ADVERTISEMENT

Cleveland radio station taking "Baby its cold outside" off the radio

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
they say the lyrics are offensive in 2018, so will no longer play among the Christmas music.

trying to get other stations to join the boycott of this song from +60 years ago. I feel much safer.

Wife and I have been joking for years that it has a mild rapey vibe to it. He basically tries to get her drunk and won’t let her leave.

Our president brags about raping chicks. Take that however you will.

In today's climate, obviously, this song would never be made nor well-received. However, it is a holiday classic that (I believe) was made with good intentions ... but its wording doesn't hold up. Banning it from a radio station feels like a publicity stunt more than actual "outrage."

Wife and I have been joking for years that it has a mild rapey vibe to it. He basically tries to get her drunk and won’t let her leave.

When I was a pledge at one of the fraternities, that is what we were told to do. Get them drinking and don't let them leave.

It seems many of us having been joking about the rapey vibe of this song for years, but only in the past 5 or so did it begin getting discussed publicly.

Honestly, it’s been getting overplayed IMO, so I’m not against a boycott for a while for that reason alone.

Reactions: BBrown
Half the songs from that area are about underage girls or taking advantage of women

And blackface was once an acceptable form of entertainment on both stage and cartoon but we seem to have moved past that one. Though if we're getting rid of "Baby it's cold outside" can we also get rid of "Santa Baby" since it promotes gold digging?

Our president brags about raping chicks. Take that however you will.

I'll take it as the load of shit it is. Given your apparent inability to understand spoken English, I'd wager you also believe that "with the the benefit of hindsight, I wish I'd done more" really means "I knew everything that Sandusky was doing and chose to do nothing about it."

UFB

Reactions: N&B4PSU
It seems many of us having been joking about the rapey vibe of this song for years, but only in the past 5 or so did it begin getting discussed publicly.

Honestly, it’s been getting overplayed IMO, so I’m not against a boycott for a while for that reason alone.

Obfuscating your true intentions with the “its overplayed” argument? Jacobin.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I'm guessing people who are "offended" by the lyrics don't even understand the motivation for the lyrics at the time.

The girl WANTS to stay, but it's society telling her she should leave due to social norms at the time regarding single women staying over at a man's house. It's not the guy begging her to stay over her objections.

they say the lyrics are offensive in 2018, so will no longer play among the Christmas music.

trying to get other stations to join the boycott of this song from +60 years ago. I feel much safer.

So, "Keep the rape in CHRISTMAS"?

Not all traditions are worth keeping.

I can understand why its being removed my question is why publicly announce it just don't play it. Do you really think someone is going to say "Hey how come that station doesn't play Baby Its Cold Outside anymore"? I doubt it.
It reminded me of our idiots that decided to publicly say there weren't playing Sweet Caroline anymore because of the "touching me, touching you" line. :rolleyes:

So, "Keep the rape in CHRISTMAS"?

Not all traditions are worth keeping.

The song isn’t about rape, but I’m guessing you couldn’t be bothered to read the linked article written by a feminist explaining the song. Time and place (context) is all important if you want to understand songs, movies, books, from 80 plus years ago. I swear some people today could read Johnathan Swift’s A Modest Proposal and think it actually advocated the eating of children.

People just want their outrage served up in neat, easily digestible packages. No thought required. Just add outrage.

Good can we also get rid of the barking dogs jingle bells. I'm sure that somehow those dogs were mistreated.
Oh and while we are at it or at least me lets get rid of The Christmas Shoes song, for the OMG schmaltz factor alone.

In today's climate, obviously, this song would never be made nor well-received. However, it is a holiday classic that (I believe) was made with good intentions ... but its wording doesn't hold up. Banning it from a radio station feels like a publicity stunt more than actual "outrage."
As so much of these things are.

Good can we also get rid of the barking dogs jingle bells. I'm sure that somehow those dogs were mistreated.
Oh and while we are at it or at least me lets get rid of The Christmas Shoes song, for the OMG schmaltz factor alone.

Anthropomorphizng animals. It’s gotta go!

Reactions: BBrown
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT