ADVERTISEMENT

Clarion open

I guess Facundo and I share something in common. What were the changes to overtime?
This year, first SV is 2 minutes. If no score, then they go to the 30-sec stall-outs. If still tied, then the match is determined by RT -- 1 sec of RT = winner.

If the match is still tied and no RT difference, then they go to a 2nd SV (1 min), and then if necessary a 2nd set of stall-outs.

late to the party also,does this mean Facundo will redshirt and if so who at 165.thanks.
He will start the season in redshirt. That does not mean his redshirt won't get pulled later in the season. Cael often waits until the scuffle (team duals this year) are over.....or later. If and when he is clearly the best......he will be in there :)

Reactions: dnit
This year, first SV is 2 minutes. If no score, then they go to the 30-sec stall-outs. If still tied, then the match is determined by RT -- 1 sec of RT = winner.

If the match is still tied and no RT difference, then they go to a 2nd SV (1 min), and then if necessary a 2nd set of stall-outs.
I wish OT was turn the off the clock and wrestle until someone scores a TD. (But no one has asked me. Yet.)

Reactions: Thenightking
I've only been following it closely since wrestling was invented a little over a decade ago, but I don't recall so many PSU non-starters placing so high before in a large D1 only tournament. Its a strong practice room, that's for certain. I also saw a lot of action from all of them.
Well, it was a much weaker tourney compared to Keystone, Binghamton, and NLO where some teams sent their starters.

But within that context, our guys did have a good showing -- both in terms of placement but more importantly in terms of pushing a high-scoring pace. Lots to like today.

When do they have to try 2-point conversions?

I don’t know if this has been mentioned, but Steen looked tiny to me. It looked like he was wrestling 141#s. I’m not worried about his aggression or technique. When he grows into that 125 pound weight class, he will be just fine. But he does not have the horsepower yet.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
I know Clay already alluded to it but can we end the Wang jokes today for good? Are we a bunch of 15 year olds because I remember those jokes from high school.

This kid is a wrestler for Penn State who is grinding in the room for us despite knowing he'll never make the lineup. Pretty childish to just make jokes about his name which I'm sure he's heard all his life.
Good idea. While we're at it, we should all chill out on overreacting and diagnosing issues for true freshmen in their first collegiate action.

Really Inappropriate jokes on a site read by parents and recruits and he is one of our wrestlers .
Message boards aren’t something to take serious by anyone. Give it a break. Mods should Delete anything over the top.

Reactions: Ski
Still processing the whole bunch, but here's a few photos from today:

4MdiwAi.jpg

F4SyEqF.jpg

F8A1nkm.jpg

876vll1.jpg

Sorry to be so negative about our 125 woes. I've been quiet and holding back in recent years, and something finally decided to let loose in me. Perhaps it's the "LemonPie Penn State Pessimism". Or maybe it's the building frustrations I've had in recent years seeing our 125's get repeatedly dominated with no answers in sight. Yeah, I know there still might be hope for Robbie even with his shoulders, or a 1 year miracle spring transfer that more often than not doesn't come to fruition. I just feel that we should be able to do better than what we have been at 125. Nothing bugs me more than repeatedly starting off our duals in the hole. I'll zip it for now.
Please don’t zip it, I have the same feeling.

Please don’t zip it, I have the same feeling.
Same. It was amazing how long our dual streak lasted being down 4-6 points almost regularly from the get go. Not just losing at 125, but getting killed. You could tell how hard Jeff Byers had to find bright spots at that weight while calling the drubbings.

The sequence with Werner was memorable b/c that mat was as crowded as any I'd seen all day. I missed Noto's revenge but it didn't surprise me that he won. Noto is legitimately good. Confident and wrestles through every position, appears to be a little undersized but he's still young. I can see him on the podium one day.

nd9mZEl.jpg

vXYcRvp.jpg

I wish OT was turn the off the clock and wrestle until someone scores a TD. (But no one has asked me. Yet.)
Give each wrestler 30 seconds in his chosen position (flip to see who gets first choice) then if still tied, put them on their feet till they score

Reactions: Dogwelder
We were set at 125 when Nico graduated. Suriano wrestled as a true freshman like the high 4x AA he was billed to be. Then he got injured during a match and things spiraled from there.

With Suriano on the roster, we didn't get Lee. Would we have?

But we did bring in Teske. Things didn't work out for him here, but he too looks like the real deal now.

We brought in Howard. He also looks like the real deal but is dealing with injuries.

We had Teasdale for a bit. We tried bringing in Matty Parker. Carson Kuhn gave it a go.

It's been a bit of bad luck and a bit of being spoiled by the riches of the past and what we have in other weight classes in what has been the most dominant team in college sports for a decade.

There's 9.9 scholarships and not everyone can AA as a freshman. We've certainly rostered enough high level talent to score at 125. Just have had a bit of bad luck.

Oh how I’d love for Nick Lee to get payback on the mouthy Kaden Gfeller.

Alas, their careers have diverged quite radically since that Scuffle
Fun future NLWC Rokfin Folkstyle Card: Grudge Match Edition. Donnel vs. Carter, Bo vs. Nate Jackson, Nick vs. GFeller, RBY vs. Gomez, I suppose DT vs. Bubba would be a bit too much.

• Haha
Reactions: Str8DBLz
With Suriano on the roster, we didn't get Lee. Would we have?.
A narrative that simply won't die.

Suriano would've moved to 133 -- as he did at Rutgers.

And Lee chose Iowa when he attended Olympic Trials at CHA, sat with McDonough, and saw Iowa have both finalists at his weight.

Reactions: Reslo and nitlion6
Oh how I’d love for Nick Lee to get payback on the mouthy Kaden Gfeller.

Alas, their careers have diverged quite radically since that Scuffle

"Kaden Gfeller does not appear to be the most stable of human beings."
- All-time Byers quote

A narrative that simply won't die.

Suriano would've moved to 133 -- as he did at Rutgers.

And Lee chose Iowa when he attended Olympic Trials at CHA, sat with McDonough, and saw Iowa have both finalists at his weight.
You mean like he did after spending a 2nd year at 125 and wrestling in Lee in the National finals.

I have no idea if it had any influence; apparently you do. I’ll defer.

You mean like he did after spending a 2nd year at 125 and wrestling in Lee in the National finals.

I have no idea if it had any influence; apparently you do. I’ll defer.

It didn't. At all. Spencer loved Terry. Penn State was obviously in the running, but him going to Iowa was completely based on Terry. I'm just glad you guys didn't get him. That would have been just unfair to the rest of the wrestling world.

2018 PSU NCAAs would have been:

125: Spencer Lee
133: Nick Suriano
141: Nick Lee
149: Zain
157: Nolf
165: Cenzo
174: Hall
184: Nickal
197: Sheed
285: Nevills

That's 6 champs and 10 AAs. Sheesh.

All I know is that if this tournament were a pulling event, John Deere from Beer University would’ve won

Reactions: d-1980
It didn't. At all. Spencer loved Terry. Penn State was obviously in the running, but him going to Iowa was completely based on Terry. I'm just glad you guys didn't get him. That would have been just unfair to the rest of the wrestling world.

2018 PSU NCAAs would have been:

125: Spencer Lee
133: Nick Suriano
141: Nick Lee
149: Zain
157: Nolf
165: Cenzo
174: Hall
184: Nickal
197: Sheed
285: Nevills

That's 6 champs and 10 AAs. Sheesh.
#HighStandards 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I hope you guys realize when you recruit a blue chipper and he's injured, there will be a hole at a weight generally ...

Just for the record, here's the explanation of PSU's hole since Suriano:
2017 - 2018: Kind of hard to find a backup when your guy leaves in the summer. Found Kuhn second semester and he was basically not remotely in wrestling shape. His scrappiness did save the OSU dual though! He came close to qualifying for NCAAs even.
2018 - 2019: Recruited Teske, redshirted him, we didn't really need the points that year considering we won by 40 with a relatively subpar tournament. Didn't make much sense to go for a transfer here.
2019 - 2020: Teske was our guy but was injured and also homesick, leaves PSU after Fall semester. Can't fault the kid, as someone on the board previously posted, the kid was going through A LOT and needed to get back home.
2020 - 2021: Howard (with basically a month of mat time) ... injured at NCAAs
Teske had skeletons in his closet his senior year in high school that numerous schools and people knew about. A family member of mine told me of issues immediately after states. Surprised Cael and Co. didn't know.

ADVERTISEMENT