ADVERTISEMENT

Clifford vs. O'Connell - Relative Performance Index

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
Passing RPI - Cliff vs AOC

See Link for article. Video version is below. We had Nate to this same thing last year with Clifford and Bo Nix before the Auburn game. Found it interesting then, so we had him do Round 2 this year. Essentially, RPI is a predictive measure that gauges a QB's performance against what that defensive allows in various statistical categories on average. So if Defense A typically allows 300 yards passing per game and QB B throws for 400 yards against them, then that QB's RPI is 133% in passing yards, because he exceeded the defense's average allowed. Anything under 100 percent means the QB failed to produce what other opposing QB's produce on average vs a particular defense.

Interesting exam. Purdue gets an edge. However, Clifford’s stats are depressed because he played a lot of games injured. Plus, as was pointed out in the comment section, Purdue played in the weaker division.

Interesting exam. Purdue gets an edge. However, Clifford’s stats are depressed because he played a lot of games injured. Plus, as was pointed out in the comment section, Purdue played in the weaker division.

The takeaways I got from this:

1) Purdue threw a lot last year.
2) AoC is accurate and seems to play the same statistically regardless of location.

What this didn't tell me:

1) how any of this breakdown related to the wins and losses of both teams.

The takeaways I got from this:

1) Purdue threw a lot last year.
2) AoC is accurate and seems to play the same statistically regardless of location.

What this didn't tell me:

1) how any of this breakdown related to the wins and losses of both teams.
Or the strength of schedule which is a major factor. And we had a brutal schedule.

Reactions: lazydave841
Take these stats and throw them in the garbage can. Only accounts for throwing and not running. What we know in the past year is that PSU had no running game and OL wasn't great and really had one go to receiver and then Washington as no. 2. Also, offense was confused with new OC and Clifford injured.

So what does that mean for this year? Squat. How will Clifford perform. Don't know. How will OL, TE, RB and WRs perform, don't know. That is what is great about college football. Hard to predict one year to the next unless you are OSU, Alabama, Oklahoma or Georgia.

Don't know much about Purdue, but this analysis highlights that QB is accurate and consistent. No reason to doubt that will change.

ADVERTISEMENT