ADVERTISEMENT

Congratulations PSU

What a game! Please, Please, Please!!! Win the conference tourney!

I told you this game made me nervous. I knew it would be tough to beat PSU. What fight your team has.

I will be cheering for PSU tomorrow big time!

Cheers!

Thank you. I always appreciate your insight and respect for us.

Reactions: FHSPSU67 and psu00

I told you this game made me nervous. I knew it would be tough to beat PSU. What fight your team has.

Cheers!

Very nice post after what I'm sure was a frustrating game for you Gopher fan. You always represent yourself and your university very well. Add me to the list of those who appreciate your input here regarding college hockey.

Cheers!
Thanks! Good luck to the Gophers in the tourney. At least they don't seed conference opponents to play one another in the 1st round - I wouldn't want to see the Lions have to play the Gophers again next weekend in an opener!!!

I have an old Army buddy who lives just outside of St. Paul. Nice city! Visited some years ago and took in a PSU-Minnesota football game at the new stadium (think it was the inaugural season, but maybe it was the second or third season after it opened) - great venue. Will have to plan a trip around a hockey game one of these years!

Reactions: STPGopherfan
Cheers!
My philosophy has been to despise all other BigTen schools, their teams, and their fans. Your post makes me question the wisdom of that position.

Reactions: STPGopherfan
PSU seemed to jump on a lot of uncharacteristic play and turnovers by the Gopher D. I haven't seen our team as tenacious on the forecheck from the drop of the puck to final whistle in a long time. That set the tone and kept Minnesota on their heels.

Goalies were awesome at both ends. Still, for as well as PSU was playing I just had an uneasy feeling the longer that dragged on that we'd end up on the bad end of it because of how quick Minnesota can make you pay for a mistake. PSU was playing too good and clean in their own end for most of the night.

Fatigue has to be a factor tonight but also think PSU may be playing with house money the rest of the way. That win had to be a huge lift off their shoulders so I'd expect a looser and more confident team.

PSU seemed to jump on a lot of uncharacteristic play and turnovers by the Gopher D. I haven't seen our team as tenacious on the forecheck from the drop of the puck to final whistle in a long time. That set the tone and kept Minnesota on their heels.

Goalies were awesome at both ends. Still, for as well as PSU was playing I just had an uneasy feeling the longer that dragged on that we'd end up on the bad end of it because of how quick Minnesota can make you pay for a mistake. PSU was playing too good and clean in their own end for most of the night.

Fatigue has to be a factor tonight but also think PSU may be playing with house money the rest of the way. That win had to be a huge lift off their shoulders so I'd expect a looser and more confident team.

Thanks for the analysis. I missed the game, and I'm not finding much in the way of video highlights.

Thanks for the analysis. I missed the game, and I'm not finding much in the way of video highlights.

PSU played, by far and away, its best game of the season last night. As someone that's been pretty critical of the team the past several weeks, I was sitting there halfway through the game thinking we're doing every conceivable thing to win that game and could have been proud regardless of the result. As that ticked into OT and double OT you could just see the teams willing the game on and on in spite of being exhausted....it was excellent sport.

College hockey has a ton of parity. There is no Alabama or Clemson at the top. PSU will be a longshot for a tournament run but the Frozen Four tournament sees low seeds get hot and ride that into the final weekend quite regularly. If PSU can bottle that effort last night they can truly beat anyone. The key is also getting Jones in that zone too. He was quite remarkable, especially in OT.

Very nice post after what I'm sure was a frustrating game for you Gopher fan. You always represent yourself and your university very well. Add me to the list of those who appreciate your input here regarding college hockey.
Not as knowledgeable as many posters on this site, but thank you! The game wasn't all that frustrating. To me it was a wake-up call. I am glad it happened during the conference tourney. I am hopeful that Lucia can come up with some ideas to make the team better. The defense men will need to step it up.

Enough of the Gophers. This is PSU's time. Ever since PSU joined the conference, I had this feeling that the Nittany Lions could be a force sooner than later. PSU is a great addition to what could very soon be a great hockey conference.

Though tired, if careful with the puck, I can see this young PSU team pulling this off. Not sure of their new coach, but Wisconsin is known to steal the puck and score on odd man rushes early then just sit on the puck. What I like about your team, is that they are able to impose their will on other teams. This Nittany Lion team is playing play-off level hockey at just the right time!

Hopefully I will be posting congratulations to the new BigTen Tourney Champions!

Reactions: BBrown and psu00
My philosophy has been to despise all other BigTen schools, their teams, and their fans. Your post makes me question the wisdom of that position.

What I've learned from Penn State fans is that it is okay to have a friendly "rivalry". I put rivalry in quotation marks because I'd guess that most wouldn't consider Minnesota a football rival. Our program hasn't run with the big dogs in decades. Still PSU has always been a class act program. In victory and in defeat. Love him or hate him, I never will forget that after the 97' football game, Joe Paterno came in and gave a very gracious pep-talk to the Gopher football team. Many consider that game as the point were the program started to turn it around from being a cellar dweller. Now if only we can raise up from being mediocre...

Cheers!

Thanks! Good luck to the Gophers in the tourney. At least they don't seed conference opponents to play one another in the 1st round - I wouldn't want to see the Lions have to play the Gophers again next weekend in an opener!!!

I have an old Army buddy who lives just outside of St. Paul. Nice city! Visited some years ago and took in a PSU-Minnesota football game at the new stadium (think it was the inaugural season, but maybe it was the second or third season after it opened) - great venue. Will have to plan a trip around a hockey game one of these years!

Do it! You might be able to plan a weekend around football and hockey if late in the season. Let me know early enough and maybe I can set-up something at Mariucci arena. I don't have hockey season tickets(football), but the athletic department does a fair job with all season ticket holders and fans in general.

Not as knowledgeable as many posters on this site, but thank you! The game wasn't all that frustrating. To me it was a wake-up call. I am glad it happened during the conference tourney. I am hopeful that Lucia can come up with some ideas to make the team better. The defense men will need to step it up.

Enough of the Gophers. This is PSU's time. Ever since PSU joined the conference, I had this feeling that the Nittany Lions could be a force sooner than later. PSU is a great addition to what could very soon be a great hockey conference.

Though tired, if careful with the puck, I can see this young PSU team pulling this off. Not sure of their new coach, but Wisconsin is known to steal the puck and score on odd man rushes early then just sit on the puck. What I like about your team, is that they are able to impose their will on other teams. This Nittany Lion team is playing play-off level hockey at just the right time!

Hopefully I will be posting congratulations to the new BigTen Tourney Champions!

It's great to get some hockey discussion that involves fans of other schools. Minnesota and BC are obviously programs with great hockey tradition and we've had posters from both schools add to the discussions.

College hockey is relatively new to most here. Traditionally we've been more focused on NHL hockey with the usual intra-state war whenever the Pens play the Flyers. It's good to get the college hockey posts as well.

This Sunday the hockey brackets are set (IIRC???). It will be interesting to see how things play out for both the Gophers and Penn State.

PSU played, by far and away, its best game of the season last night. As someone that's been pretty critical of the team the past several weeks, I was sitting there halfway through the game thinking we're doing every conceivable thing to win that game and could have been proud regardless of the result. As that ticked into OT and double OT you could just see the teams willing the game on and on in spite of being exhausted....it was excellent sport.

College hockey has a ton of parity. There is no Alabama or Clemson at the top. PSU will be a longshot for a tournament run but the Frozen Four tournament sees low seeds get hot and ride that into the final weekend quite regularly. If PSU can bottle that effort last night they can truly beat anyone. The key is also getting Jones in that zone too. He was quite remarkable, especially in OT.

Thanks. I'm sorry I missed it, but I'll be watching tonight.

It's great to get some hockey discussion that involves fans of other schools. Minnesota and BC are obviously programs with great hockey tradition and we've had posters from both schools add to the discussions.

College hockey is relatively new to most here. Traditionally we've been more focused on NHL hockey with the usual intra-state war whenever the Pens play the Flyers. It's good to get the college hockey posts as well.

This Sunday the hockey brackets are set (IIRC???). It will be interesting to see how things play out for both the Gophers and Penn State.

Yes you are blessed to have both NHL teams! Many Gopher fans have followed the Penguins because of Sidney (wish he would have been a Gopher Crosby and the late Herb Brooks. Funny because I kind followed the Flyers years ago.

Reactions: psu00
ADVERTISEMENT