ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches Show: Sanderson says Nolf won't need surgery, no redshirts to be pulled

I'll go back and transcribe, but Cael Sanderson said on the Coaches Show with Jeff Byers tonight that Jason Nolf doesn't need surgery. He added that there won't be any redshirts pulled, but Nolf won't be back for dual meets. "A strong Nolf" is expected back for post-season.
I need to take a deeeeeeeeeep breath!!!!

Had to go and listen to Cael with my own ears. Yup, would seem there's reason for optimism for a postseason return. Also Carson Kuhn might be ready for Saturday (still TBD, but sounds like it). As for 197, no changes just yet; Cael is happy with both wrestlers but the time will come to finalize things soon enough. Lastly, in reference to the clubbing and eye gouging of Zain, "Hands to the face isn't a tough guy tactic, it's a stalling tactic....It's not wrestling."

Last edited:
Did he make any comments on the match in general and RU going the MMA style of wrestling?

He said the excessive hands to the face are not about being a tough guy, they're a stalling tactic and need to be called like it.
I hope this isn't like Surianos injury last year, and not saying it is at all, but I will believe it when I see JN out on the mat. Not directed at you El-Jefe

Mills

I'm just going to leave this here:

https://www.flowrestling.org/articl...addresses-nick-surianos-health-prior-to-ncaas

Cael has straight up lied before. Why should we trust what he's saying about Nolf now?

Who says we have a right to know? His job is to win...and part of winning is keeping the opponents guessing. I mean, with Cael's production relative to our wrestling program, he's earned that right.

The fallout of Nolf's injury is that now tOSU is favored...maybe heavily. It's easy being an underdog, going into the defending national champ's house. They would have had nothing to lose. Let's see how tOSU handles it or if they choke. Personally, I wouldn't bet on them choking. Guys like Tomasello and Snyder are too experienced. Lets see if guys like Keener and Lee elevate their game.

Last edited:

https://www.flowrestling.org/articl...addresses-nick-surianos-health-prior-to-ncaas

Cael has straight up lied before. Why should we trust what he's saying about Nolf now?
Just a few observations that give me hope that Nolf will compete at NCAA's, note I am not saying at B1G's:

1. Cael seems more upbeat about Nolf's injury than Suriano's.
2. Cael came out and said surgery was not needed, he never said much about Suriano's injury as to what it was.
3. Within hours we heard rumors regarding Suriano's injury, basically he broke his ankle.
4. Broken ankles do not heal in 4 weeks no matter what Mr Suriano believes
5. No surgery for Jason means he is not dealing with anything completely torn.
6. Spencer Lee wrestled PA states last year with a torn ACL, the knee is far easier to stabilize than an ankle
7. Nolf can try to wrestle with a brace and most likely still be effective. Worse case he has surgery after the season much like Lee did last year and is back wrestling by January.

Of course how the rehab goes over the next 4 weeks will determine a lot. Things look positive now, but that could change.

I just hope he is ok. It could be possible that an extremely limited version of Jason Nolf could still be a top 4-5 AA and help his team win a title even though having his individual goals fall short because of the injury. It would only build the legend in my mind- somewhat like Spencer Lee coming back last year and dang near getting it done against another true blue chipper. It is probably an unknown to everyone involved at this point how he will respond to therapy and if he can wrestle close to his style while limited. He will be supported by his family,team,coaches, and fans no matter the outcome. Godspeed Jason Nolf!

Did we ever find out what Ed Ruth's injury was his freshman year during NCAA's when lost in the quarters to Mooch of Stanford. He beat a couple studs in wrestlebacks with a bad leg and took 3rd. I remember hearing rumors that it was a pretty bad knee injury, but nothing was ever confirmed.

I just hope he is ok. It could be possible that an extremely limited version of Jason Nolf could still be a top 4-5 AA and help his team win a title even though having his individual goals fall short because of the injury. It would only build the legend in my mind- somewhat like Spencer Lee coming back last year and dang near getting it done against another true blue chipper. It is probably an unknown to everyone involved at this point how he will respond to therapy and if he can wrestle close to his style while limited. He will be supported by his family,team,coaches, and fans no matter the outcome. Godspeed Jason Nolf!
Here is a scary belief. It is my belief a very limited Jason Nolf would still have that ungodly need to win with no fear of losing and he is so analytical in determining what works why, by the time he takes the mat he will have already studied the path to victory.

If Jason takes the mat in the post season, Kemerer and Hidlay are in the same boat as Sorenson. Stuck wrestling their asses off for that silver medal.

5. No surgery for Jason means he is not dealing with anything completely torn.
6. Spencer Lee wrestled PA states last year with a torn ACL, the knee is far easier to stabilize than an ankle
7. Nolf can try to wrestle with a brace and most likely still be effective
. Worse case he has surgery after the season much like Lee did last year and is back wrestling by January.

Of course how the rehab goes over the next 4 weeks will determine a lot. Things look positive now, but that could change.

Some good points.

Seems to me that were Nolf to wrestle with a brace, he could change his style somewhat to reduce the funk and the improvisation, and still be VERY effective.

Reactions: hlstone
Some good points.

Seems to me that were Nolf to wrestle with a brace, he could change his style somewhat to reduce the funk and the improvisation, and still be VERY effective.
Provided Jason can go, the injury may force him to reduce his pace somewhat as well.

So maybe instead of building a 24-10 lead and then trying to go feet to back, he goes for pins sooner. Less scrambles, more crossface cradles? Bummer.

Trust based on actions more than words.

If Cael does not burn [edit: Berge’s] redshirt (or Verkleeren’s), then that suggests he really expects Nolf to wrestle in the post season, assuming that dual meet experience would be great for preparing [Berge] for the post season.

Another action to keep an eye on is anything regarding open tournaments, etc., that [Berge] goes to that looks especially like going out of the way to prepare [Berge] to wrestle in the post season.

Last edited:
Trust based on actions more than words.

If Cael does not burn Beard’s redshirt (or Verkleeren’s), then that suggests he really expects Nolf to wrestle in the post season, assuming that dual meet experience would be great for preparing Beard for the post season.

Another action to keep an eye on is anything regarding open tournaments, etc., that Beard goes to that looks especially like going out of the way to prepare Beard to wrestle in the post season.
Berge?

Reactions: Dogwelder
Probably not what you're hinting at, but still: Wrestlestat predicts Rasheed beats Moore.
Wrestlestat has it Moore 10-7 win over Rasheed
I just looked at the dual comparison will be a close dual even without nolf

Wrestlestat has it Moore 10-7 win over Rasheed
I just looked at the dual comparison will be a close dual even without nolf
Must have changed this morning, was 9-8 Rasheed last night. Either way just a fun exercise subject to sample size limitations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT