ADVERTISEMENT

Congratulations John Petrishen! Ex-Nittany Lion!!

The same guy who couldn’t beat out Lamont Wade, Jonathan Sutherland, or Garrett Taylor is very good???? 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
He had a good year for Pitt so you have to be happy for the kid. Could have been a late bloomer or position change really helped him. Or just maybe the PSU coaching staff misused him , after all OWEH is tearing up the NFL and he had ZERO SACKS ST PSU. Coaching malfeasance?

The same guy who couldn’t beat out Lamont Wade, Jonathan Sutherland, or Garrett Taylor is very good???? 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Odd thing that... he plays LB at spitt. NOT in the secondary.

At LB... where he's quite effective.

But hey, spitt just won the acc (in a blowout) but we all know being #8 in the B1G is FAR better than #1 in the acc.

lmfao.

He had a good year for Pitt so you have to be happy for the kid. Could have been a late bloomer or position change really helped him. Or just maybe the PSU coaching staff misused him , after all OWEH is tearing up the NFL and he had ZERO SACKS ST PSU. Coaching malfeasance?
The same coaching staff who turned Ebiketie into a potential second day draft pick somehow committed malfeasance with Oweh? How odd…..

The same coaching staff who turned Ebiketie into a potential second day draft pick somehow committed malfeasance with Oweh? How odd…..
So you presume he came here as a meh kinda player and blossomed into a killer at DE? I take nothing away from the staff as I'm sure they guided this already quite talented player into becoming the best he can be. I'd wager our S&C folks (plus better facilities, meals, environment etc) also contributed a bit.

But hey, spitt just won the acc (in a blowout) but we all know being #8 in the B1G is FAR better than #1 in the acc.

lmfao.
Ok, I’ll play along. Which PSU LB would he supplant? Brooks? Jacobs? Smith? Katshir? Nothing wrong with being a minnow in a Dixie cup, but being a minnow in a lake is much different. I bear no ill will toward Petrishen, but I won’t suppress my laughter whe someone refers to him as a great player.

I have no earthly idea where Pitt would fall in the B1G pecking order, but I know that they wouldn’t be playing for a conference championship. They are 2020 Indiana. Nothing more and nothing less.

Last edited:
Explain Zero sacks when now going against NFL PROS who are 10 X better football players he is tearing up the league. Maybe putting him in not the best scheme or position to utilize his talent and be PRODUCTIVE.

Explain Zero sacks when now going against NFL PROS who are 10 X better football players he is tearing up the league. Maybe putting him in not the best scheme or position to utilize his talent and be more PRODUCTIVE. Zero sacks come on.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Ok, I’ll play along. Which PSU LB would he supplant? Brooks? Jacobs? Smith? Katshir? Nothing wrong with being a minnow in a Dixie cup, but being a minnow in a lake is much different. I bear no I’ll will toward Petrishen, but I won’t suppress my laughter whe someone refers to him as a great player.

I have no earthly idea where Pitt would fall in the B1G pecking order, but I know that they wouldn’t be playing for a conference championship. They are 2020 Indiana. Nothing more and nothing less.
You get no argument from me. But maybe Smith because Smith has been a disappointment and maybe a coach would have said, 'hey, I want to FING WIN, not look like a prized specimen who can't wrap up.' I kept waiting for Smith to become all he could be.. he never did. So perhaps a guy like JP gets the nod. [I'm certain Smith will kill it on pro day and get drafted 2-4 round, but he better step up his game.]

Maybe.

All we're saying is in the scheme of things, he did great and spitt stepped it up. We might not like it anymore than JH doing things right at um, but it's hard to argue with success. The kid had a great year. I think that was the main point of the OP... maybe I got that wrong.

So you presume he came here as a meh kinda player and blossomed into a killer at DE? I take nothing away from the staff as I'm sure they guided this already quite talented player into becoming the best he can be. I'd wager our S&C folks (plus better facilities, meals, environment etc) also contributed a bit.
Yet you feel free to impugn the staff for Oweh’s lackluster senior season. You seem confused.

Ebiketie had 6 total sacks in three years at Temple. Yes, that’s the definition of meh. He eclipsed that total by 50% this year. I’ll go ahead and give credit to the coaching staff since I’m pretty sure that they have coaches, a weight room, and a cafeteria at Temple.

Last edited:
Yet you feel free to impugn the staff for Oweh’s lackluster senior season. You seem confused.

Ebiketie had 6 total sacks in three years at Temple. Yes, that’s the definition of meh. He eclipsed that total by 50% this year. I’ll go ahead and give credit to the coaching staff since I’m pretty sure that they have coaches, a weight room, and a cafeteria at Trmple.
Actually, I didn't mention oweh, that was another poster... but in truth, i agree with that poster. Oweh should have done more and whether he didn't try hard (doubtful), didn't have a supporting cast to allow him to blossom (reasonable) or was not put in position to be a killer DE (dunno).

As to Ebiketie, he had a lousy supporting cast at temple and i suspect needed better facilities, S&C, and yes, better coaching to become the beast he has become. I don't take anything from the staff here... they helped him to be the best he could be. Maybe they learned something from watching oweh.

Gut hunch is that oweh simply needed one more year to become what he is now. That would have happened this year (and can you imagine oweh and Eb at DE all season long... omg).

So I'm not disparaging the coaches at all... sometimes players just need another year. Both oweh and Eb are examples. imo, of course.

Explain Zero sacks when now going against NFL PROS who are 10 X better football players he is tearing up the league. Maybe putting him in not the best scheme or position to utilize his talent and be PRODUCTIVE.
Perhaps you’re correct.

On the other hand, perhaps he was injured or trying to avoid injury. The scheme and position didn’t appear to hamper Oweh the previous two seasons when he recorded 7 sacks in 13 games.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
You get no argument from me. But maybe Smith because Smith has been a disappointment and maybe a coach would have said, 'hey, I want to FING WIN, not look like a prized specimen who can't wrap up.' I kept waiting for Smith to become all he could be.. he never did. So perhaps a guy like JP gets the nod. [I'm certain Smith will kill it on pro day and get drafted 2-4 round, but he better step up his game.]

Maybe.

All we're saying is in the scheme of things, he did great and spitt stepped it up. We might not like it anymore than JH doing things right at um, but it's hard to argue with success. The kid had a great year. I think that was the main point of the OP... maybe I got that wrong.
The point of the OP was that “he is a very good football player”. I don’t agree.

Actually, I didn't mention oweh, that was another poster... but in truth, i agree with that poster. Oweh should have done more and whether he didn't try hard (doubtful), didn't have a supporting cast to allow him to blossom (reasonable) or was not put in position to be a killer DE (dunno).

As to Ebiketie, he had a lousy supporting cast at temple and i suspect needed better facilities, S&C, and yes, better coaching to become the beast he has become. I don't take anything from the staff here... they helped him to be the best he could be. Maybe they learned something from watching oweh.

Gut hunch is that oweh simply needed one more year to become what he is now. That would have happened this year (and can you imagine oweh and Eb at DE all season long... omg).

So I'm not disparaging the coaches at all... sometimes players just need another year. Both oweh and Eb are examples. imo, of course.
Fair enough.

My hunch is that Oweh played through an injury. He was nothing close to his 2019 version who was constantly disrupting the offensive backfield.

The problem I have with many others here is that they will dismiss the development of Ebiketie as incidental, but will crucify the coaching staff for Oweh’s last year. Can’t have it both ways.

Last edited:
Ok, I’ll play along. Which PSU LB would he supplant? Brooks? Jacobs? Smith? Katshir? Nothing wrong with being a minnow in a Dixie cup, but being a minnow in a lake is much different. I bear no ill will toward Petrishen, but I won’t suppress my laughter whe someone refers to him as a great player.

Point taken but who was it that referred to him as a great player?

I, myself, said he was a very good football player and I based it on the stats that I provided.

And, as for us in 2020:

2020 Penn State Nittany Lions Stats​

Record: 4-5 (73rd of 128) (Schedule & Results)

He simply found his niche and team where he made a major contribution.

Last edited:
The point of the OP was that “he is a very good football player”. I don’t agree.
We don't agree... but that's not a problem... we're all entitled to our opinion. Time will tell. imo, he had a "very good" year playing for the #1 team in the acc. Doesn't necessarily make him a very good player, but not too shabby. :)

Point taken but who was it that referred to him as a great player?

I, myself, said he was a very good football player and I based it on the stats that I provided.

And, as for us in 2020:

2020 Penn State Nittany Lions Stats​

Record: 4-5 (73rd of 128) (Schedule & Results)

He simply found his niche and team where he made a major contribution.
Referencing 2020???? A year where PSU was without their two best RBs, best LB, best TE, had no spring practice, an abbreviated and delayed fall camp, weren’t permitted to have in person team meetings, a new OC with no time to implement his offense, weekly false positive Covid tests that eliminated practice time, a head coach separated from his family, no fans allowed for games, players quarantined from each other, etc, etc. Probably not a good example of anything other than how gullible and soft this country has become.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: IIVI and N&B4PSU

The OP referred to him as a "very good" player.

Let's see where he falls on draft day.

Your dismissive attitude toward him is pretty weak.

Reactions: psualt
PlayerGTotalSackIntYdsIntTD
John Petrishen12914.53351

He may now be a Pitt Panther but he IS a very good football player!
Amazing that he couldn’t get playing time. I know he had some injuries but expected him to do more.
I think the stats you posted are incorrect though as everywhere else shows 59 total (27 solo + 32 asst). FYI Personally I think sports-reference gives best stats that are easy to drill down on.

Last edited:
Amazing that he couldn’t get playing time. I know he had some injuries but expected him to do more.
I think the stats you posted are incorrect though as everywhere else shows 59 total (27 solo + 32 asst). FYI Personally I think sports-reference gives best stats that are easy to drill down on.
You are comparing a 7th year senior compared to a underclassmen at Penn State. He is older than most NFL rookies. It took him 7 years to see playing time for a reason.

lmfao.
It also took him 7 seasons to make any kind of impact.

Pitt is the luckiest team in college football...they played one ranked team all season. Lost to the last place team in the MAC west at home. They have like 4 7th year seniors. They luck into having Pickett for a 6th year. They will be back to losing 5 games a year next year.

You are comparing a 7th year senior compared to a underclassmen at Penn State. He is older than most NFL rookies. It took him 7 years to see playing time for a reason.
Maybe you could show me where I compared him to anyone.

It also took him 7 seasons to make any kind of impact.

Pitt is the luckiest team in college football...they played one ranked team all season. Lost to the last place team in the MAC west at home. They have like 4 7th year seniors. They luck into having Pickett for a 6th year. They will be back to losing 5 games a year next year.
Rumor has it Pitt is dropping football

Yes, those three first round NFL draft picks. Head scratcher huh?

lmfao.
You keep telling urself that lmao

The OP referred to him as a "very good" player.

Let's see where he falls on draft day.

Your dismissive attitude toward him is pretty weak.
Draft day????
The guy will be an undrafted free agent. If he makes a practice squad, good for him. As someone else pointed out, he’s 25 years old. You read that correctly. TWENTY FIVE. He played for PSU in 2015. This is his SEVENTH season of college football. He was a member of Franklin’s first recruiting class that he recruited by himself. That’s not dismissive. It’s putting things in the proper perspective.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Draft day????
The guy will be an undrafted free agent. If he makes a practice squad, good for him. As someone else pointed out, he’s 25 years old. You read that correctly. TWENTY FIVE. He played for PSU in 2015. This is his SEVENTH season of college football. He was a member of Franklin’s first recruiting class that he recruited by himself. That’s not dismissive. It’s putting things in the proper perspective.
Now that is a reasonable argument.

Draft day????
You are so correct. He should have quit football after his failure at PSU. And if you are not first your are last. Hopefully the fellow can work at a UPMC facility. Why can’t you be happy he got to succeed. Are you an accountant?

• Sad

Got the stats from the Yahoo team sports page on Pitt football. They could be off some I suppose.

Reactions: psualt and N&B4PSU
You are so correct. He should have quit football after his failure at PSU. And if you are not first your are last. Hopefully the fellow can work at a UPMC facility. Why can’t you be happy he got to succeed. Are you an accountant?
Right. Iirc he hurt his shoulder twice and got buried on the depth chart. We ended up with two all B1G safeties this season.

Reactions: TFBaum and TheGLOV
Referencing 2020???? A year where PSU was without their two best RBs, best LB, best TE, had no spring practice, an abbreviated and delayed fall camp, weren’t permitted to have in person team meetings, a new OC with no time to implement his offense, weekly false positive Covid tests that eliminated practice time, a head coach separated from his family, no fans allowed for games, players quarantined from each other, etc, etc. Probably not a good example of anything other than how gullible and soft this country has become.

I was just following up YOUR reference to the PSU 2020 team coupled with the Indiana 2020 team.

Thank you for providing me the opportunity to point that out. Thank you again for reading pleasure where you criticize yourself basically.

Merry Christmas!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT