one. Franklin has mostly failed in this regard during his time in State College. By fail, I mean fail. He brought John Donovan and Ricky Rahne with him. Fail. He ran Hack off the roster. Fail. He named Trace McSorley the starter despite having lost the competition to Tommy Stevens. Fail. He has brought on two system coordinators that require QB play none of our QBs, to include Clifford, can't fully execute . Fail.

Other questions.

Was Trace an aberration?

In a word yes, he remains the most over-rated Penn Stater in team history. He was the product of Joe Moorhead’s brilliance mixed with the presence of Saquan Barkley, Mike Gesicki and Chris Godwin’s generational talent. In DC lore, Barkley was Superman, Gesicki was Cyborg, Godwin was the movie version of Aquaman. Hamilton was Batman. Trace was Robin, but he was Franklin’s guy, no matter what. Franklin ran Hack off the team so he could start Trace and never gave Tommy Stevens the opportunity to start, and by most accounts, an opportunity he won during camp. We won a lot of games but ultimately, the QB position was our biggest weakness.

And yes, this is a referendum on Franklin. How he has managed the most important position on the field has ranged from OK, to bad to horrible depending on the year. This is but one of several examples highlighting the weaknesses of his decision making process
Yet the only folks whose opinion counts gave the guy you.... our NNNNNCAC Coordinator, rate poorly, a ten year extension. Perhaps you should school them on your metrics?
I do like the way you keep pissing into a strong wind.

"Has the coaching staff done a good job recruiting, training and using the quarterbacks on the team over the last 2 years?"

Mary, I think you have three questions here.

Have they done a good job recruiting? This one is a mixed bag. Allar is a good pickup. He fits what MY wants at the potential better than any QB on the roster or currently in the known pipeline. The counter argument is that we signed Pribula and Stokes and all information strongly suggests neither fit the offense. Pribula is more like Trace whereas Stokes is more like Clifford but both are on the dual threat spectrum. That is a problem. So long as CV stays on the roster post 2022 and Allar starts, recruiting is solid. If Allar doesn’t start? Well, recruiting has been a dumpster fire.

How about training? Training players has never been a strength for any team Franklin coaches. That is a fact. The last couple of years have been an abysmal failure. It was clear the instant JoeMo’s impact on the team was purged that dual threat QBs no longer had a place, yet Roberson was ahead of CV on the depth chart. Never mind the gross incompetence of the early Franklin years.

Using the QBs is the biggest one. Franklin has mostly failed in this regard during his time in State College. By fail, I mean fail. He brought John Donovan and Ricky Rahne with him. Fail. He ran Hack off the roster. Fail. He named Trace McSorley the starter despite having lost the competition to Tommy Stevens. Fail. He has brought on two system coordinators that require QB play none of our QBs, to include Clifford, can't fully execute . Fail.

Other questions.

Was Trace an aberration?

In a word yes, he remains the most over-rated Penn Stater in team history. He was the product of Joe Moorhead’s brilliance mixed with the presence of Saquan Barkley, Mike Gesicki and Chris Godwin’s generational talent. In DC lore, Barkley was Superman, Gesicki was Cyborg, Godwin was the movie version of Aquaman. Hamilton was Batman. Trace was Robin, but he was Franklin’s guy, no matter what. Franklin ran Hack off the team so he could start Trace and never gave Tommy Stevens the opportunity to start, and by most accounts, an opportunity he won during camp. We won a lot of games but ultimately, the QB position was our biggest weakness.

And yes, this is a referendum on Franklin. How he has managed the most important position on the field has ranged from OK, to bad to horrible depending on the year. This is but one of several examples highlighting the weaknesses of his decision making process
Franklin "ran" Hack off the team.....he was the first of many, many coaches .
Its a good thing for Hack, that OB was there to grab him every time he became available. Oops!

Yet the only folks whose opinion counts gave the guy you.... our NNNNNCAC Coordinator, rate poorly, a ten year extension. Perhaps you should school them on your metrics?
I do like the way you keep pissing into a strong wind.
You are completely unhinged. The truth hurts, I know. I understand. You know I am right but can't admit you went all in on a inferior coach. Nothing you say bothers me, but it is pretty clear the truth bothers you since the only thing you cling to is a ten year contract that ties the teams hands for a long time and got Sandy fired.

You are completely unhinged. The truth hurts, I know. I understand. You know I am right but can't admit you went all in on a inferior coach. Nothing you say bothers me, but it is pretty clear the truth bothers you since the only thing you cling to is a ten year contract that ties the teams hands for a long time and got Sandy fired.
What else do the voices in your head tell you? "Follow the metrics...."
LOL the contract was approved by the compensation committee of the Board of Trustees......were they fired as well?

Curious what you would need to see from Franklin over the next 4 years to change your opinion, maybe nothing will, not sure.

Does he need to win multiple nattys or he sucks kinda thing?

He needs to improve no doubt.

My goals for him...

4 NY6 appearances 10 wins minimum each season
2 B10 titles
2 playoff appearances
3-1 in bowls with only loss being the playoff appearance where we don't win it all
1 Natty

• Haha
Reactions: PSU_Nut
Curious what you would need to see from Franklin over the next 4 years to change your opinion, maybe nothing will, not sure.

My goals for him...

2 B10 titles
2 playoff appearances
3-1 in bowls with only loss being the playoff appearance where we don't win it all
1 Natty
I don't deal in pie in the sky optimism or pessimism. The reality is, there is likely very little he can actually accomplish in 4 years to change anyone's mind given the state of the roster and the coaching staff. We are probably three years away from being able to compete for a conference championship. Four for a playoff spot. Things could change on the Big Ten title front should the Big Ten do away with divisions. The biggest thing he can do is right the ship, learn from his mistakes, demonstrate progress towards winning the Big Ten, continue to graduate players and stop whining about facilities. Low bar I know but the reality is we are pretty far away from that.

I don't deal in pie in the sky optimism or pessimism. The reality is, there is likely very little he can actually accomplish in 4 years to change anyone's mind given the state of the roster and the coaching staff. We are probably three years away from being able to compete for a conference championship. Four for a playoff spot. Things could change on the Big Ten title front should the Big Ten do away with divisions. The biggest thing he can do is right the ship, learn from his mistakes, demonstrate progress towards winning the Big Ten, continue to graduate players and stop whining about facilities. Low bar I know but the reality is we are pretty far away from that.
Sucks being a PSU fan Wally.....how do you endure?

My goals for him...

2 B10 titles
2 playoff appearances
1 Natty
Talk about unrealistic expectations. Penn State hasn’t had a run like that in over 30+ years

Reactions: GregInPitt
I believe that the diminished interest in the PSU program also is affected by the current state of big time college football in general. This is allegedly a sport played by "student" athletes, which is a farce, that now has better free agency than the NFL and many participants who are getting paid more than NFL players. Smart people see that many of the recruits have no loyalty to the schools, which makes those insipid photos of them wearing school's uniforms when they come onto campus for visits even more grating. The whole package sucks right now, and not only at PSU. I really hope that the whole system collapses soon, and a true minor football league is formed so that these schools don't have act like prostitutes.

Specifically regarding PSU, if we're being honest with ourselves, this program is beginning to remind me of what happened to Pitt after 1982; it was a slow and precipitous fall from which that program never has recovered.
My neighbor is the head of player personnel for USFL. Been dying to ask him if the USFL will go after highly ranked high school players. But to be honest I don’t know if the USFL could compete against Texas or Texas AM NIL money.

For $80 million we need it.
You do realize that isn't a top 12 salary in college football yet you have ridiculous requirements because of salary? More proof how delusional and out of touch fans are. I guess you just think some coach should want to work at Penn State for under market salary and win?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT