ADVERTISEMENT

Concerts this summer for old geezers.

The only time I had front row seats at a concert that large was Tedeschi Trucks at the Beacon a few years back. Managed to take some shots until the ushers stopped me because I had a pro camera. Great live show.

14633232_10153817787335812_8111359858100172894_o.jpg

14556615_10153817786535812_1931927077466603114_o.jpg
We saw Tedeschi at the Beacon a few years ago also, but we were in the high cheap seats. Booked the tickets the day of the show from stubhub.
Great show!

nice thread... Zappa was first concert and saw a boatload up in Meriwether in the 80s. Lately have seen Bromberg (getting old :) ), Greensky Bluegrass, Trampled by Turtles and others. I was looking forward to the kids getting out of the house and the wife and I just bouncing around and seeing artists play at small venues, bars, etc. Having fun doing that. Just saw a duo at the Highland center (Monterey, Va) and a Bluegrass show this past weekend in Hot Springs, Va. Looking forward to the String Cheese Incident make up concert in C-ville this Spring.

So this summer, on my list so far i have Steve Martin/Martin Short, and Elton John. I will be adding lyle lovett and his large band at wolf trap, as that show was just announced recently.

I saw Doobies at Allentown Fair grounds 1980?, I think 3 Dog Night was opening act.
I saw AC/DC Back In Black tour in Stabler Arena Oct. 7 1980.
Angus Young was perpetual motion. He would have been a good 125 pounder.
Saw AC/DC at Montage Mtn and Angus was just unbelievable. Dropped a giant bell from the rafters and I thought the roof would fall in.

Metallica at the BJC was just.....wow....I think the ringing in my ears to this day was from that concert. Dudes on stage on fire. Brawling in my section. It was just nuts.

Also took my mom/wife to see Garth and Cher and Elton and Billie Joel at BJC. All great shows.

Other great shows at the BJC...DaveX?, Pearl Jam, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Allman Brothers, Smashing Pumpkins, Alan Jackson..... Im missing a bunch.

Out at Star Lake in Pittsburg...Pearl Jam, Dave, Green Day, 311,

Hershey - DaveX?, the Who, Bush, GnR and Im missing some

Montage Mtn - Kiss, Def Leopard, Kid Rock

I would have really liked to see the Stones and Bruce, but otherwise I think Ive seen just about everyone I wanted to see

Reactions: LOTOlion
Saw AC/DC at Montage Mtn and Angus was just unbelievable. Dropped a giant bell from the rafters and I thought the roof would fall in.

Metallica at the BJC was just.....wow....I think the ringing in my ears to this day was from that concert. Dudes on stage on fire. Brawling in my section. It was just nuts.

Also took my mom/wife to see Garth and Cher and Elton and Billie Joel at BJC. All great shows.

Other great shows at the BJC...DaveX?, Pearl Jam, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Allman Brothers, Smashing Pumpkins, Alan Jackson..... Im missing a bunch.

I would have really liked to see the Stones and Bruce, but otherwise I think Ive seen just about everyone I wanted to see
I only caught the Stones once in October 1981 at Folsom Field in Boulder, Co. George Thorogood and Heart were openers. They got fined for violating the Boulder noise ordinance. One person I wished I had seen was Hendrix. Died too soon. Biggest concert I saw was in Watkins Glen I think 1973. It was The Band. The Allman Brothers and The Grateful Dead. Well over 500,000 people there. Traffic was backed up for 20 miles. No GPS in those days. We got lost, took a back road and some farmer showed us a short cut and we ended up a half mile from the concert site.

The only time I had front row seats at a concert that large was Tedeschi Trucks at the Beacon a few years back. Managed to take some shots until the ushers stopped me because I had a pro camera. Great live show.

14633232_10153817787335812_8111359858100172894_o.jpg

14556615_10153817786535812_1931927077466603114_o.jpg

Great Band. "Midnight in Harlem" is probably my favorite of theirs.

Never saw them live. Susan Tedeschi's voice; Derek Trucks' slide guitar. Other very talented musicians with them.

Ive seen almost all those in your list. Metallica at Woodstock 94 one of my all time favorites. Kid Rick I caught at a club near campus of Wake Forrest. Man what a night. Saw Insane Clown Posse at that same club a couple weeks later. I almost got scared at that one. Lol. I’m like you, been to just about all the ones I wanted to see but really regret not getting to see Linkin Park before Chester died. Saw some concert vids online and they’re show rocked.

My first and still favorite concert of all time was Ozzy/Metallica at Erie civic center. Went to see Metallica.Had 5th row seats, saw Metallica 3 other times over the years but this one was just brutal,was in June 86? and Cliff Burton was killed that fall. So glad I got to see the “original” lineup.

Reactions: LOTOlion
Maybe I missed it, but no mention anywhere about The Boss??? He does one of the best live performances of any rock star I can think of. How many people posting here were at his Penn State performance in 1975? One of the guys I knew was on the committee that arranged the concerts, so he tipped off his friends ahead of time so they could be first in line to get tickets. Awesome performance.

Maybe I missed it, but no mention anywhere about The Boss??? He does one of the best live performances of any rock star I can think of. How many people posting here were at his Penn State performance in 1975? One of the guys I knew was on the committee that arranged the concerts, so he tipped off his friends ahead of time so they could be first in line to get tickets. Awesome performance.
His live performances are fantastic. I’ve seen him probably 10 times. Multiple times in Pittsburgh, Philly, University Park, New Jersey and here in KC.

Reactions: kevin310
Would love to see Jackson Brown in early June if I can get dr ok. Friends want us to go see Ozark Mountain Daredevils with Kentucky Headhunters in July which would be almost three years ago since we saw them (OMDD) with The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. Only concert in that three years that we’ve seen was Joe Bonamassa right before the firs COVID cases.
Jackson Brown was one of my first concerts ~35 years ago in Stabler Arena. Good show (If memory serves - lol)

Saw the Stones in 1981? In Philly day 2 of the start of American Stadium Tour. It was in the old JFK ,about 90,000 in attendance.
I saw Springsteen twice. 1983? in Spectrum which he played 10 nights all sold out. Played almost 4 1/2 hours. Years later I took my family to Meadowlands to see him during Wrecking Ball tour. My daughter's were pretty young and at the time it was not their cup of tea. Many years later they understand why I took them.
I have seen some of the biggest acts ever. I saw the Eagles open up the PPL Center in Allentown. Saw U2 after Super Bowl 911 Tribute tour. I saw Genesis when Phil Collins was able to stand and was one of great front man in Rock. The list is long.
The one show I missed that I had tickets to was the Who in Philly Sept 25 1982. I had to decide between the concert and Penn State Nebraska game. A friend of mine was football trainer and got me 4 tickets in parents section. I'm glad I chose the game. Greatest game I ever saw.😃

Next couple concerts for me are next week. The wife is making go see Lady Gaga in Vegas so I am making her go to the Scorpions/Skid Row show. Yeah I know, no Sebastian but still will be fun I guess.

I love that live music is back. I really missed it for two years.

Recently I've seen:
Neal Francis (up and coming keyboardist, really great)
Dumpstaphunk (Ivan Neville's post-Meters NO funk)
Devon Allman Project (Gregg Allman's son)

Coming up:
Greyboy Allstars (this weekend)
Sofi Tukker (May - wife's choice, dance music)
George Clinton & Parliament-Funkadelic (July)
Phish (July - Philly, Aug - AC beach)

c088c251758245.58f8cf0a77281.jpg

Hoping to catch Iron Maiden once again this year
I worked summers at Aunt Mary's Pub and Palace as a waiter. One summer they had the contract to cater the dressing rooms at the Erie Civic Center. I worked the Iron Maiden concert and while breaking down they said that they were spending the night and wondered where they could go for some fun. I asked them if they were willing to wait 20 minutes and I would show them around myself. They were the coolest (and very chill) guys. They even helped me to pack up the gear to take back to the restaurant. I took them to Sherlock's and they got on stage with the band that was playing. Then we went to Wagner's AM, the after hours club. Nicko McBrain was wearing a black tshirt that just said "F#^k Synthesizers" and well, that's the music that was playing. It didn't stop him. He was on the dance floor with a good looking girl in minutes. I met them at Frontier Park and kicked around a soccer ball with them before they headed out. Bruce Dickinson gave me his card from his music store in London and told me to look him up next time I was there. That was about 30 years so I figured the offer may have expired. Great guys...and zero drug use. Enjoyed their Bud heavies.

Wasn't a big Springsteen fan but camped out for tickets at the hub for the show.

I worked summers at Aunt Mary's Pub and Palace as a waiter. One summer they had the contract to cater the dressing rooms at the Erie Civic Center. I worked the Iron Maiden concert and while breaking down they said that they were spending the night and wondered where they could go for some fun. I asked them if they were willing to wait 20 minutes and I would show them around myself. They were the coolest (and very chill) guys. They even helped me to pack up the gear to take back to the restaurant. I took them to Sherlock's and they got on stage with the band that was playing. Then we went to Wagner's AM, the after hours club. Nicko McBrain was wearing a black tshirt that just said "F#^k Synthesizers" and well, that's the music that was playing. It didn't stop him. He was on the dance floor with a good looking girl in minutes. I met them at Frontier Park and kicked around a soccer ball with them before they headed out. Bruce Dickinson gave me his card from his music store in London and told me to look him up next time I was there. That was about 30 years so I figured the offer may have expired. Great guys...and zero drug use. Enjoyed their Bud heavies.
Man what a memory!!!! I'd love to meet those fellas!!!

Surprised to see other TTB fans on here.

I’ll be going to Philly to see them in July.
planning on either outlaw music fest ( Willie Nelson, ZZ Top, govt mule, Larkin poe) or maple house fest (Jason isbell, black pumas, lake street dive)

Reactions: CholleyVandine
nice thread... Zappa was first concert and saw a boatload up in Meriwether in the 80s. Lately have seen Bromberg (getting old :) ), Greensky Bluegrass, Trampled by Turtles and others. I was looking forward to the kids getting out of the house and the wife and I just bouncing around and seeing artists play at small venues, bars, etc. Having fun doing that. Just saw a duo at the Highland center (Monterey, Va) and a Bluegrass show this past weekend in Hot Springs, Va. Looking forward to the String Cheese Incident make up concert in C-ville this Spring.
I saw Zappa at Edinboro the time it was recorded and made into an album awesome!!

Surprised to see other TTB fans on here.

I’ll be going to Philly to see them in July.
planning on either outlaw music fest ( Willie Nelson, ZZ Top, govt mule, Larkin poe) or maple house fest (Jason isbell, black pumas, lake street dive)

I've been to the outlaw music festival three times in the past few years (Holmdel, Camden, and Philly) and seen some crazy good acts - Sturgill Simpson, Van Morrison, TTB, Government Mule, and, of course, Willie.

But I've never been as excited for a concert as I am for Jason Isbell's show this Friday night in New Brunswick. I've never seen him live, but I love that dude's music.

Reactions: NAtiger112
Darn you Bordeaux, I've been a Stagehand (retirement gig) for almost five years and can't come close to that story. (I did build their church set.)

Two weeks ago I did have the privilege of breaking apart and packing up Alice Cooper's guillotine and coffin.

Pretty cool set, then recently bounced to the ballet, Eagles, WWE, Justin Bieber then the opera.

First concert was Elton John in 1972 or 1973. I have now worked two of his retirement tours and will work a third this summer. I hope he keeps on going.

The nicest guy in the business I have seen is the country singer/Hootie and the Blow Fish fame Darius Rucker. That man goes out of his way every show to walk past all the stagehands, shake some hands and thank his crew.

Great guy!

I live 1.4 miles from Ravinia on the north side of Chicago. We get our share of geezer shows - Heart, B-52’s, Duran Duran, Morrissey, Roger Daltry, Nile Rodgers, among many over the years. Not a bad walk even with our light picnic gear (it’s set up sort of like Wolf Trap in NoVa).

This year: Jackson Browne, Steve Miller, Sheryl Crow, John Fogarty, Lyle Lovett/Chris Isaak, Black Crowes, Poi Dog Pondering, Bonnie Raitt, Boy George, Sting, Diana Ross, Stevie Nicks.
You've got quite the taste range. I don't know if you've ever seen Poi Dog Pondering before but they're consistently one of the best live acts around. Since you're near Chicago I have to imagine you've seen the Mekons before as well, whose live shows are usually a unique, unforgettable experience.

The nicest guy in the business I have seen is the country singer/Hootie and the Blow Fish fame Darius Rucker. That man goes out of his way every show to walk past all the stagehands, shake some hands and thank his crew.

Great guy!
Can attest to that. Last summer I was sipping on a glass of strawberry milk at a small local pub here in Johnstown and out of nowhere Darius walks in. He was a super cool guy and had no problem going to the mic and singing Wagon Wheel for the peeps. Never asked why the hell he was in Johnstown but came to find out he was in town to play some golf at Sunnehanna Country Club and celebrate with Jimbo Colvert and his induction into NFL Hall of Fame.

In summer of '69, (wasn't there a song about that?) three of us got in a car and headed for Woodstock. We were about half way from Harrisburg to the Northern border of PA when we heard an announcement on the radio that the traffic was backed up for 100 miles in every direction. Consequently, we decided to abort. We later learned that the radio announcement was BS, and they did it to try to keep more people from showing up. I still kick myself today for being so gullible that we missed the greatest live concert event in US history.

However, a few years later I did make it to the Summer Jam in Watkins Glen, NY. If you're not familiar with that one, look it up on the Internet. An estimated crowd of around 600,000 people showed up, and it was at that time the largest crowd ever assembled in the US! Lots of vendors had set up shop selling forbidden herbs and chemical compounds but no police were there to discourage their commerce.

ADVERTISEMENT