ADVERTISEMENT

Concert Reviews

pawrestlersintn

Jan 26, 2013
It's the off-season, so why not?

Robert Plant and Allison Krauss, Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Friday, March 3

It was worth the drive and expensive gas.

I last saw them in Memphis during the Raising Sand Tour in 2008. Plant was 59 at the time, and now at the age of 73, he still brings it, and just loves to perform. If It was up to him, we might still be there this morning. Krauss's voice has to be considered in the list of all- time great women artists, and she has stood and sang with some of them.

Here is the setlist... https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/robe...arts-center-saratoga-springs-ny-6bb4fa0e.html

JD McPherson led things off with his band, then came back out on lead guitar with Plant and Krauss. McPherson does a lot of rockabilly stuff, and had good energy throughout his set. I would've preferred he amp things up towards the end to fire the crowd up, but they were pretty level throughout.

The Plant and Krauss set was a great mix of his stuff, their stuff, Zeppelin stuff, and covers of other people's stuff. However, I don't think anything they did was hers or Union Station's. She certainly got her time to shine, however, with solos and her violin skills. Apologies to Alexandra Denny, but she doesn't hold a candle to Krauss duetting with Plant on Evermore.

Funniest part of the night for me was the first Zeppelin song, Rock and Roll. The opening is so subtle, that when Plant opens with, "It's been a long time since I rock and rolled..." people who weren't expecting it look around as if to say, "Did I just hear what I think I heard?" Followed a second later by going nuts for Zeppelin. I had to do my best rendition of that line for MrsPA to recognize it. Surprisingly, she did, despite my rendition.

Both of their albums, Raising Sand and Raising the Roof are great, and the songs they played were a good mix of both.

The crowd was treated to two encodes, ending with, Somebody Was Watching Over Me, an easy one to sing along to and keep singing until your head hits the pillow.

All in all, a great night, with great weather and a great crowd. Overheard from a father to son (assuming) on the way out, "We just heard a legend." No, sir, you just heard two.

If they're anywhere near you this summer, I strongly recommend.

Today I worked setting up the concert for Roger Waters from Pink Floyd. Show is tomorrow.

Pittsburgh is their first stop on the tour.

All tour staff, Roadies, practice building the deck, lights, speaker, video, Pyro etc before they hit the road.

It was cool when the Roadies told me they practiced for a couple of days in setting up and teardown at Bryce Jordan before coming to Pittsburgh.

I wish I could see the show as it looks like it would be amazing with a huge video screen. I'm committed to working Carlos Santana out at our amphitheater and had to pick one over the other.

If anyone catches him on tour please post how it was.

Hope the audio is good 👍 after 11 hours on it.

That is plan B but everyone is scheduled now.

I have to wait and see if someone calls off. Or I may attend it. Upper bowl seats are only $35. Not a bad deal.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
The wife and I enjoy little concert getaways. Saw Billy Joel in April. Seeing the Doobie Brothers in 3 weeks. Both in Charlotte. Have Chtistopher Cross in Charleston, SC in August. Nothing better than a live concert.

Saw George Clinton and Parliament-Funkadelic last night in Philly. It was really good. Their show isn't as wild as it used to be (George had to sit down a couple times and let the younger people play), but for a guy his age whose body has been through the abuse his has had, he looked good. His band is always great.

Next Friday I have Jack Johnson, followed up by Dave Mathews Saturday.
Saw Dave last summer, it was our (my wife and I)'s first outing since the pandemic started.
Outdoor venue- It was a concert to remember for a number of reasons...

looking forward to next week for sure...

Reactions: PASLP2
Anybody see Roger Waters in Pburgh this past week? Heard the crew rehearsed at the BJC for month before a VIP practice “session” last Saturday night and then hit the road right afterwards.

I'm at an outdoor three day country music concert in Loramie Ohio this weekend. Festival honours our military awesome event and tons of big time artists. I saw Carrie Underwood on Friday night and that lady has it going on. Her legs are freaking unbelievable wtf. And I'm not a country music lover but the people here are real. Last year lots of politics involved but this year people are just enjoying being out and around other Americans celebrating the best country in the world

I'll assume both of these were your wife's idea and not yours.
🤣
I will admit my musically taste pre-pandemic trended a little more late 80's angry alternative. But during covid, I found I needed some music to kinda mellow me out a little more... ha ha... cheers.

Reactions: backdrft76
Drove across the state to see Tedeschi Trucks Band in Philly. They never disappoint. Started off playing their new album I am the moon:crescent. Their new stuff is just as great as their older music. Played some of their staples, Midnight in Harlem, Anyhow, and Bound for Glory. Crushed it as always with some great covers, Keep on Growing by Derek and the Dominoes, and The world is a Ghettoo by War. Los Lobos came on and joined them for those songs. Susan then put a ton of emotion into that Did it by Bobby Blue Bland. Was awesome to hear Alecia, one of their backup singers, killing it on bound for Glory. A few Derek Trucks solos in there to top it all off. All in all this was a fantastic show.

I took my sisters boyfriend to the show who never heard of them and he came away impressed. I think he just became a new fan. Their shows are really something special. They always try to get all 12 band members a spotlight during their performances; drum solos, sax solos, different members taking lead singing duties.

Reactions: kevin310
Drove across the state to see Tedeschi Trucks Band in Philly. They never disappoint. Started off playing their new album I am the moon:crescent. Their new stuff is just as great as their older music. Played some of their staples, Midnight in Harlem, Anyhow, and Bound for Glory. Crushed it as always with some great covers, Keep on Growing by Derek and the Dominoes, and The world is a Ghettoo by War. Los Lobos came on and joined them for those songs. Susan then put a ton of emotion into that Did it by Bobby Blue Bland. Was awesome to hear Alecia, one of their backup singers, killing it on bound for Glory. A few Derek Trucks solos in there to top it all off. All in all this was a fantastic show.

I took my sisters boyfriend to the show who never heard of them and he came away impressed. I think he just became a new fan. Their shows are really something special. They always try to get all 12 band members a spotlight during their performances; drum solos, sax solos, different members taking lead singing duties.
My kids went to see Tedeschi Trucks on Friday, we saw them back in late 2019 and they were awesome.

I spent the weekend at Briggs Farms Bluefest! We have been going since 2018, such a great laid back experience. The Saturday headliner was Kenny Wayne Shepherd who put on a great show. The whole weekend was a nice mix of local and smaller touring acts with some bigger Blues performers.

Reactions: nitlion6
Saw them in Pittsburgh Saturday night. Johnston and Simmons were great but McDonald struggle with his voice. Might just have been a bad night for him. That said it was a great concert and I would do it again.

That's sad to hear. I hope it was just a bad night. Had the good fortune to be on a trip to DC in 2007 that ran over a weekend and Michael McDonald was doing a free concert on the Mall on a Saturday afternoon. Then he sounded just as good as he did on their albums. Age catches up with us all............

How was the concert? I see the Doobies in 2 weeks.

Best concert I ever saw was the Doobies about 10 years ago or so.

We have good friend who owns a 'small boutique winery' in Sonoma. They invited us over for a weekend and mentioned they were invited to a wine and music event at another local winery.

Saturday morning, we walked down the local backroads and through a few vineyards up to Valley of the Moon vineyard for their little "get together".

Well it turned out that Valley of the Moon was part of the BR Cohn winery owned by Bruce Cohn the long time manager of the Doobie brothers.

Well let's just say my wife and I along with 2 hundred max. other lucky souls got a private 2 hour long Doobie brothers concert. Wine, cheese, and a small stage just 15 feet from where we sat. There aren't that many bands where I can listen for a couple of hours and know the lyrics of everything they play.

Definitely a once in a lifetime experience and a glimpse into how the upper crust live their lives, all too much taken for granted. Amazing.

My kids went to see Tedeschi Trucks on Friday, we saw them back in late 2019 and they were awesome.

I spent the weekend at Briggs Farms Bluefest! We have been going since 2018, such a great laid back experience. The Saturday headliner was Kenny Wayne Shepherd who put on a great show. The whole weekend was a nice mix of local and smaller touring acts with some bigger Blues performers.
Just checked out that lineup, that sounds like a cool festival to attend. Southern Avenue is a newer band I’ve been getting into and KWS would be awesome.

Did you catch The Tribe? They are more R&B/soul than blues, but I like them a lot.

Did you catch The Tribe? They are more R&B/soul than blues, but I like them a lot.
Oh yeah! One of the members is the husband of my son’s long time friend from school, they were great.
The festival has a lot of melding of types, not all strictly blues.

Best concert I ever saw was the Doobies about 10 years ago or so.

We have good friend who owns a 'small boutique winery' in Sonoma. They invited us over for a weekend and mentioned they were invited to a wine and music event at another local winery.

Saturday morning, we walked down the local backroads and through a few vineyards up to Valley of the Moon vineyard for their little "get together".

Well it turned out that Valley of the Moon was part of the BR Cohn winery owned by Bruce Cohn the long time manager of the Doobie brothers.

Well let's just say my wife and I along with 2 hundred max. other lucky souls got a private 2 hour long Doobie brothers concert. Wine, cheese, and a small stage just 15 feet from where we sat. There aren't that many bands where I can listen for a couple of hours and know the lyrics of everything they play.

Definitely a once in a lifetime experience and a glimpse into how the upper crust live their lives, all too much taken for granted. Amazing.
I'm jealous man. Is it wrong of me to say I hate you? :)

ADVERTISEMENT