ADVERTISEMENT

CNBC: "Koreas to form unified ice hockey team, march together in Olympics"

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
:eek:

See the link below. From the article:

"The two Koreas will field a combined women's ice hockey team and march together under one flag at next month's Winter Olympics in the South, Seoul said on Wednesday, after a new round of talks amid a thaw in cross-border ties."

And,

"The two Koreas will compete as a unified team in the Olympics for the first time, though they have joined forces at other international sports events before."

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/17/kor...y-team-march-together-in-winter-olympics.html

On a side note, what does Art think of women's hockey? TITLE. IX. :eek:

(Art, just having fun with you. :) )

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
Wait until all the hockey players defect to Seoul claiming political asylum and Kim Jong Un points another nuke south saying they've been kidnapped.

Reactions: First Last
Wait until all the hockey players defect to Seoul claiming political asylum and Kim Jong In points another nuke south saying they've been kidnapped.

Not sure he can really point Nukes, but Soeul is already effectively destroyed 2x over without that extra nuke.

LdN

I like it. I hope (maybe against hope) that this can be a springboard of some sort to helping bring a peaceful solution between the countries.

Reactions: TN Lion
Quite an unexpected development indeed.

Did Kim Jong Un hand-pick the players from the North?
What is the penalty for not winning gold?

Will the hockey team even manage to score a goal?? Throwing a team together with almost zero practice time doesn't bode well for their success although I realize the team is more of a goodwill gesture than anything.

I don't think anyone did, but I think it shows holding NK's feet to the fire may be an OK policy.

LdN

Who knew a policy of twitter name-calling and one-upmanship would prove more effective than sanctions and diplomacy?

Who knew a policy of twitter name-calling and one-upmanship would prove more effective than sanctions and diplomacy?

Well the sanctions are quite fierce also. PRNK is sending fisherman out further and further to die in the oceans since they've overfished their own territory.

The South Korean team in question is none too happy about it as many of their players will lose their spot on the team as a result--and it may be their only chance at participating.

Reactions: psu00
Any time the unified team loses, fat little rocket man will blame the South Korean players.

If anyone believes North Korea is genuine with this, then I have some highly desirable property there at a really good price.

This. ^^^^. It never ceases to amaze me how this stuff gets promoted so easily as some sort of ‘breakthrough’. IIRC they marched under the same flag in Turin 2006 Olympics. How’d that turn out the past decade or so? ;).

I saw an article saying that the IOC has to now approve new slots for DPRK athletes as they missed deadlines and qualifying events. No other country would be given those breaks. South Korea athletes may lose some of their Olympic spots (on their home soil) for North Koreans.

So, after violating multiple UN resolutions, firing rockets over Japan, and repeatedly threatening to nuke South Korea, Japan, the USA, and Guam.......the IOC will actually reward the DPRK. :rolleyes:

Quite an unexpected development indeed.

Did Kim Jong Un hand-pick the players from the North?
What is the penalty for not winning gold?

Having to play goalie for my beloved New York Islanders and having to face 50+ shots a night? Or is that too considered torture under the Geneva Convention?

H6afRRi.gif

I would think much more highly of this if IOC said they'd allow this time with the understanding the NKorea can never again send a team (separate or united) until the country has unified with SKorea.

Will the hockey team even manage to score a goal?? Throwing a team together with almost zero practice time doesn't bode well for their success although I realize the team is more of a goodwill gesture than anything.

Imagine how pissed you'd be if you made the South Korean Olympic roster only to find out now that you aren't going to participate in the Olympics because you have to give up your spot to some North Korean.

I realize that South Korea had no hope of winning a medal (and possibly not even scoring a goal), but that sucks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT