ADVERTISEMENT

Conference realignment

I would be quite surprised if the SEC commissioner has not already figured out if he has the votes to get Texas and Oklahoma into the conference.
Can not imagine them getting rejected and asking the Big XII for permission to reenter that conference.
An iteration of the “ if we offered you, would you accept,” which is used to deny ever have made an offer.

Agreed. Greg Sankey (SEC Commish) isn't stupid. If he doesn't have the votes, there will be no official vote. Whether that has been determined already, who knows...

Seems to me that conference affiliations will become less and less relevant for downstream sports like wrestling. National qualifiers (may not even be NCAA qualifiers anymore) will become more regionally based. No requirements for conference duals either. May take awhile but I would believe this will occur.

Seems to me that conference affiliations will become less and less relevant for downstream sports like wrestling. National qualifiers (may not even be NCAA qualifiers anymore) will become more regionally based. No requirements for conference duals either. May take awhile but I would believe this will occur.
Maybe TanTom will move the OSU wrestling room to a beach. I do see the new conference shuffle not being favorable to wrestling also.

Reactions: therod
AAU member schools:

By conference:
ACC: Duke, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Pitt, Virginia
B10: everybody except Nebraska
SEC: Florida, Missouri, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
B12: Iowa State, Kansas, Texas
P12: Arizona, Colorado, Oregon, Stanford, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Spoiled Children, Utah, Washington

Rice, Tulane, and Buffalo all belong -- guessing B10 isn't interested in them.

Notre Dame doesn't belong, but B10 wouldn't care ... except for ACC having their rights for 15 more years.

Reactions: diggerpup
So I think its decided. Leverage Texas A&M hate of UT to get them out of the SEC (get D1 wrestling back in Texas) then go after either BC, Virginia or UNC.

AAU member schools:

By conference:
P12: Arizona, Colorado, Oregon, Stanford, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Spoiled Children, Utah, Washington

Notre Dame doesn't belong, but B10 wouldn't care ... except for ACC having their rights for 15 more years.

Interesting AAU article from the Yucks. I've never seen the year accepted into the AAU before:
Linky

I have to ask why aren't ND and BC members? Both are elite research universities

Interesting AAU article from the Yucks. I've never seen the year accepted into the AAU before:
Linky

I have to ask why aren't ND and BC members? Both are elite research universities
Here is the AAU Membership document:

Hard to tell without seeing data. Maybe they're not soaking Washington enough?

The Big Ten and PAC 12 should announce a formal affiliation for football and basketball only- with an appropriate number of cross conference games ( no schools getting added or dropped).
Olympic sports would stay as they are today. As such, wrestling would stay just like it is today. The Big Ten is so dominant in wrestling that adding minor overall franchises like Okl. State and Iowa State- that have very good wrestling teams- would only add to the existing overwhelming dominance.
The two networks would continue to exist.
And I would like to see a relationship with the Rose Bowl that previously existed (e.g. big ten champ playing the Pac12 champ).

The Big Ten and PAC 12 should announce a formal affiliation for football and basketball only- with an appropriate number of cross conference games ( no schools getting added or dropped).
Olympic sports would stay as they are today. As such, wrestling would stay just like it is today. The Big Ten is so dominant in wrestling that adding minor overall franchises like Okl. State and Iowa State- that have very good wrestling teams- would only add to the existing overwhelming dominance.
The two networks would continue to exist.
And I would like to see a relationship with the Rose Bowl that previously existed (e.g. big ten champ playing the Pac12 champ).
Would need the Pac-12 to add 2 schools. The afflitiation would not need to include basketball. Create an alliance for football which results in each school playing 2 OOC games a year against the other conference. The goal would be to get the games in the 10 PM EST time slot to get more exposure for the Pac-12 schools in that time slot which should help increase TV revenue for both conferences.

Problem right now is nobody watches the Pac12 games that start at 10 PM EST. People would tune in to watch PSU, Ohio St, Michigan, MSU, etc in that time slot, even if they are playing Washington St.

Would need the Pac-12 to add 2 schools. The afflitiation would not need to include basketball. Create an alliance for football which results in each school playing 2 OOC games a year against the other conference. The goal would be to get the games in the 10 PM EST time slot to get more exposure for the Pac-12 schools in that time slot which should help increase TV revenue for both conferences.

Problem right now is nobody watches the Pac12 games that start at 10 PM EST. People would tune in to watch PSU, Ohio St, Michigan, MSU, etc in that time slot, even if they are playing Washington St.
Or just leave the 2 bottom feeders out of the football affiliation each year.

Or, Michigan and Ohio State can play each other a few more times each year.

BC fits the B10 mold. B10 expansion has always been about TV market access.

According to Nielsen (LINK), BC would bring 4.9M homes:
RankMarket# Homes
10​
Boston (Manchester)
2,489,620​
32​
Hartford & New Haven
1,002,710​
52​
Providence-New Bedford
619,140​
78​
Portland-Auburn
409,560​
116​
Springfield-Holyoke
257,110​
155​
Bangor
141,120​

OKST brings fewer TV sets than Providence:
RankMarket# Homes
61​
Tulsa
552,980​
Oklahoma State offers 2.1 million viewers for Football, and if you take out the OU, and Texas games it’s 1.6 million viewers. They also offer lots of the Dallas/FTW market.

They send lots of fans for travel for wrestling as well.

Dallas market is a mixture of

Arkansas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech

Oklahoma State offers 2.1 million viewers for Football, and if you take out the OU, and Texas games it’s 1.6 million viewers. They also offer lots of the Dallas/FTW market.

They send lots of fans for travel for wrestling as well.

Dallas market is a mixture of

Arkansas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
That's not how it works.

If Texas plays West Virginia and OKST plays Kansas at the same time, which game gets shown in Dallas? Hint: not OKST.

That's not how it works.

If Texas plays West Virginia and OKST plays Kansas at the same time, which game gets shown in Dallas? Hint: not OKST.

If you are giving those games then we’ll its not going to be either it’s going to be the A&M vs Arky game.

Which is why everything is moving to stream which OSU numbers wise is better than everyone besides UT, and UT-Norman.

Continuing along those lines ...

The obvious biggest target of them all (in terms of TV homes within its markets) is Texas, with 7M homes. Though some of those markets would include A&M, Baylor, Texas Tech, etc., it's hard to imagine that UT would not have at least a share of those markets.

Also note that this does not include Albuquerque (48th, 717k homes). ABQ is littered with Dallas Cowboys fans, so it's quite possible that they would also get a share of Texas games.

RankMarket# Homes
5​
Dallas-Ft. Worth
2,962,520​
31​
San Antonio
1,031,180​
38​
Austin
912,400​
93​
El Paso (Las Cruces)
343,530​
110​
Tyler-Longview(Lfkn&Ncgd)
276,520​
130​
Corpus Christi
210,160​
131​
Amarillo
190,340​
138​
Odessa-Midland
173,210​
144​
Beaumont-Port Arthur
168,210​
145​
Lubbock
167,660​
149​
Wichita Falls & Lawton
153,870​
159​
Sherman-Ada
135,390​
165​
Abilene-Sweetwater
116,310​
186​
Laredo
77,640​
197​
San Angelo
58,000​
204​
Victoria
33,490​
You left off Houston, which is top 10 I think

AAU member schools:

By conference:

If I read the AAU description correctly, it is focused on research and graduate education.
ND, with its terrific undergrad school, is primarily just that, an undergraduate university.
It is comparable to NW is certain aspects.

Interesting news:
Linky
Much to do about nothing other than arranging a cease fire amongst the three. There is more and bigger coming as the B1G and SEC are the alpha dogs. The B1G eventually will be at least a conference of two divisions. Stay tuned. So much $$$ is involved. So much.

Much to do about nothing other than arranging a cease fire amongst the three. There is more and bigger coming as the B1G and SEC are the alpha dogs. The B1G eventually will be at least a conference of two divisions. Stay tuned. So much $$$ is involved. So much.

Isn't the BIG already a conference of two divisions, or am I confused?

ADVERTISEMENT