ADVERTISEMENT

Consider how bad the QB recruiting & coaching has been

I was just writing a post about this yesterday and hit a wrong keystroke and the whole message was gone. being a "pick and pecker', i decided against spending another 20 minutes re-writing. However, since the subject is being brought back up....

Assuming no injury this year....

Looking at the schedule this year, it is hard to see where whomever the back-up QB is (let's assume it is CV) will receive any meaningful playing time. This is based on how Franklin has historically played the position. Let's say for arguments sake that CV see's 1 full game of "mop-up" duty over the course of the year. Next spring, you are looking at a returning JR (CV), and two SO's (Allar & Pribula) - one of which will surely RS, with 1 game started (Rutgers 2021) between the three.

I am interested in seeing what the board thinks in regards to the starting QB position. Another year of Clifford? Is he THAT much better than CV...if he had a couple more games under his belt? Assuming next spring is an open competition, you would have to reasonably expect 1 of the QBs to transfer at the end of spring depending on how the depth chart shakes out and how things worked out got Levis.

I know there will be those that post "I trust in Franklin", but surely you have an opinion other than that, right?

Reactions: The Spin Meister
when Clifford, is in year 6 & is still the starting quarterback.
QB and OL have been dumpster fires as of late.

Regarding QB, we have to understand that 2020 was a mess due to COVID. That the B1G shut down the season, everyone went home, PA forbade any social interaction including sex and PSU was screwed when the B1G decided to have a season after all. Then in the 2021 season, we apparently did not have a backup QB. The result was that we wouldn't run SC for fear of him getting hurt and the defenses adjusted. Then, he DID get hurt and our backup QB couldn't successfully execute a snap from scrimmage (the xfered out). Then, for whatever reason, the staff wouldn't play anyone except the injured and run-challenged SC for almost the entire year.

If we have a decent OL, which has been a systemic problem for over a decade, SC will play well. And if we can develop one of the second teamers so SC can run the ball in the RPO (so the defenses actually have to cover that option) we'll be much better.

PA and the B1G in August/Sept of 2020

BewitchedConfusedIbisbill-size_restricted.gif

In my opinion, we only have a few more years of Coach Franklin leading the program. There was some buzz last Fall right after Franklin's new contract was announced that Franklin was selling the program internally that 2023-2025 are "his years" to be held accountable under the current deal. If Franklin continues to underperform, then I think Franklin will leave on his own accord soon after the 2025 season. Not a chance that anyone would support paying Franklin $8-10 million a year for consistent underperformance.

when Clifford, is in year 6 & is still the starting quarterback.st year has has had two top coordinators.
Was thinking 7 wins, 8 drafted, is it the coaching.? I like Franklin and the professionalism. This will be the first year he has had two top coordinators. Always thought the last DC was ordinary and did not adapt, evidenced by the fourth quarter melt downs.

In my opinion, we only have a few more years of Coach Franklin leading the program. There was some buzz last Fall right after Franklin's new contract was announced that Franklin was selling the program internally that 2023-2025 are "his years" to be held accountable under the current deal. If Franklin continues to underperform, then I think Franklin will leave on his own accord soon after the 2025 season. Not a chance that anyone would support paying Franklin $8-10 million a year for consistent underperformance.
Um. What? The man is getting $80m. He’s not leaving on his own accord to give up that money. He literally has all the leverage, happily provided to him by the departing AD who would never have to deal with it.

Um. What? The man is getting $80m. He’s not leaving on his own accord to give up that money. He literally has all the leverage, happily provided to him by the departing AD who would never have to deal with it.
The pressures, and the influence, of internal politics will be enough to force Franklin out the door. And how will Franklin react when he keeps seeing his name pop-up in the Most Overrated Coaches category. One thing that is obvious is that Coach Franklin does not deal well with stress or uncontrollable pressures, which he admitted back in 2020 during COVID-19.

If you read this site and the other site, you will see that the general interest in Penn State's Football program has diminished over the last couple of years. If you think a few more years of underperformance are going to convince Coach Franklin to stay, then I'm not sure what else to say. I know several lifelong Penn State fans who have said they have never felt so disinterested in the Football program as they do right now, and these are Penn State fans who suffered through the 2000-2004 spat.

