ADVERTISEMENT

Conference realignment: it began 5 years ago this week

michnittlion

Sep 3, 2003
5-years ago yesterday, Nebraska was invited to the B1G --- the first domino in the conference realignment game.

I found the linked article rather interesting, the 16 schools that were most effected by conference realignment and a ranking of those from biggest winner to biggest loser.

http://newsok.com/tcu-biggest-winner-in-conference-realignment/article/5426845

My own rankings of the 16:

1. TCU (MWC to Big XII): I think these guys are easily #1. After being left for dead in the late 90s with the collapse of the SWC, they've made it all the way to a true national football power-house. The move to the Big XII helped there.

2. Utah (MWC to Pac-12): Power conference will help these guys big-time in the long-term.

3. Louisville (Big East to ACC): Good conference fit, their athletic profile has really improved over the last 10-20 years.

4. Texas A&M (Big XII to SEC): Actually got out of Texas' shadow to an extent.

5. Maryland (ACC to Big Ten): I'm more bullish than most on Maryland's long-term B1G potential.

6. Colorado (Big XII to Pac-12): Better cultural fit for the school, west coast peers vs. corn-state peers. Athletics should eventually get things back together.

7. Rutgers (Big East to Big Ten): Helped them in the pocket-book, that's for sure. Long-term ability for athletic success is more questionable.

8. BYU (MWC to WCC/Independent): I think football indepenence is actually good for these guys, given that football is prominently about promoting the religion and their school.

9. Pittsburgh (Big East to ACC): ACC is not a perfect fit for them, but the Big East was the Titanic. They're off that boat at least.

10. Nebraska (Big XII to Big Ten): I'm not sure they will ever get the "glory days" back. They won't play OSU, U-M and PSU that often with the division format --- in a way, they're just in another version of the "Big XII North."

11. Syracuse (Big East to ACC): They miss the basketball rivalries. Hard to see a road for them to long-term football success.

12. Missouri (Big XII to SEC): Football team has succeeded --- but they're simply not a southern school or state.

13. West Virginia (Big East to Big XII): Really awkward geographic fit. REALLY awkward. Not good long-term.

14, 15, 16. South Florida, Cincinnati, Connecticut. They effectively stayed in the same conference (Big East), it just got re-named (American Athletic). But there is no longer automatic access to top Bowl games.

Colorado to the PAC 12 was the first domino, two days before Nebraska which was a huge cluster-**** on Delany's part.

5-years ago yesterday, Nebraska was invited to the B1G --- the first domino in the conference realignment game.

I found the linked article rather interesting, the 16 schools that were most effected by conference realignment and a ranking of those from biggest winner to biggest loser.

http://newsok.com/tcu-biggest-winner-in-conference-realignment/article/5426845

My own rankings of the 16:

1. TCU (MWC to Big XII): I think these guys are easily #1. After being left for dead in the late 90s with the collapse of the SWC, they've made it all the way to a true national football power-house. The move to the Big XII helped there.

2. Utah (MWC to Pac-12): Power conference will help these guys big-time in the long-term.

3. Louisville (Big East to ACC): Good conference fit, their athletic profile has really improved over the last 10-20 years.

4. Texas A&M (Big XII to SEC): Actually got out of Texas' shadow to an extent.

5. Maryland (ACC to Big Ten): I'm more bullish than most on Maryland's long-term B1G potential.

6. Colorado (Big XII to Pac-12): Better cultural fit for the school, west coast peers vs. corn-state peers. Athletics should eventually get things back together.

7. Rutgers (Big East to Big Ten): Helped them in the pocket-book, that's for sure. Long-term ability for athletic success is more questionable.

8. BYU (MWC to WCC/Independent): I think football indepenence is actually good for these guys, given that football is prominently about promoting the religion and their school.

9. Pittsburgh (Big East to ACC): ACC is not a perfect fit for them, but the Big East was the Titanic. They're off that boat at least.

10. Nebraska (Big XII to Big Ten): I'm not sure they will ever get the "glory days" back. They won't play OSU, U-M and PSU that often with the division format --- in a way, they're just in another version of the "Big XII North."

11. Syracuse (Big East to ACC): They miss the basketball rivalries. Hard to see a road for them to long-term football success.

12. Missouri (Big XII to SEC): Football team has succeeded --- but they're simply not a southern school or state.

13. West Virginia (Big East to Big XII): Really awkward geographic fit. REALLY awkward. Not good long-term.

14, 15, 16. South Florida, Cincinnati, Connecticut. They effectively stayed in the same conference (Big East), it just got re-named (American Athletic). But there is no longer automatic access to top Bowl games.

Actually, what started it all was Missouri talking to the BIG 10, behind the backs of Texas and Nebraska in the BIG 12. Nebraska got wind of it and then approached the BIG 10. So, you can really say, Missouri started it all.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/2100/missouri-makes-most-sense-for-big-ten-expansion

I see aTm as the biggest winner getting into the SEC and away from UT. SEC with a win here too expanding into Texas.

IMO, the B1G with an acquisition based on yesterday with the addition of Nebraska.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT