ADVERTISEMENT

Class of 2019 recruiting

matter7172

Nov 14, 2012
Looking at Intermat's and Flo's lists "who's going where" I was struck by a few things. One, the recruits seem much more spread out among schools than in the recent past. Two, most B1G schools have very small recruiting classes - but that isn't limited to B1G schools. Because of the spread, very few schools have large classes. The exceptions are primarily schools that have pretty empty cupboards. Three, Iowa has no Iowa recruits and Penn State has no PA recruits. Four, Ohio State and Cornell look to be 1/2 in recruit class rankings from a quick perusal.

Reactions: jtothemfp
I like PSUs 2019 class of Brooks, Lee, Nevills, Beard, Busiello over anyone’s incoming class by a landslide. Unless they are considered 18 even though they not starting till 19?

I feel like I’m missing someone? Would love to see Starocci but I feel like we spoiled enough

I like PSUs 2019 class of Brooks, Lee, Nevills, Beard, Busiello over anyone’s incoming class by a landslide. Unless they are considered 18 even though they not starting till 19?

I feel like I’m missing someone? Would love to see Starocci but I feel like we spoiled enough

Busiello is the only one included in the Class of 2019.

Agree, and this supports the case I made in the Hall RS thread. With more wrestlers now taking advantage of the different eligibility clock-pause devices, fans using Recruiting Rankings that strictly evaluate wrestlers grouped into HS-eligibility class groupings to compare one team's rankings to another--without acknowledging greyshirts--amounts to comparing apples & oranges.

Functionally, comparing PSU's 2019 class to others', without including Brooks, Beard, Seth & Joe Lee, provides inaccurate/incomplete analysis.

Reactions: pish69
I'll defend the recruiting rankings but saying that I think they do the best the can with the info they have at the time. For the 2018 class, it was assumed that most of the guys who eventually greyshirted would be on the team for 18-19, so they were counted in the 2018 rankings. It would be double counting to have them again in the 2019 rankings, so they're left off.

If someone looking at rankings and saying PSU is in trouble because their 2019 recruiting class only has one top level guy in it, I agree, that's an incomplete analysis. But also, I don't think any ranking service is coming to that conclusion.

I'll defend the recruiting rankings but saying that I think they do the best the can with the info they have at the time. For the 2018 class, it was assumed that most of the guys who eventually greyshirted would be on the team for 18-19, so they were counted in the 2018 rankings. It would be double counting to have them again in the 2019 rankings, so they're left off.

If someone looking at rankings and saying PSU is in trouble because their 2019 recruiting class only has one top level guy in it, I agree, that's an incomplete analysis. But also, I don't think any ranking service is coming to that conclusion.

Oh, 100% agreed. Impossibly annoying request to ask the rankings services to recategorize whole groups of recruits, already logically grouped by HS eligibility expiration, into some new hybrid, depending on who greyshirst, redshirts, missions, militarys, any of that.

Rather, the fans just need to be honest with each other and not compare sliding goal posts.

Talking about Ohio State's 2019 class who all enroll next year? Compare it to PSU's 2019 class which is nearly nonexistent? Or to PSU's 2018 class, which all postponed enrollment and joined up when tOSU's '19 class did?

You & I are synced up here, Matter.

Seems to me the spreadsheet at the top, combined with each individuals “ quality” ranking gives me a good feel for fit and quality, whatever the individual class rank.
Question: I assume the coaches recruit 2 years in advance, which we can adjust for grey and red shirt. Correct or not ?

Seems to me the spreadsheet at the top, combined with each individuals “ quality” ranking gives me a good feel for fit and quality, whatever the individual class rank.
Question: I assume the coaches recruit 2 years in advance, which we can adjust for grey and red shirt. Correct or not ?
I'm not current on what the NCAA rules are when it comes to contacting recruits. I would assume each case is unique when it comes to when recruitment begins. Higher profile kids probably get contacted much earlier, regardless of weight or fit.

ADVERTISEMENT