ADVERTISEMENT

Cody Sanderson Interview

GREAT interview! Cody is so grounded, humble and well-spoken. It's no wonder our staff is such a draw to recruits and their parents. #Blessed

I had the privilege and honor to sit next to Cody at the 2011 NCAA's and he's a human being that anyone could just feel completely at ease with after the first sentence. He was so open and transparent... it was one of the most refreshing and straight forward conversations I've ever had in my life. That good. He was a sheer pleasure to be around and I can't imagine a greater human being to help lead this program to unparalleled success that it's been enjoying. It's all a direct reflection of the people who lead Penn State's wrestling program.

They are world class human beings as I got to experience first hand. I shared moments with Coach Cody I'll never forget and cherish for life. I was sitting next to CS when Q pinned Grant Gambrall and the pandemonium we shared afterwards... I'll never forget as long as I live. It was Cenzo pinning IMAR... times 10. That good because I was there when it happened and the spontaneous joy of celebrating with coach... was a memory of a lifetime.

Last edited:
I had the privilege and honor to sit next to Cody at the 2011 NCAA's and he's a human being that anyone could just feel completely at ease with after the first sentence. He was so open and transparent... it was one of the most refreshing and straight forward conversations I've ever had in my life. That good. He was a sheer pleasure to be around and I can't imagine a greater human being to help lead this program to unparalleled success that it's been enjoying. It's all a direct reflection of the people who lead Penn State's wrestling program.

They are world class human beings as I got to experience first hand. I shared moments with Coach Cody I'll never forget and cherish for life. I was sitting next to CS when Q pinned Grant Gambrall and the pandemonium we shared afterwards... I'll never forget as long as I live. It was Cenzo pinning IMAR... times 10. That good because I was there when it happened and the spontaneous joy of celebrating with coach... was a memory of a lifetime.

Thanks for sharing Malone, your passion and perspective are enjoyable as well.

Reactions: amalone
Yes UNBELIEVABLE human beings for those who know these guys. We are very lucky to have them as a staff at PSU !!!! Best in the country by far and away....
I can wholeheartedly agree with Spyker on this. I don't think there's a close 2nd to the quality and human perspective Cael, Cody and Casey bring to the table. Never get tired of hearing Cenzo say emphatically.. how much Cael believed in him and then seeing this...

12542414.jpeg

17873430-mmmain.jpg

mark-hall-of-penn-state-hugs-penn-state-wrestling-coach-cael-after-picture-id657034118

molinaro2012a.jpg

sanderson-with-wright3.jpg

This is the culture that Cael created at Penn State and I LOVE IT!!!!

Last edited:
I can wholeheartedly agree with Spyker on this. I don't think there's a close 2nd to the quality and human perspective Cael, Cody and Casey bring to table. Never get tired of hearing Cenzo say emphatically.. how much Cael believed in him and then seeing this...

12542414.jpeg

17873430-mmmain.jpg

mark-hall-of-penn-state-hugs-penn-state-wrestling-coach-cael-after-picture-id657034118

molinaro2012a.jpg

sanderson-with-wright3.jpg

This is the culture that Cael created at Penn State and I LOVE IT!!!!
amalone. Outstanding post and pics.

Reactions: amalone and T J
I don't often take the time to listen to a 1-hour interview/tape, but this was well worth it. Others have well commented on the quality of guy Cody is (along with the rest of the coaches). They are developing our wrestlers in more than just their wrestling skills!

I watched Cael's and Cody's father do a little coaching here and there at a couple State College elementary practices. The man has a way of teaching while showing that makes it easy to follow and learn. The apple and the tree thing.

I firmly agree. Steve is a great teacher and the boys learned much from him, and they picked up some competitive fire from Debbie. If you ever get a chance to visit with Debbie take the opportunity- she is a hoot! Strong woman behind some strong guys. Love hearing Cody talk.

I wonder how long this truly remarkable coaching staff can stay together. They really do seem to complement one another in the room while all being on the same page philosophically.

Hope Cael's on-going contract discussions include locking his entire team up for the long term.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I wonder how long this truly remarkable coaching staff can stay together. They really do seem to complement one another in the room while all being on the same page philosophically.

Hope Cael's on-going contract discussions include locking his entire team up for the long term.
I hope it lasts a long, long time! If nothing else, TnT have shown that strong personalities who share the same philosophy (and happen to be brothers) can make it work...

Great interview. Fun hearing Cody using the Nico/Nolf comparison to demonstrate how they coach different wrestlers differently. He danced around some of the more probing questions but you could read into his answers that the staff gives a lot of thought to those questions, e.g., workload with respect to peaking, preparation against particular opponents, etc.

Reactions: diggerpup
A part of the interview that I like and relates to a point I have made several times. When Cody was talking about Cael approaching him about Cody has been doing this for a bit and Cael was going to need Cody's help. Then combined with Cael at first never felt he was teaching the techniques well and how as a group as they step farther away from their own competitions they seem to get better at explaining and teaching those techniques.
This staff continues to get better at what they do. From understanding the type of athletes they want, to personalizing their approaches with different kids, to just about every aspect of running a successful program. They, the staff, continue to improve. What's coming with that internal improvement is going to make us all just shake our heads and say "wow!"

A part of the interview that I like and relates to a point I have made several times. When Cody was talking about Cael approaching him about Cody has been doing this for a bit and Cael was going to need Cody's help. Then combined with Cael at first never felt he was teaching the techniques well and how as a group as they step farther away from their own competitions they seem to get better at explaining and teaching those techniques.
This staff continues to get better at what they do. From understanding the type of athletes they want, to personalizing their approaches with different kids, to just about every aspect of running a successful program. They, the staff, continue to improve. What's coming with that internal improvement is going to make us all just shake our heads and say "wow!"

So let me get this straight. Cael may have been still learning on the job when at ISU and his coaching methods have been evolving since then. I thought all coaches stay at the same ability level as their first job - just the talent changes - or so I've read ;)

Bill Belicheck, for example, is a lousy coach - look at what he did with the Browns. He's only good because he has Brady.:D

So let me get this straight. Cael may have been still learning on the job when at ISU and his coaching methods have been evolving since then. I thought all coaches stay at the same ability level as their first job - just the talent changes - or so I've read ;)

Bill Belicheck, for example, is a lousy coach - look at what he did with the Browns. He's only good because he has Brady.:D
That is a perfect application of Hawk Rationalization. So yes.

Last edited:
Tech note heads up: Track's putting out a bunch of this type of content now, and even these that are posted on their site as video are also cast in their podcast channels as audio only. In my Android podcast app of choice, Pocket Casts, I subscribe to the TW pod, and in its feed I see 4 different pod names:
1. TrackWrestling (eg TW61)
2. Mat Chat (eg MC25)
3. Weighing In (eg WI38)
4. Blue Chip Recruiting (BCR 02)

I haven't listened to a ton of them yet, but as far as I can tell, the first 3 are David Mirikitani & Andy Hamilton, and the 4th, the newest is Eric Olanowski, which I haven't listened to yet. I only learned of Mirikitani this year, but to me he sounds more polished on the mic than Hamilton, who I know has been around a long time and is widely respected.

Anyway, I prefer my interviews in audio-only form, so I just downloaded this Cody interview to listen to on the way home tonight.

I freakin love the Internet.

Tech note heads up: Track's putting out a bunch of this type of content now, and even these that are posted on their site as video are also cast in their podcast channels as audio only. In my Android podcast app of choice, Pocket Casts, I subscribe to the TW pod, and in its feed I see 4 different pod names:
1. TrackWrestling (eg TW61)
2. Mat Chat (eg MC25)
3. Weighing In (eg WI38)
4. Blue Chip Recruiting (BCR 02)

I haven't listened to a ton of them yet, but as far as I can tell, the first 3 are David Mirikitani & Andy Hamilton, and the 4th, the newest is Eric Olanowski, which I haven't listened to yet. I only learned of Mirikitani this year, but to me he sounds more polished on the mic than Hamilton, who I know has been around a long time and is widely respected.

Anyway, I prefer my interviews in audio-only form, so I just downloaded this Cody interview to listen to on the way home tonight.

I freakin love the Internet.
We have Al Gore to thank .

Btw, I love it too...

Reactions: Gebmo and jtothemfp
From the Trackwrestling Podcast feed question.

Before all the shows broke out with "set names," I was numbering each show in the feed with a TW prefix. Now Mat Chat, Weighing In and the Blue Chip Recruiting all have set shows under the Trackwrestling banner, they have different prefixes. They are all audio (on the TW site, it plays the audio through the video player).

As of now, Trackwrestling has a master feed of their shows via my network. I do have individual breakout RSS feeds if someone wants to listen only to one show of the three, but they release M-W-F typically and provide three different types of shows.

This puts the Mat Talk Podcast Network up to 20 active shows. TW will be eliminated as a podcast prefix.

For the record, my iOS app of choice is Overcast, although my Short Time show has its own standalone app.

And for the record, Cody has always been an awesome person to deal with from a media perspective.

From the Trackwrestling Podcast feed question.

Before all the shows broke out with "set names," I was numbering each show in the feed with a TW prefix. Now Mat Chat, Weighing In and the Blue Chip Recruiting all have set shows under the Trackwrestling banner, they have different prefixes. They are all audio (on the TW site, it plays the audio through the video player).

As of now, Trackwrestling has a master feed of their shows via my network. I do have individual breakout RSS feeds if someone wants to listen only to one show of the three, but they release M-W-F typically and provide three different types of shows.

This puts the Mat Talk Podcast Network up to 20 active shows. TW will be eliminated as a podcast prefix.

For the record, my iOS app of choice is Overcast, although my Short Time show has its own standalone app.

And for the record, Cody has always been an awesome person to deal with from a media perspective.

I was hoping you might pop in with some additional clarity; thanks, man!

ADVERTISEMENT