Plus our backup from 2 years ago transfers to a low level SEC team and after 1 year of their coaching is now projected as a first round draft pick.
If it’s “their coaching” that developed Levis….how come they’ve never developed another even half way decent QB? Eight years with crap QB’s, a backup from PSU comes there, has a good year, and suddenly the UK staff are QB whisperers…..gimme a break.

The pressures, and the influence, of internal politics will be enough to force Franklin out the door. And how will Franklin react when he keeps seeing his name pop-up in the Most Overrated Coaches category. One thing that is obvious is that Coach Franklin does not deal well with stress or uncontrollable pressures, which he admitted back in 2020 during COVID-19.

If you read this site and the other site, you will see that the general interest in Penn State's Football program has diminished over the last couple of years. If you think a few more years of underperformance are going to convince Coach Franklin to stay, then I'm not sure what else to say. I know several lifelong Penn State fans who have said they have never felt so disinterested in the Football program as they do right now, and these are Penn State fans who suffered through the 2000-2004 spat.
I believe that the diminished interest in the PSU program also is affected by the current state of big time college football in general. This is allegedly a sport played by "student" athletes, which is a farce, that now has better free agency than the NFL and many participants who are getting paid more than NFL players. Smart people see that many of the recruits have no loyalty to the schools, which makes those insipid photos of them wearing school's uniforms when they come onto campus for visits even more grating. The whole package sucks right now, and not only at PSU. I really hope that the whole system collapses soon, and a true minor football league is formed so that these schools don't have act like prostitutes.

Specifically regarding PSU, if we're being honest with ourselves, this program is beginning to remind me of what happened to Pitt after 1982; it was a slow and precipitous fall from which that program never has recovered.

Last edited:
when Clifford, is in year 6 & is still the starting quarterback.
And we'll probably waste three fourths of the snaps waiting for Lee to do something at running back and of course Ford will get his two carries a game.
I never understand how Franklin handles player rotations or development.
With the game in the line late in the fourth quarter against Michigan when we finally had the lead and the crowd was in a frenzy - our two best defensive lineman needed a rest. Smh

Reactions: #1PSU
If it’s “their coaching” that developed Levis….how come they’ve never developed another even half way decent QB? Eight years with crap QB’s, a backup from PSU comes there, has a good year, and suddenly the UK staff are QB whisperers…..gimme a break.
OK - so how do you explain Levis' great performance at Kentucky last year and the fact that he is a projected first round pick when he couldn't even beat out Clifford at PSU?

• Haha
Reactions: Mark80 and Lion8286
And we'll probably waste three fourths of the snaps waiting for Lee to do something at running back and of course Ford will get his two carries a game.
I never understand how Franklin handles player rotations or development.
With the game in the line late in the fourth quarter against Michigan when we finally had the lead and the crowd was in a frenzy - our two best defensive lineman needed a rest. Smh
I'm really looking forward to another season in which our injury-prone qb has more rushing attempts than any rb. I for one am tired of watching this style of offense, which basically has infiltrated all of college football, save for a few like Bama. Maybe it's time to get back to a pro-style offense with the qb under the center and two backs. Michigan began to do that last season and made it to the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUPride1
I'm really looking forward to another season in which our injury-prone qb has more rushing attempts than any rb. I for one am tired of watching this style of offense, which basically has infiltrated all of college football, save for a few including Bama. Maybe it's time to get back to a pro-style offense with the qb under the center and two backs. Michigan began to do that last season and made it to the playoffs.
I agree and I think we will see the pro-style offense once Drew Allar and Nick Singleton are ready to be the starters.

Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
OK - so how do you explain Levis' great performance at Kentucky last year and the fact that he is a projected first round pick when he couldn't even beat out Clifford at PSU?
First off, his performance last year was far short of “great”. They had a good year as a team and he was part of that, but the OLine, the running game and WanDale had as much or more to do with that than Levis. Might want to wait and see how things shake out this year before we determine whether he’s a first round pick. And looking at history, it’s much more likely if Levis winds up a first round pick it has more to do with what he learned at PSU than what he learned at UK.

I believe that the diminished interest in the PSU program also is affected by the current state of big time college football in general. This is allegedly a sport played by "student" athletes, which is a farce, that now has better free agency than the NFL and many participants who are getting paid more than NFL players. Smart people see that many of the recruits have no loyalty to the schools, which makes those insipid photos of them wearing school's uniforms when they come onto campus for visits even more grating. The whole package sucks right now, and not only at PSU. I really hope that the whole system collapses soon, and a true minor football league is formed so that these schools don't have act like prostitutes.

Specifically regarding PSU, if we're being honest with ourselves, this program is beginning to remind me of what happened to Pitt after 1982; it was a slow and precipitous fall from which that program never has recovered.
Come on now confess up; you really are Debbie Downer right? Geez.

Levis was never given the opportunity to throw the ball when he entered the game everyone knew he was going to run

I'm looking forward to 10 more years.

First off, his performance last year was far short of “great”. They had a good year as a team and he was part of that, but the OLine, the running game and WanDale had as much or more to do with that than Levis. Might want to wait and see how things shake out this year before we determine whether he’s a first round pick. And looking at history, it’s much more likely if Levis winds up a first round pick it has more to do with what he learned at PSU than what he learned at UK.
You mean learning to carry the clip board made him what he became at UK???!!!!!

I'm looking forward to 10 more years.
Coach Franklin was ranked the #10 Best Head Coach in 2020, #11 in 2021, and now the #15 Best Head Coach in 2022. In 10 more years, Coach Franklin may not even be in the Top 30 Best Head Coaches category, and wow that would be a terrible investment on Penn State's part!!!!

Coach Franklin was ranked the #10 Best Head Coach in 2020, #11 in 2021, and now the #15 Best Head Coach in 2022. In 10 more years, Coach Franklin may not even be in the Top 30 Best Head Coaches category, and wow that would be a terrible investment on Penn State's part!!!!
Who does the rating you?
I've enjoyed the Pin Stripe, Citrus, Rose and Fiesta Bowl. I like Franklin, how he recruits, represents the university and the football program. He's a good husband, father, role model and educator.
PSU has had two down years. No one needs to sugar coat that. It happens. Texas, Nebraska and Florida State to name a few have had some bad stretches as well. Deal with it.
You can hold your breath, stomp your feet, scream.....bitch and moan.....but the decision makers agree with me and his 10 year contract is proof. I'm going to enjoy it.....because as far as I know, we are all just spectators.

Must have been watching different games than I did. Levis was permitted to pass and was not very good.
He didn't throw down field last year either. Cliff actually threw for more yards. Watch out for projections.....LOL
The following players were drafted in front of HOF Derek Jeter (and therefore predicated to be better players)
Phil Nevin, Paul Shuey, BJ Wallace, Jeffrey Hammonds and Chad Mottola.......

More likely he went to a coach (and a program) that has never developed a QB and in one season they developed him into a number one pick….only Penn State fans would think that.
Well posters here understand that practice is meaningless.....you need to throw a guy into the game and see what they can do! LOL

Reactions: AWS1022
Franklin isn't a top 30 coach now nor has he ever been one.

Reactions: butchnitt
Well if that's true, you have admit he's done a great job providing for his family......despite his handicap. LOL
His nickname isn't coach hype for nothing. He is by no means bad but he isn't good. If he were, he would have three or Big Ten championship game appearances minimum and he wouldn't have backed into the one he did have with the third best team in the East. He also wouldn't continue to recruit dual threat quarterbacks (1 last year and 1 in the current class) when they went the way of the dodo following the 2019 season. He probably wouldn't bring in system coordinators like MY in the era of the transfer portal either.

I must have missed the clipboard he was carrying when he played in those games. Where did he put it? Down the front or back of his uniform?
I am not getting your response. Guess I'm just thick. Because I don't remember many games with our Lions that he got much playing time.

His nickname isn't coach hype for nothing. He is by no means bad but he isn't good. If he were, he would have three or Big Ten championship game appearances minimum and he wouldn't have backed into the one he did have with the third best team in the East. He also wouldn't continue to recruit dual threat quarterbacks (1 last year and 1 in the current class) when they went the way of the dodo following the 2019 season. He probably wouldn't bring in system coordinators like MY in the era of the transfer portal either.
3rd best team in East in '16? C'mon. So no QBs are supposed to be able to run? Talk about a negative take.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT