ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Etiquette

marshall23

May 23, 2013
I've been retired for many years from coaching football. In addition, it was high school and not college...but...
When I pulled my starters in a blowout, it was considered good etiquette for the opposing coach to begin emptying his bench in response. I think The PSU Coaching Staff was put in an difficult situation when Riley did not begin subbing. Do you return your starters, disappoint the backups and risk unnecessary injury?
I think they (PSU Coaches) did the right thing and bit the bullet. I would have hated to see
Allen or Cabinda go down with 5 min. to go and miss the final game and a bowl because an opposing coach was trying to save his job (which he and everyone else know won't happen). I'm curious to hear from former coaches and players.....what do you think?

I've been retired for many years from coaching football. In addition, it was high school and not college...but...
When I pulled my starters in a blowout, it was considered good etiquette for the opposing coach to begin emptying his bench in response. I think The PSU Coaching Staff was put in an difficult situation when Riley did not begin subbing. Do you return your starters, disappoint the backups and risk unnecessary injury?
I think they (PSU Coaches) did the right thing and bit the bullet. I would have hated to see
Allen or Cabinda go down with 5 min. to go and miss the final game and a bowl because an opposing coach was trying to save his job (which he and everyone else know won't happen). I'm curious to hear from former coaches and players.....what do you think?

I was shocked first that Tanner Lee was even playing and that he was still playing at the end of the game.
People are all upset at the 2nd and 3rd string secondary but were playing against Nebraka's strongest unit, their WR's. Stanley Morgan will probably be playing on Sunday and he was going up against true freshman.
I have more of an issue with the lack of pressure on Lee and that our blitz schemes are mostly inadequate.
Oh and Special Teams. This is the second week in a row that we didn't know how to field or what to do with pooch kickoffs. C'mon.
And that on side kick was a joke.

Or what if they put in their starters and the starters kept the opposing team from scoring AND did not get hurt? Did that possibility ever occur?

I am the first guy to say

"Just. Win. Baby."

But that presupposes the teams and coaches are playing and coaching at their best. The second half of the game last night had neither of those

Well, I used to be a sportswriter, and I can think of one coach who told me the exact same thing.

And, come to think of it, I can remember a kid from Erie East, a senior, who had all these yards rushing, but a number of them came against other teams’ jayvees in the fourth quarter. Then, I guess, the East coach was kind of miffed because his kid wasn’t first team all-conference.

Or what if they put in their starters and the starters kept the opposing team from scoring AND did not get hurt? Did that possibility ever occur?

"Just. Win. Baby."

But that presupposes the teams and coaches are playing and coaching at their best. The second half of the game last night had neither of those

And if ifs were candies and nuts everyday would be Christmas. Coaches have to live in the real world and in that world injuries are a factor. Keeping your team healthy is of paramount importance.
Please tell me this board would not be out of control if Allen, Barkley or Cabinda went down with a season ending injury with 7 minutes left in the game?

And if ifs were candies and nuts everyday would be Christmas. Coaches have to live in the real world and in that world injuries are a factor. Keeping your team healthy is of paramount importance.
Please tell me this board would not be out of control if Allen, Barkley or Cabinda went down with a season ending injury with 7 minutes left in the game?

This board would be out of control if the lint drawer were not cleaned out.

But again what if they were in the game and stopped the Nebraska offense and did not get hurt?

Reactions: Nitwit97

But again what if they were in the game and stopped the Nebraska offense and did not get hurt?
Then PSU would have won by 25 or 26 . So?

I thought we took out the defensive starters too late when we lost our starting safety to a targeting call for the 1st half next week. Then after watching the backups all out there against Nebraska's 1st string, I changed my mind and thought maybe coach Franklin kept them in there exactly long enough.

if I have to explain that then ......
You don't have to explain it. You've made it evident you don't care about injuries to PSU Football players...you just need your fan boy ego fed by blowout scores. The last quarter meant nothing in the big picture. PSU is not going to the playoffs, they are not winning the big ten. If they win vs Maryland and win a bowl, they will finish top ten and what happened yesterday means nothing. But you made your point. I'm just glad that there are real coaches who look to develop young talent and get their starters off the field when it is appropriate. Goodbye jackass.

Last edited:
Reactions: step.eng69
Coach I always saw it done the other way. If I have the lead, it's up to the other team to surrender, so if they pull their starters, I'll pull mine, but if they don't pull, I keep the pedal to the metal

I thought it was bad form when they were throwing to the end zone with 3 seconds left. And with six seconds left for that matter.

I understand the concept of playing til the end, but it was the end. There was no miracle that could get them two onsides kicks and two TDs in 6 seconds of time.

It was time for them to simply say game over.

LdN

Coach I always saw it done the other way. If I have the lead, it's up to the other team to surrender, so if they pull their starters, I'll pull mine, but if they don't pull, I keep the pedal to the metal

Exactly. The trailing team is under no obligation to stop trying to win because the team with the lead decided their lead was big enough to pull the starters.

If coach Franklin wanted to he could have scored 70, possibly 80 points on Nebraska. Instead he did the right thing and pulled his starters and gave his 2nd and 3rd string valuable experience. The Nebraska HC should have allowed his starters to score a TD in the 4th qtr and then pull them. In my humble opinion all criticism for lack of sportsmanship points directly at the Nebraska HC not James Franklin.

It was lame. With the score the way it was and the dimwits in the press and journalism screaming that PSU is running a game up in the first half??? morons, CJF was obliged almost to pull the starters at the half. Some of the folks in the game (thread of dread I'm not sure) were begging for it too. Nebraska keeping the starters in till the end of a game they could not possibly win shows the judgement of Riley. His judgement is just one of the reasons he will not be a head coach a NU next season. I am glad CJF kept the younger guys in, the experience may just put a chip on their shoulders and add extra motivation for them to get their game to peak form.

I wasn't that surprised. PSU was calling timeouts and throwing deep with under 30 seconds in the first half, up 42-10. Was not surprised that Nebraska kept going at the end. Also, it sounded like they pulled the same thing on Oregon.

Here's a thought: What did the NU starters gain from playing the PSU practice squad the second half? What did Riley gain? What did the NU program gain? Anybody that watched the game that didn't have their heads firmly tucked up their anus and perhaps the neo-jealous perspective of a Post Gazette sports Journalist or Dimwit Jones knows how it went down.

Well, I used to be a sportswriter, and I can think of one coach who told me the exact same thing.

And, come to think of it, I can remember a kid from Erie East, a senior, who had all these yards rushing, but a number of them came against other teams’ jayvees in the fourth quarter. Then, I guess, the East coach was kind of miffed because his kid wasn’t first team all-conference.

Lefty...Curious which publication is on your resume. My work kept me pretty busy in the D10 area and I frequently read the various local newspapers. I always thought there were some pretty talented writers up in that neck of the woods back in the 80s, 90s, 2000s. Not so much any more.

Yep, I've heard that and I understand it. But, I never saw that employed during my career.

I thought we took out the defensive starters too late when we lost our starting safety to a targeting call for the 1st half next week. Then after watching the backups all out there against Nebraska's 1st string, I changed my mind and thought maybe coach Franklin kept them in there exactly long enough.
Actually.....and I could be wrong......but I thought when that happened, virtually all the others on the field were backups?

Ok when there is less than 20 seconds per TD that which you're training, then there should be an assumed obligation to stop trying to win. Cool?

Up until that point though, there is none.

But to be clear, they were kicking onsides kicks with about a minute left, then they were throwing TD passes with 6 seconds left down by 3 scores.

There's a time for trying to win with your starters and there's a time to just down the ball and walk off the field.

LdN

I wasn't that surprised. PSU was calling timeouts and throwing deep with under 30 seconds in the first half, up 42-10. Was not surprised that Nebraska kept going at the end. Also, it sounded like they pulled the same thing on Oregon.

So you're saying that a team has never scored 32 points in a half before?

LdN

"Just. Win. Baby."

Ugh.... we did just win.

If coach Franklin wanted to he could have scored 70, possibly 80 points on Nebraska. Instead he did the right thing and pulled his starters and gave his 2nd and 3rd string valuable experience. The Nebraska HC should have allowed his starters to score a TD in the 4th qtr and then pull them. In my humble opinion all criticism for lack of sportsmanship points directly at the Nebraska HC not James Franklin.
So you wanted Nebraska to QUIT which is totally stupid.

So you wanted Nebraska to QUIT which is totally stupid.
Actually my point was that you cannot have it both ways. If Nebraska does not concede defeat at the beginning of the fourth quarter by putting in their second string, Franklin should not be criticized for leaving his starters in the game.

Last edited:
I basically posted the same opinion, and was ridiculed. You are exactly right. Hope you get more respect, being a former coach.

Barkley playing D would have certainly helped!:rolleyes:

Actually my point was that you cannot have it both ways. If Nebraska does not concede defeat at the beginning of the fourth quarter by putting in their second string, Franklin should not be criticized for leaving his starters in the game.
James was being selfish, he wanted to have playing time for the younger kids to experience playing in adverse weather conditions against the opponent s first string. :rolleyes:. I believe this may have a positive on our little newbees in the future. Do Not Let Your Guard Down or you'll be slayen.

Reactions: Nitwit and RU31trap
ADVERTISEMENT