ADVERTISEMENT

Cleveland radio station taking "Baby its cold outside" off the radio

"42 years ago I heard the song BABY ITS COLD OUTSIDE. I was traumatized.

Throughout my adolescence and young adulthood, I underwent severe PTSD - and the thought of spending a night outside of my own home brought on a paralyzing fear.

It caused me to drop out of Boy Scouts, and to pass up both personal and professional opportunities. Actions that have resulted in severe monetary and personal damages.

I was unable to step forward prior to today due to the severe emotional stress involved - but today, with the help and guidance of my team of counselors, and my attorney Mr Michael Avenatti, I am pleased to announce that I am strong enough to move forward with my $750,000,000 Civil Suit against the following:

- The Frank Loessner Estate
- Sirius Radio
- Bloomberg
- Bill Gates (Does he still have a lot of money?)
- CBS
- Donald Trump
- Whoever the guy is who won the last PowerBall
- The estate of Robert E Lee
- Brett Kavanugh
- My Parents

I "hope and pray" that the actions I am taking today will make me filthy rich...… er, uh, I mean.... will bring some peace and closure to the many thousands of innocent victims of this depraved and unholy act of terrorism.

You forgot some major snowflake triggers:

160913103322-colin-kaepernick-la-rams-kneel-super-tease.jpg

181019MexicoCaravan.jpg

Reactions: KnightSlayer
I think it's super overplayed as well, but jeez - it was written in 1944. The average cost of a new house then was about $3,500.00. When viewed through today's lens the lyrics seem awful, but I believe they were intended to be playful when originally written ('What's in this drink' certainly meant booze - not a roofie....).

So, can someone come up with a good reason to stop playing 'Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time'??

I think it's super overplayed as well, but jeez - it was written in 1944. The average cost of a new house then was about $3,500.00. When viewed through today's lens the lyrics seem awful, but I believe they were intended to be playful when originally written ('What's in this drink' certainly meant booze - not a roofie....).

So, can someone come up with a good reason to stop playing 'Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time'??

Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time doesn't bother me. I've heard far worse...
This for example is my by and away Far Worse even worse than barking dogs...

It’s exclusionary. What about non-Christians? Atheists, Muslims, Jews, Sikhs, Buddhists, Hindus, Zoroastrians, Jains, Shintos, Neo-Pagans et al. are left out! Let’s run with it and see if it gains any traction. ;)

BTW, as per the article linked above, the whole “What’s in this drink.” was simply a joke that was oft used in movies and everyday life. A person did something out of character and said tounge-in-cheek: Hey, what’s in this drink!

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
How are they with
Every Breath You Take
Wake Up Little Susie
Only the Good Die Young
Tonight's the Night

Reactions: step.eng69
It’s exclusionary. What about non-Christians? Atheists, Muslims, Jews, Sikhs, Buddhists, Hindus, Zoroastrians, Jains, Shintos, Neo-Pagans et al. are left out! Let’s run with it and see if it gains any traction. ;)

BTW, as per the article linked above, the whole “What’s in this drink.” was simply a joke that was oft used in movies and everyday life. A person did something out of character and said tounge-in-cheek: Hey, what’s in this drink!

This is by far the best "Whats in this drink" song...

I can come up with a great reason for not playing “Wonderful Christmas”. It’s horrible.

Last edited:
they say the lyrics are offensive in 2018, so will no longer play among the Christmas music.

trying to get other stations to join the boycott of this song from +60 years ago. I feel much safer.

Really?

In today's climate, obviously, this song would never be made nor well-received. However, it is a holiday classic that (I believe) was made with good intentions ... but its wording doesn't hold up. Banning it from a radio station feels like a publicity stunt more than actual "outrage."

:eek:

they say the lyrics are offensive in 2018, so will no longer play among the Christmas music.

trying to get other stations to join the boycott of this song from +60 years ago. I feel much safer.

Gestapo like SJW's at work.

How are they with
Every Breath You Take
Wake Up Little Susie
Only the Good Die Young
Tonight's the Night

I don't think Wake Up Little Susie (lyrics below) should be lumped in with the others. In Susie they fell asleep at the drive in and got home late. The guy is actually concerned about their reputation when they did nothing wrong.

"Wake Up Little Susie"

Wake up, little Susie, wake up

We've both been sound asleep
Wake up little Susie and weep
The movie's over, it's four o'clock
And we're in trouble deep

Wake up, little Susie
Wake up, little Susie

Well, what are we gonna tell your Mama
What are we gonna tell your Pa?
What are we gonna tell our friends
When they say, "Ooh la la!"

Wake up, little Susie
Wake up, little Susie

Well, I told your Mama that you'd be in by ten
Well, Susie baby, looks like we goofed again
Wake up, little Susie
Wake up, little Susie
We gotta go home

The movie wasn't so hot
It didn't have much of a plot
We fell asleep, our goose is cooked
Our reputation is shot

Wake up, little Susie
Wake up, little Susie

Well, what are we gonna tell your Ma-ma

Wake up, little Susie
Wake up, little Susie
Wake up, little Susie

close_48.png

Last edited:
In today's climate, obviously, this song would never be made nor well-received. However, it is a holiday classic that (I believe) was made with good intentions ... but its wording doesn't hold up. Banning it from a radio station feels like a publicity stunt more than actual "outrage."

The song doesn't apply in today's climate, since it's no longer a no-no to spend the night at your boyfriend's house and the girl wouldn't be looking for excuses to stay.

I don't think Wake Up Little Susie (lyrics below) should be lumped in with the others. In Susie they fell asleep in the movie theater and got home late. The guy is actually concerned about their reputation when they did nothing wrong.

"Wake Up Little Susie"

Wake up, little Susie
Wake up, little Susie

Wake up, little Susie
Wake up, little Susie

Wake up, little Susie
Wake up, little Susie
We gotta go home

The movie wasn't so hot
Our reputation is shot

Wake up, little Susie
Wake up, little Susie

Wake up, little Susie
Wake up, little Susie
Wake up, little Susie

close_48.png

But how do you explain the lesser known but equally provocative follow-up ditty by Mr. Holly entitled "Wake up Little Susie, It's Time to Give Birth"?

o_O

I don't think Wake Up Little Susie (lyrics below) should be lumped in with the others. In Susie they fell asleep in the movie theater and got home late. The guy is actually concerned about their reputation when they did nothing wrong.

"Wake Up Little Susie"

Wake up, little Susie
Wake up, little Susie

Wake up, little Susie
Wake up, little Susie

Wake up, little Susie
Wake up, little Susie
We gotta go home

The movie wasn't so hot
Our reputation is shot

Wake up, little Susie
Wake up, little Susie

Wake up, little Susie
Wake up, little Susie
Wake up, little Susie

close_48.png

Those lyrics are remarkably similar to Baby It’s Cold Outside - all the reasons she has to go home or her rep. will be shot. The only difference is the guy is trying to - gasp - convince her to stay in Baby. Besides, I often doubted that the guy and Little Susie really fell asleep. Or rather, maybe they did fall asleep...AFTER.

Those lyrics are remarkably similar to Baby It’s Cold Outside - all the reasons she has to go home or her rep. will be shot. The only difference is the guy is trying to - gasp - convince her to stay in Baby. Besides, I often doubted that the guy and Little Susie really fell asleep. Or rather, maybe they did fall asleep...AFTER.

Ah, we will just have to disagree. The song was written by the husband-wife songwriting team of Boudleaux and Felice Bryant. Years later Felice said ''It was a song we wanted kids to dance to at sock hops." She went on to say: "I guess it is about guilt, a little bit. But we weren`t trying to send any messages out. Boudleaux and I just wanted to write a little song about two kids who fell asleep at a drive-in." And she added "it was just a song. The Everly Brothers had a session coming up, and it was a job we had to get done. They needed a song to sing, which meant we had to write one. `Wake Up Little Susie` turned out to be it."

I don't think Wake Up Little Susie (lyrics below) should be lumped in with the others. In Susie they fell asleep at the drive in and got home late. The guy is actually concerned about their reputation when they did nothing wrong.

"Wake Up Little Susie"

Wake up, little Susie
Wake up, little Susie

Wake up, little Susie
Wake up, little Susie

Wake up, little Susie
Wake up, little Susie
We gotta go home

The movie wasn't so hot
Our reputation is shot

Wake up, little Susie
Wake up, little Susie

Wake up, little Susie
Wake up, little Susie
Wake up, little Susie

close_48.png
Not sure I see a drive-in reference; I always thought it was more what the kids these days consider a Netfix and chill situation. I'm not even sure that nothing happened but I suppose that, if it did, the conversation between them would include references.

Everybody wants to be offended by something these days, including the folks who are offended because somebody else is offended by something that doesn't offend them.

Not sure I see a drive-in reference; I always thought it was more what the kids these days consider a Netfix and chill situation. I'm not even sure that nothing happened but I suppose that, if it did, the conversation between them would include references.
There is no drive-in reference. One of the two song writers said that was their intent. Two kids, back in the 50's, go to a drive-in. They are to be home by 10. The movie is boring. Both fall sound asleep. The guy wakes up at 4 AM and his words are directed to his still sleeping girlfriend. He is concerned about their reputations. He knows the parents will be angry and their friends will think something happened when it did not. As my last post indicated, Felice Bryant, one of the songwriters said "Boudleaux and I just wanted to write a little song about two kids who fell asleep at a drive-in." To me it's as simple as that. They wrote a song with a simple premise and people gave it their own interpretation. So be it.

Last edited:
Reactions: eidolon21
There is no drive-in reference. One of the two song writers said that was their intent. Two kids, back in the 50's, go to a drive-in. They are to be home by 10. The movie is boring. Both fall sound asleep. The guy wakes up at 4 AM and his words are directed to his still sleeping girlfriend. He is concerned about their reputations. He knows the parents will be angry and their friends will think something happened when it did not. As my last post indicated, Felice Bryant, one of the songwriters said "Boudleaux and I just wanted to write a little song about two kids who fell asleep at a drive-in." To me it's as simple as that. They wrote a song with a simple premise and people gave it their own interpretation. So be it.

Come on, like the employees at the drive-in would leave a car there after closing without checking on it. I kid! I kid! :D

Reactions: fairgambit

I always thought it was a drive-in too. Never realized they didn't actually say where.

Ah, we will just have to disagree. The song was written by the husband-wife songwriting team of Boudleaux and Felice Bryant. Years later Felice said ''It was a song we wanted kids to dance to at sock hops." She went on to say: "I guess it is about guilt, a little bit. But we weren`t trying to send any messages out. Boudleaux and I just wanted to write a little song about two kids who fell asleep at a drive-in." And she added "it was just a song. The Everly Brothers had a session coming up, and it was a job we had to get done. They needed a song to sing, which meant we had to write one. `Wake Up Little Susie` turned out to be it."
and that dynamic duo also brought us 'good ol' rocky top, rocky top Tennessee!!'

and that dynamic duo also brought us 'good ol' rocky top, rocky top Tennessee!!'

Indeed they did. They were very successful, writing a lot of Everly stuff like "Bye, Bye Love", "Bird Dog", "All I Have To Do Is Dream (Boudeleaux only), "Take A Message To Mary", and also wrote songs for Roy Orbison, Emmylou Harris, Ricky Van Shelton, among others.

The song is clearly a dog whistle for violent rape. All future radio time slots should be replaced with a non-offensive song such as Mo Bamba.

You noticed how that song quickly was taken off the play list the last two home games. I'm sure they got all sorts of complaints once people looked up the full lyrics

Reactions: BBrown
it's not rapey

for Pete's sake
I don't really like this song, but it is not rapey (in fact it's quite the opposite). Please read the history of the song here (to get around paywall, use Google Incognito).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...e-women-what-happened/?utm_term=.8432b8120a92

This is an example of people not knowing what they are talking about and projecting their own agenda on art, even when it directly contradicts the artist.

DL;DR people are morons.

PC is a mental illness. Crank that tune up!!

Everybody wants to be offended by something these days, including the folks who are offended because somebody else is offended by something that doesn't offend them.
I wake up every morning telling myself that today's the day I'm going to find something to be offended by. But it never happens. Maybe it's because I don't give a shit.

Indeed they did. They were very successful, writing a lot of Everly stuff like "Bye, Bye Love", "Bird Dog", "All I Have To Do Is Dream (Boudeleaux only), "Take A Message To Mary", and also wrote songs for Roy Orbison, Emmylou Harris, Ricky Van Shelton, among others.

Oh, no. In "Bird Dog," doesn't Johnny tiptoe up to the teacher and kiss her? And now he's her pet? Johnny even made the teacher let him sit next to the singer's girlfriend. How did Johnny make her do it ... blackmail? Surely with all these female teacher-preys-on-teenage boys incidents, that song has to be banned.

If it's not obvious I'm kidding, I'll admit it here. And I don't think teachers having sex with students is acceptable. Have I covered all bases?

I'll take it as the load of shit it is. Given your apparent inability to understand spoken English, I'd wager you also believe that "with the the benefit of hindsight, I wish I'd done more" really means "I knew everything that Sandusky was doing and chose to do nothing about it."

UFB
Okay, I’ll play along. Since he is unable to comprehend spoken English, how would YOU translate the following quote(s)?

“I moved on her like a bitch. Yeah, that’s her. With the gold. I better use some Tic Tacs just in case I start kissing her. You know, I’m automatically attracted to beautiful — I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab ’em by the pussy. You can do anything.”

Last edited:
Reactions: ivan brunetti
The song isn’t about rape, but I’m guessing you couldn’t be bothered to read the linked article written by a feminist explaining the song. Time and place (context) is all important if you want to understand songs, movies, books, from 80 plus years ago. I swear some people today could read Johnathan Swift’s A Modest Proposal and think it actually advocated the eating of children.

People just want their outrage served up in neat, easily digestible packages. No thought required. Just add outrage.

Wow. You found one feminist who defends the song. Surely that cancels out the thousands of other feminists who think the song is trash.

Like finding one scientist who says climate change isn't happening. Now, no one needs to worry!

In today's society, people get their jollies off finding things to be offended by.

The Radio Station's marketing person ought to get a Christmas bonus for this. They could have just stopped playing it but no, they had to announce it to the press that they were banning it so now everyone is talking about their station.

ADVERTISEMENT