ADVERTISEMENT

Classic match from 1979

That was an amazing match. Why was there more offense in those days? Today you'd never see a wrestler let another one up with less than a minute to go while he was only ahead by one or two.
Also the pace was amazing. It just seems like guys today can't keep anywhere near that pace. Most guys anyway. Is there any rule changes that have led to wrestling with less action?
It seems like guys back then weren't afraid to get scored on. Also there was never a point where you thought there could be stalling when compared to today's matches it seems like there should be a stall call every damn match lol.

They say that the wrestlers are better today but why is the wrestling not as good? Sry for the long post. I'm just not educated enough on wrestling back then.

That was an amazing match. Why was there more offense in those days? Today you'd never see a wrestler let another one up with less than a minute to go while he was only ahead by one or two.
Also the pace was amazing. It just seems like guys today can't keep anywhere near that pace. Most guys anyway. Is there any rule changes that have led to wrestling with less action?
It seems like guys back then weren't afraid to get scored on. Also there was never a point where you thought there could be stalling when compared to today's matches it seems like there should be a stall call every damn match lol.

They say that the wrestlers are better today but why is the wrestling not as good? Sry for the long post. I'm just not educated enough on wrestling back then.
I'm surprised by your post. I've always thought that just the opposite was true. Scoring is much easier now adays because of tilts and various other new-fangled holds. Gene Mills invented the tilt just about the time of the above video. It took the powers-that-be a while to adjust the rules to Mills' tactics, so he wracked up dozens of points with one tilt, before they forced you to release the hold before getting another tilt. Other than that, back points are more easily awarded than they were in the distant past. Actually when I was wrestling, points were awarded based upon the angle of the pin hold. If the back was a certain degree to the mat, one got 2 points; closer got 3 points. There was none of this counting to 5 crap. And refs were slower to look for back points. And the angle of the back had to be much more than 90 degrees. Zain would barely get a kid past 90 degrees and end up with 4 points. Back then, a ref wouldn't even start to look till it went to 45 degrees.

Take the crab ride for example. Back then it was just an annoying ride. Kids would cling to your back and you would work just to get out of the crab. Today, you see a David Taylor throw a crab ride and roll back through and have a half and back points. Then it was a boring ride. Now it's an exciting setup to a pin.

And stalling! Kids in my day were artists at stalling. I had a teammate, a NJ state champ, who could untie his shoe laces from any position. He had a real talent. And riding time? Back then you could get 2 points for 2 minutes of RT. And there was non of this 'parallel ride' nonsense. You rode a guy and he stayed rode.

And the matches were 3-3-3. Brutal. The first 3-3-3 bout I wrestled, scared I would die out there, I rode the kid for over 8 minutes, not making a move till I absolutely had to, and wasn't called for stalling once. Today, I would have been DQ'd by the second period.

And no one ever has had the pace of a Jason Nolf or Ztrain. I watched my first dual meet in 1958, and I'm here to tell you, today's wrestling is the greatest ever. Spencer Lee is the wrestler of today who most reminds me of the old time stars, working kids over with bars. But his pace is amazing.

Be glad you are watching the wrestlers of today. Best ever.

Last edited:
I think the hard grueling weight cut with the hours on the tread mill/ bike and or road work along with the 24 hour weigh in made for some huge gas tanks

I think the hard grueling weight cut with the hours on the tread mill/ bike and or road work along with the 24 hour weigh in made for some huge gas tanks
Yes, guys were in shape back then. And everyone had a weight loss trick. My brother used enemas. A friend would come in the day of every meet 3-4 pounds over. You would see him running the halls by the gym all day long on meet day. Run to the end of the hall, spit in the water fountain. Run to the other end of the hall, spit in the water fountain. RInse and repeat all day long.He always made weight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT