ADVERTISEMENT

Clarion open

I hope you guys realize when you recruit a blue chipper and he's injured, there will be a hole at a weight generally ...

Just for the record, here's the explanation of PSU's hole since Suriano:
2017 - 2018: Kind of hard to find a backup when your guy leaves in the summer. Found Kuhn second semester and he was basically not remotely in wrestling shape. His scrappiness did save the OSU dual though! He came close to qualifying for NCAAs even.
2018 - 2019: Recruited Teske, redshirted him, we didn't really need the points that year considering we won by 40 with a relatively subpar tournament. Didn't make much sense to go for a transfer here.
2019 - 2020: Teske was our guy but was injured and also homesick, leaves PSU after Fall semester. Can't fault the kid, as someone on the board previously posted, the kid was going through A LOT and needed to get back home.
2020 - 2021: Howard (with basically a month of mat time) ... injured at NCAAs
The one thing that jumped out at me is that is a lot of injuries at 125. Each our last three high recruits at the weight got hurt as freshman.

The one thing that jumped out at me is that is a lot of injuries at 125. Each our last three high recruits at the weight got hurt as freshman.
We seem to have a lot of injuries in general.

We seem to have a lot of injuries in general.
It's not a Penn State thing. It's a wrestling thing. It's a sport where people are going to get banged up. We just look at PSU's under a microscope. Brooks even alluded to the fact he was injured last year on Baschamania and said he was taking some time off to really get healthy after NCAAs.

I know Clay already alluded to it but can we end the Wang jokes today for good? Are we a bunch of 15 year olds because I remember those jokes from high school.

This kid is a wrestler for Penn State who is grinding in the room for us despite knowing he'll never make the lineup. Pretty childish to just make jokes about his name which I'm sure he's heard all his life.

Brown, who had majored Steen, up 5-0 on Luke Werner after 1.

6-0 after 2.
Quick td at start of 3rd and now 8-0.
Brown by MD 10-2.

Dude…he is a freshman and its November
I know but the kid's MO from HS is he's an absolute ox of a wrestler. Might take some Ls but it's hard to blow it open on him. He's wrestling kids around his age and got horsed around. That's why I think something is off.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
I know but the kid's MO from HS is he's an absolute ox of a wrestler. Might take some Ls but it's hard to blow it open on him. He's wrestling kids around his age and got horsed around. That's why I think something is off.
I know from experience as a more defensive wrestler that the college jump is hard. It messes with your head in a big way. I couldnt imagine trying to score in the PSU room. I would think he is going through that normal transition.

Brown lost in the first round to Bailey, who is in the final against Curry.

after his 1st round loss, Brown has won by Fall, major (Steen), major and major (Werner).

I know it’s the Clarion open and not the Southern Scuffle, and going 0-2 was not what anyone was hoping for, but Brown <was> a high level recruit. The Steen loss looks a little more palatable with each bonus win by Brown.

Facundo up 4-2 on Lawrence after two. Two TDs to two escapes. 37 secs of RT. (Almost 3rd TD at buzzer).

escape makes it 5-2. 1:16 in 3rd

physical match on feet; some clubbing.

5-2 is the final.

edit: apparently they stopped the match with 10 secs to wrestle and awarded the win to Facundo. Watching it live with no sound, I thought the clock was off. But Lawrence was throwing some heavy hands to the head and they apparently called the match over it.

Last edited:
Good match from Facundo. Beautiful duck for his first td. Second td from an underhook and almost metzger like movement. Really nice and he almost scored with the same move earlier. Very physical and chippy 3rd period. Lots of clubs from left field

Reactions: diggerpup
I do believe Lawrence was warned for clubbing. On my screen ...the match ended with the ref blowing a whistle with 10 seconds left and the ref holding up a thumb/finger and pointing to Lawrence and then Alex taking off his anklets. Weird
EDIT: After watching it again.......the timer didn't restart the clock at 16 seconds. It stayed at 16 for 10 seconds. The ref did award a point to someone at the very end....thought it was for Lawrence clubbing. Final score doesn't show anyone getting a point. Nice win for Alex no matter.

Last edited:
I do believe Lawrence was warned for clubbing. On my screen ...the match ended with the ref blowing a whistle with 10 seconds left and the ref holding up a thumb/finger and pointing to Lawrence and then Alex taking off his anklets. Weird
I'm just getting in from running an errand and missed the match ... but the brackets say Facundo F 6:50.

At 125, Steen lost to Lewis and Brown. Both are still alive in the consolation round of four.

At 133, Evans will wrestle in the final against Koderhandt of Navy.

At 149, SVN won by major and fall then MFF’d.

At 165, Borden is in the 5th pace bout… Facundo will face Brinsky of Clarion for chance to wrestle Borden.

