Mar 11, 2014
PA
The 37th Annual
Cliff Keen Las Vegas
Collegiate Wrestling Invitational

November 30th – December 1st, 2018 Las Vegas, Nevada

Of course PSU is not attending,
but the field of teams going this year looks pretty solid,
and there should be some great individual matchups.

Am headed that way tomorrow morning and looking forward to it!

http://www.cklvwrestle.com

found this preview on a Missouri site:
https://www.missouriwrestling.com/c...s-invite-preview/&tab=comments#comment-177561
Root for those pesky UNI Panthers, folks!

However, and with that said, this is one of my most "loathed" tournaments, due to the annual tradition of absolutely zero media coverage for it.

Ah, well thanks for the post! That's either a first (or second) for this tournament.

Unfortunately, I jumped ship on No Wrestling a couple of years ago. There are only so many times that a man can subscribe to a service that never works, so that was it for me.

Of course PSU is not attending, but the field of teams going this year looks pretty solid

I’m envious that you get to go to this, d-1980. I hope you’ll post about your experience. I’m planning on going next year if the stars align.

The bolded text above seems like a YUGE understatement. By my count, 17 D1 schools ranked between #2 and #25 will be there. Aside from the NCAA tourney in March, I can’t think of a tournament with more assembled talent than CKLV. I hope everyone brings their starters.

Reactions: d-1980
This tournament looks absolutely loaded....I can't wait to see brackets later this week to see if everyone is indeed sending their starters.

Ah, well thanks for the post! That's either a first (or second) for this tournament.

Unfortunately, I jumped ship on No Wrestling a couple of years ago. There are only so many times that a man can subscribe to a service that never works, so that was it for me.

I guess you don't follow TOM either since I had coverage of this event (preview, updates, wrap article) there the last 2 years and it looks like they are continuing this year. Intermat had live updates (I don't remember if they had other articles), WIN was there, USA Wrestling posted articles, and of course all the school SIDs covering.

What media outlets do you follow???

I guess you don't follow TOM either since I had coverage of this event (preview, updates, wrap article) there the last 2 years and it looks like they are continuing this year. Intermat had live updates (I don't remember if they had other articles), WIN was there, USA Wrestling posted articles, and of course all the school SIDs covering.

What media outlets do you follow???
I'm talking video and or audio feeds, not so much print sources.

What do I follow in lieu of? UNI wrestling titter feeds, primarily. Outside of that, once TOM banned me for having differing views, I've had nothing to do with them since, and do all in my power to dissuade others from frequenting them as well. :p

I'm talking video and or audio feeds, not so much print sources.

What do I follow in lieu of? UNI wrestling titter feeds, primarily. Outside of that, once TOM banned me for having differing views, I've had nothing to do with them since, and do all in my power to dissuade others from frequenting them as well. :p

How many boards have banned you now?

Has been great the last two years. Very inexpensive for the amount of times I use it anyway.

Reactions: y2jriden
How many boards have banned you now?
Four in total, none of which has ever been able to (1) pernt out to me where I broke rules and/or (2) show me why some members were banned while others were not for engaging in the same discussions (CTC and the other guy from OK, who was able to buy his way into not getting banned).

As I say, the most dangerous words on the internet (all without ONE threat to anyone; just a good ability to argue my pernts and defend myself).

Four in total, none of which has ever been able to (1) pernt out to me where I broke rules and/or (2) show me why some members were banned while others were not for engaging in the same discussions (CTC and the other guy from OK, who was able to buy his way into not getting banned).

As I say, the most dangerous words on the internet (all without ONE threat to anyone; just a good ability to argue my pernts and defend myself).

Look, man, I don't know what went down at TOM as it predated me and I never had anything to do with the boards. I went so far as to ask that they be shutdown for all the crap on them (a request, like many, that never went anywhere). However, at some point, after 4 boards have kicked you, maybe you should think about your role in the proceedings that led up to that. Just a thought.

Anyway, I've side-tracked the topic enough. Have a nice day.

Guess I'm not smart enough to know what that means.
Just some truth as I see it (which is not that great of a perspective, admittedly), in the spirit of both true kudos, and maybe a little side-dish of good-natured ribbing.

As you have stated here multiple times, you will always defend yourself (perhaps a principle), even if it impedes your ability to get along with the groupthink here. Or, you had some bad experiences with Flo, so, Never Again. It's fine though--I don't want you to change. But I am firmly in the "worth it" camp on Flo for sure. Money better spent that HBO--at least when Game of Thrones isn't on--IMO.

Look, man, I don't know what went down ... However, at some point, after 4 boards have kicked you, maybe you should think about your role in the proceedings that led up to that. Just a thought ...
It could just be bad luck. As John McClane once said, “I can’t f*cking believe this. Another board. Another ban. How can the same sh*t happen to the same guy four times?” :)

Reactions: NittanyLion84
I couldn't find any evidence of PSU having attended.
I couldn't either, but I also couldn't find any evidence of PSU attending any tournaments other than the conference tournaments or NCAA's prior to about the middle of last decade, and we KNOW there used to be an event known as the Nittany Lion Open that the Penn State faithful might be vaguely familiar with...

What tournament did we try to go to in place of the Scuffle a few years ago, i think the year Mark Hall wrestled unattached? Was it Reno? But we couldnt make it due to terrible travelling condiftions.

If the scuffle were to further decline, it might make sense for us to look at CKLV in future years. I’d prefer it to Midlands, and South Koll Duals. Speaking as an ignorant fan of course.

Reactions: Dogwelder
If the scuffle were to further decline, it might make sense for us to look at CKLV in future years. I’d prefer it to Midlands, and South Koll Duals. Speaking as an ignorant fan of course.
Doesn't it seem like tournaments seem to shift almost every year though? Cliff Keen, not so much, as that's always one of the most premiere fields year in and year out, but some years the Scuffle is phenomenal, while the Midlands is weaker, and then it's vice versa.

To me, and for several years, the Scuffle was a way better field than Midlands, but I don't think that it will be this year.

Last edited:
Doesn't it seem like tournaments seem to shift almost every year though? Cliff Keen, not so much, as that's always one of the most premiere fields year in and year out, but some years the Scuffle is phenomenal, while the Midlands is weaker, and then it's vice versa.

To me, and for several years, the Scuffle was a way better field than Midlands, but I don't think that it will be this year.
Alas, the centre cannot hold. It does seem that several of the heavy hitting teams that have made for great scuffles of late (Cornell, Lehigh, Minnesota, UNC) have switched to preferring the South Beach Duals. Everything ebbs and flows, though it's true.

I couldn't either, but I also couldn't find any evidence of PSU attending any tournaments other than the conference tournaments or NCAA's prior to about the middle of last decade, and we KNOW there used to be an event known as the Nittany Lion Open that the Penn State faithful might be vaguely familiar with...

Back then it was the Penn State Open. PSU has been to many different tournaments over the years. Mat Town many times when it used to be a team scored tournament, also Midlands, East Stroudsburg, etc.

Reactions: SetonHallPirate
I can't see PSU going to CKLV. It has 8 B1G teams in the field...I believe that Cael does not want to go to a tournament with this many B1G teams. That is one of the reasons why PSU does not go to the Midlands. Also, it is a very rugged tournament and early in the season, that seems to get away from the current PSU scheduling model of building to the mid-season peak for the Scuffle and then peaking at the end of the season. 7 NCAA's championships in 8 years, no reason to change the format at this time.

ADVERTISEMENT