ADVERTISEMENT

Cold, harsh reality?

Agree with his point and appreciate his thoughts, but how could he not spend paragraphs on NIL to help make this point? $9million for qbs who haven't played a snap? Players leaving current schools for new schools because of money?

Agree with his point and appreciate his thoughts, but how could he not spend paragraphs on NIL to help make this point? $9million for qbs who haven't played a snap? Players leaving current schools for new schools because of money?
Agree, it’s the larger problem. However I wonder if it can continue with these rates. The NIL is new and shiny. Are boosters going really be able to bank roll 30 million annual payrolls year after year, especially when the team or “paid players” are struggling?

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Still seating out there is ND. When does that domino fall and where does it land?

Agree, it’s the larger problem. However I wonder if it can continue with these rates. The NIL is new and shiny. Are boosters going really be able to bank roll 30 million annual payrolls year after year, especially when the team or “paid players” are struggling?
Right, what is the upper limit? What happens if the colleges start paying the players? If there are 2 super conferences how much money will they bring in TV $?

The obvious misses in the point that this article attempts to make is two fold. The CFP is a club not a playoff system. The conference admins in their efforts to maintain control of tradition and keep a grip on who and how few get into the playoff system screwed the pooch.

Oddly, the pooh bears of div 1 football may yet stumble on a non-incongruous even number of participating conferences whereby both tradition and quality intersectional games may make the sport intriguing and interesting again. Or, not.

Last edited:
"If we lose what we have in football, we're going to lose an awful lot in this country.....we can't get conned out of it."

Somebody from Penn State said that 15 years ago. Nobody listened because they hated the guy.

Everybody shits on tradition and says "old man yells at cloud" and "ok boomer" but there is a palpable loss of tradition and the younger generation is starving for it, and not just in football. Nothing matters until it does.

Still seating out there is ND. When does that domino fall and where does it land?
I think it’s sooner than later due to the impending announcement of the Big Ten television deal. Obviously it seems like it was delayed due to UCLA and USC reaching out, so I’d imagine there’s limited time for the Irish to jump in as well.

Agree with his concept of tradition and the regular season, but the examples he used from days long gone needed improvement.

Having bowl game invites going out up to multiple weeks before the season ended were not good (think ‘69). This impacted matchups for the top team through ‘80.

Top OOC matchups weren’t as common back in the days as he at least insinuates. Since post bowl voting became common, the MNCs with the least impressive schedules came from the ‘69 through ‘84 era (not to mean they all were).

Lastly, as a fan of a team that always came up on the short end of the rankings stick for that #1 spot in a disputed season, an improvement was needed.

Things just went too far.

Reactions: joeaubie21
I dont know.
"If we lose what we have in football, we're going to lose an awful lot in this country.....we can't get conned out of it."

Somebody from Penn State said that 15 years ago. Nobody listened because they hated the guy.

Everybody shits on tradition and says "old man yells at cloud" and "ok boomer" but there is a palpable loss of tradition and the younger generation is starving for it, and not just in football. Nothing matters until it does.
Brilliantly said. We have become so hasty about bemoaning traditions and norms, that as some point, all institutions and culture as a whole becomes rudderless. Everything that is in the past needs to be proactively ruined and there is no time for half measures. NIL is the perfect example. Most would agree that paying players was ethical, but the powers that be were so afraid of blowback they eliminated any and all guardrails. Its the ruin of college football and the same sentiment that will ruin all American institutions and norms.

I know I'm in the minority but I've supported the idea of the top 24-64 schools leaving the NCAA and creating their own league for a very long time. As much as I love college football their postseason has always been a joke. Bowl games against predetermined opponents in most cases, 1 vs. 2 and a 4 team playoff don't work when you have over 100 programs and 8-10 conferences. We need a large playoff and that won't happen as it is so the sooner they break away and create their own league or exclude everyone not in the Big Ten/SEC the better for those that truly love watching good football.

I think it’s sooner than later due to the impending announcement of the Big Ten television deal. Obviously it seems like it was delayed due to UCLA and USC reaching out, so I’d imagine there’s limited time for the Irish to jump in as well.
I would love to see the Domers on the outside looking in with no seat at the table - pompous asses that they are.

bigger question about these mega-alliances is, what happens if ratings decline and the providers want to renegotiate?

all of this is based on some huge revenue projections
Gambling is a big piece of the pie. All the gambling sites are big cash funnels into all this. People might not want to drop the necessary funds to go to a game anymore but they'll fling a hundo on a game. Even old ladies like to gamble. Ratings will be fine.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
bigger question about these mega-alliances is, what happens if ratings decline and the providers want to renegotiate?

all of this is based on some huge revenue projections
I think what happens then is that they chase the money and go streaming-only with someone like Amazon or Apple. That would be even worse because the games would be be less accessible.

I think what happens then is that they chase the money and go streaming-only with someone like Amazon or Apple. That would be even worse because the games would be be less accessible.
I feel like network TV is dying--sports are all they have left. Once the streaming networks take those, and you're right they likely will, then everyone will have Amazon, Apple, etc that want to watch those sports. Kind of like I have Netflix but only because I grew up in the 80s and now watch Stranger Things lol

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Love the traditions of college football and the regionality to a point. However, clinging to the 1970's way of crowning a champion is out of date and absurd. As a Penn State fan are you really happy with the asinine way they crowned champions and us getting ignored countless times. There is no way and I mean NO WAY any self respecting Penn State fan could be happy with how 1994 went down. That was beyond ridiculous and just plain dumb and probably accelerated the move to the BCS. I would be fine with a 16 team playoff.

I would love to see the Domers on the outside looking in with no seat at the table - pompous asses that they are.
Never happening. They are writing their own ticket and have the B10 and SEC groveling for them.

The NIL could get out of hand so I agree that could lead to everything unraveling.

Clinging to the bowls and having some dumb as ass subjective free for all to decide a national champion is quite possibly the stupidest thing I have heard in a while. The bowls are a joke now with opt outs and useless games with two 6th place conference finishers.

We need to expand the freaking playoff system to at least 8. 16 would be great and maybe our Nits can get in with 8, 12 or 16 teams. Don't we want that or are we happy getting screwed with some archaic system.

Get on board or just spend your Saturdays watching You Tube videos of the 1970's Rose Bowl games.

The Big 12 loses Texas and Oklahoma (SEC)
The PAC 12 loses USC and UCLA (B1G)
The Indies, err ACC, will lose Notre Dame (B1G)
The ACC will lose Clemson and FSU (SEC)

The scramble will be on for all of the others to try and align with what will be a 30 member SEC and B1G.

TV and advertisers have ruined sports, in general. It’s why these guys are making way, way too much money. When chumps like Garland and Williamson sign $193m NBA contracts you know something is seriously wrong.

Its why CFB and CBB has no choice but to adapt a similar pro like model. It’s insane and why I don’t watch anymore. These two super conference members will eventually “hire” 18 yr old players on 1, 2, 3 yr contracts. The players will be organized and a semi pro league will ensue. I give it five to ten years before this happens. There will be a salary cap, too. It’s the only way to control what’s happening.

How can these schools bring in $150m a year on media rights without sharing it with those who are responsible?

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT