ADVERTISEMENT

COMMENT: Pat Downey wants you to know he's not the same guy who got Teched by DT

Downey has undoubtedly improved in that time. He seems a bit more level and steady, and has been accumulating world class experience. Still think he has a few levels to go before he can take out a world champion though.

The wildcard, of course, is how David is feeling these days. He seemed good enough if a bit rusty at Pan Ams, but maybe the baby and pandemic have taken their toll on his training. Maybe.

I am sure he isn't the same guy.
I am sure DT isn't the same guy either.
Maybe HR can tell us about that gap and how difficult it is to keep from widening let alone narrow it.

I'm guessing there are several guys in the NLWC/PS room at 86kg-ish that could roll PD3.

DT, Bo, Cael, and AB. Yeah, I said it: Aaron Brooks. Who does Downey have that is anywhere near the quality of those four?

Oh. And Jake. And Kyle. That's three Olympic gold medalists.

I'm guessing there are several guys in the NLWC/PS room at 86kg-ish that could roll PD3.

DT, Bo, Cael, and AB. Yeah, I said it: Aaron Brooks. Who does Downey have that is anywhere near the quality of those four?

Oh. And Jake. And Kyle. That's three Olympic gold medalists.

But he is now Iowa trained!

busch.jpg

https://www.whiskeyriff.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/busch.jpg

He’s been training in Jersey with the Rutgers coaches perfecting head clubs. :)
Given Downey's history (multiple assualt arrests in HS, kicked out of Nebraska for fighting) ... more likely he's teaching the head clubs.

Reactions: Ja1339
I don't have any opinions on Downey one way or another. All I can say is that in last year's US Open finals, I thought he looked pretty good. Whether or not he's at DT's level yet remains to be seen.

Here’s to hoping he is much better. I’d like to see a more interesting match than the regular beat-downs DT has given him.

ADVERTISEMENT