At 197, Cochran will wrestle McClellan of Lock Haven in the consi round of 4; winner wrestles for 5th.

championship semifinal losers make 3rd place bout. If you lost before semifinals, the best you can do is 5th.

I think the nittany lion men have been impressive.

I'm just getting in from running an errand and missed the match ... but the brackets say Facundo F 6:50.
It wasn’t a fall; they were on their feet. I thought the clock was just off. From watching it, I’d say it was probably a penalty win of some sort for the clubbing.

It wasn’t a fall; they were on their feet. I thought the clock was just off. From watching it, I’d say it was probably a penalty win of some sort for the clubbing.
Yeah, that would make sense. Especially since the brackets also say Facundo got a stall warning 6 sec earlier while on feet.

Facundo leads Brinsky 2-1 after a minute. (Short turnaround between matches!)

Facundo clear aggressor. Sweet duck to single leg and it’s 4-1. Escape. 4-2. Td 6-2. Escape 6-3. Td 8-3. Escape 8-4. Holy crap.

8-4 after one.

Facundo takes down. Earns escape at 1:40. TD at 1:25. 11-4 at 1:20 restart.

escape. 11-5 after two. Lots of action from Facundo.

brinsky takes bottom. Escape at 1:39. 11-6. TD. 13-6. Escape 13-7. TD 15-7. 58 secs restart.

escape 15-8. 1:03 RT. 30 secs left

sweet single leg finish. 17-8. Escape. TD. RP makes it 20-9. I think.

very impressive .

Last edited:
I missed it but Cochran won 9-0 and also will wrestle for 5th.

again - keep in mind that you can’t wrestle back for 3rd if you lost before championship semifinals. Semifinal losers drop automatically to 3rd place match.

Peyton Hall true sophomore. I think Best is a rs Fr. Hall a four time state champ in WV. Best I think was at least a three timer possibly four in WV as well.

Evans down 6-0 after one. Late TD and then a high-riding cradle.

7-0 after two on an escape. 27 secs RT for navy.

escape Evans. 7-1 now.

questionable stalling point 8-1. Evans was wrestling.

10-1 final. Great run to 2nd place for Evans!

Last edited:
Reactions: Centuar94
I missed it but Cochran won 9-0 and also will wrestle for 5th.

again - keep in mind that you can’t wrestle back for 3rd if you lost before championship semifinals. Semifinal losers drop automatically to 3rd place match.

Thank you. I was scratching my head on that one.

No match for 5th between Facundo and Borden. MFF win goes to Facundo.

Evans down 6-0 after one. Late TD and then a high-riding cradle.

7-0 after two on an escape. 27 secs RT for navy.

escape Evans. 7-1 now.

questionable stalling point 8-1. Evans was wrestling.

10-1 final. Great run to 2nd place for Evans!
Koderhandt was IL state champ as a JR and did not have an opportunity to repeat (Illinois started its season in May and did not have a postseason). Plus he wrestles for Kolat, so he's obviously going to develop quickly. No shame in losing to him, though obviously we'd prefer to not give up bonus.

Reactions: Str8DBLz and mcpat
Koderhandt was IL state champ as a JR and did not have an opportunity to repeat (Illinois started its season in May and did not have a postseason). Plus he wrestles for Kolat, so he's obviously going to develop quickly. No shame in losing to him, though obviously we'd prefer to not give up bonus.
It was a TD at 2:30 in the first. He threw in legs and got a little high. I thought Evans might swim out of it but then ended up in the cradle. I like the 4pt NF when PSU is dishing it… not so much when on the receiving end. :)

late to the party also,does this mean Facundo will redshirt and if so who at 165.thanks.

According to PA-Wrestling.com, Lewis was a four time state qualifier, the AAA state runner up in 2019 and 4th in 2018. He did lose 5-2 to defending state champion Kilkeary (who ended up 3rd) and 6-4 in SV to the state champ Van Dee. He also had lost 9-7 to the undefeated Williams. Williams also knocked off the state champ Van Dee and defending state champ/3rd in the state Kilkeary but apparently didn't get to wrestle at states despite being the undefeated regional Champ (covid?).
Williams missed weight at states.

Reactions: mcpat
For all the forum members who despise freestyle & constantly butt into freestyle tourney threads to bitch about passivity:

Facundo’s opponent would have eventually been placed on the shot clock in regulation.

Yep, no doubt. The other thing is that it is beyond absurd to determine a match like that on 13 seconds of utterly meaningless "riding time" (something that does not even exist in the seminal rules of the sport "Folk-Style Wrestling" was adapted from).

Reactions: diggerpup
I've only been following it closely since wrestling was invented a little over a decade ago, but I don't recall so many PSU non-starters placing so high before in a large D1 only tournament. Its a strong practice room, that's for certain. I also saw a lot of action from all of them.

ADVERTISEMENT