ADVERTISEMENT

CJF is a pretty easy guy to "read".... if you pay attention to what he says and when he says it.

stormingnorm

Aug 2, 2017
His PC intro was essentially a "Ricky Rahne" apology tour.

That was disconcerting :) (I think the odds of anyone but RR being the OC in 2019 are approaching 0)

Couple other notes:

While CJF wouldn't say it (for good reason) the Fries Experiment was based on some type of injury issue to Fries that made them think LT might be a little less troublesome for him

Last edited:
Ricky Rahne apology tour like, "I'm sorry I promoted this guy to OC and am looking for a new one" or apology tour like "Ricky is doing the best he can and is only in his first year and we should see some improvement in the future"?

Reactions: RTRMR
Ricky Rahne apology tour like, "I'm sorry I promoted this guy to OC and am looking for a new one" or apology tour like "Ricky is doing the best he can and is only in his first year and we should see some improvement in the future"?

I sure as hell hope Franklin isn't thinking the latter.

Reactions: JJTopp99
The offense was not going to undergo wholesale change in Trace McSorely's senior year. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rahne remain as OC, but there will be some fundamental changes in the offense.
If this tweet is true, hopefully he doesn't use Clifford as the back up RB next season.

Think back to some of the JVP PCs during the dark years.
There were a lot of them back then, unfortunately :( but the one I remember as a good "for instance" was when he went on at length about how many "yards per play" they were getting on offense (it was around "5" IIRC) as if that were a good thing when you are passing 75% of the time (which is about what it was at the time of his comments). Of course, under those circumstances, gaining "5 yards per play" would be considered Rutgers-Level Bad.... but JVP was spinning it as a good accomplishment by the offense (for, I think, obvious reasons).

That's the general tenor of some of CJFs comments vav the offense today.
I don't know how many times he references "yards per carry", and also "fewer TFL" (that's the one that REALLY concerns me - - - - for a lot of reasons).

I don't think CJF is dumb - not in the least. I think the guy has done a heck of a job overall. (In fact, I think his staffs - including the 2018 staff - have, overall, done very very well).
But this Rahne thing - IMO, at least - is starting to take on the odor of "Last Weeks Catch of the Day", and I do think it is a bit disconcerting.
And most of those five yard passes came on 3rd and 6 plays.

Well Franklin has said the most improvement in coaches is from first to second year, so there is that.

My take is that Franklin defended the offensive scheme and the motion play that resulted in the fumble. Basically said that is who they are (it is their offensive identity) and they didn't execute properly but got the look they wanted. Also said offense is running the ball better this year, but needs to eliminate sacks (Oline needs to be more consistent in pass protection) and drops for the offense to take off. Wasn't really concerned with offense and half-time adjustments. Harkened back a few years when they were a second half team and was criticized for poor starts. And yes, he did say that Tommy was being used as a back-up running back after Slade went down and Brown has just come on lately. Franklin said they really didn't have another choice and it was pretty obvious to the team. This was in response about how many times Tommy has run compared to pass.

About Brown. I really like him as a back. While he didn't run much against Wisconsin, he was looking to pick-up blocks.

Well Franklin has said the most improvement in coaches is from first to second year, so there is that.

My take is that Franklin defended the offensive scheme and the motion play that resulted in the fumble. Basically said that is who they are (it is their offensive identity) and they didn't execute properly but got the look they wanted. Also said offense is running the ball better this year, but needs to eliminate sacks (Oline needs to be more consistent in pass protection) and drops for the offense to take off. Wasn't really concerned with offense and half-time adjustments. Harkened back a few years when they were a second half team and was criticized for poor starts. And yes, he did say that Tommy was being used as a back-up running back after Slade went down and Brown has just come on lately. Franklin said they really didn't have another choice and it was pretty obvious to the team. This was in response about how many times Tommy has run compared to pass.

About Brown. I really like him as a back. While he didn't run much against Wisconsin, he was looking to pick-up blocks.

He said that? That must explain Donovan then.

Unfortunately, Rahne "implementing changes" gives me no comfort :)

The roster is sooooooo much more talented than the "dark years" rosters, things will certainly not get "6-4 level bad"...… but my "better than even" expectations are for the O scheme and management to continue to deteriorate.
IMO

But those decisions ain't up to me :(
We did score 7 pts vs Michigan....to your point, with our roster and the talent on it, albeit young, barely scoring 7 with backups is a total fail on all accounts.

I noticed that too, shuffling behind the lineman with the defender blitzing, picking him up on the edge a couple of times. Kid looked good and he managed to stay out of the wash. It seems he has all the physical tools and the willingness to do the dirty work. I think he could have a very good career at PSU. Similar to Brooks on defense, he looks like he just needs some experience and maybe a little time in the weight room.

Whether we like it or not, Rahne will be the OC again next season. My only hope is that Franklin brings on someone to the staff to help him manage the game a bit better. Who that is or what capacity, I don't know.

If I was a betting man, Rahne will be fired or downgraded at the end of next season.

Whether we like it or not, Rahne will be the OC again next season. My only hope is that Franklin brings on someone to the staff to help him manage the game a bit better. Who that is or what capacity, I don't know.

If I was a betting man, Rahne will be fired or downgraded at the end of next season.
So you are expecting, at the absolute best, a 9-3 season next year?

Rahne will probably have more freedom to make changes next year as well. I doubt they were very open to changing the offense under McSorley, who thrived in JoMo's system. With a new QB, changes may be coming. Whether or not that will be good for PSU or good for Rahne remains to be seen.

So you are expecting, at the absolute best, a 9-3 season next year?
Does it matter what we expect? I suggest everyone expect that PSU will lose every game. Perhaps some will be pleasantly surprised and reduce the tusnami of bitching and moaning.

Rahne will probably have more freedom to make changes next year as well. I doubt they were very open to changing the offense under McSorley, who thrived in JoMo's system. With a new QB, changes may be coming. Whether or not that will be good for PSU or good for Rahne remains to be seen.

Seriously? I don't know how people come up with this kind of stuff.

Does it matter what we expect? I suggest everyone expect that PSU will lose every game. Perhaps some will be pleasantly surprised and reduce the tusnami of bitching and moaning.
We will never have an OC that is liked on this board unless we win every game. Evrrygame we lose will be one of the coaches’ fault and if we aren’t scoring 50 a game, it will likely be the OC.

I have my concerns about some playcalljng this year to be sure. That said, I have no problem bringing Rahne back as OC. I prefer as much consistency as possible on a coaching staff. I don’t have complete faith in Tommy Stevens to begin with. Given a third OC in three years and I will have even less.
In fairness to Rahne, the better teams on the schedule figured out early on that we only have one receiver to be concerned with, and he is a freshman who I am assuming does not have full command of the playbook.
I’d like to see what he does with the offense next year.

We will never have an OC that is liked on this board unless we win every game. Evrrygame we lose will be one of the coaches’ fault and if we aren’t scoring 50 a game, it will likely be the OC.

We get it. Criticism of a coach should only be done by the head coach, and then only behind closed doors. The players are the only ones on the field, so all mistakes are by the players.

We get it. Criticism of a coach should only be done by the head coach, and then only behind closed doors. The players are the only ones on the field, so all mistakes are by the players.
Well, if the play call doesn’t work because it’s not properly executed, then yes, it’s on the players. Until someone can pinpoint all the plays that didn’t work when the players executed perfectly, then it’s pretty hard to blame every failed play on the coach.

Until someone can pinpoint all the plays that didn’t work when the players executed perfectly, then it’s pretty hard to blame every failed play on the coach.

I don't think I've ever read on this board a post that suggested that every failed play was the fault of a coach, but you seem to take said criticisms that way. Just my opinion, but I think this causes you to lack credibility.

Reactions: zubrus1
I don't think I've ever read on this board a post that suggested that every failed play was the fault of a coach, but you seem to take said criticisms that way. Just my opinion, but I think this causes you to lack credibility.
I read a ton of posts about failed plays being bad calls. Hell, we have posters wanting to fire the OC before his first year is over. Talk about lacking credibility.

Why would you fire the OC and the national championship team?

Not sure if that is a "response" or just a T-I-C :) ..... but that is the farthest thing from anything I have ever thought, or written, regarding these staffs.
It's all he ever says if you criticized the holy staff. Exhausting.

Rahne gets one more shot like Donovan did. If he fails to improve next year, he's gone. Franklin will not sink on that ship. He's arrogant but not stupid (unless he's tasked with clock management in game)

The next time Rahne calls for a deep shot downfield will be his first. Team is too easy to defend.

I have my concerns about some playcalljng this year to be sure. That said, I have no problem bringing Rahne back as OC. I prefer as much consistency as possible on a coaching staff. I don’t have complete faith in Tommy Stevens to begin with. Given a third OC in three years and I will have even less.
In fairness to Rahne, the better teams on the schedule figured out early on that we only have one receiver to be concerned with, and he is a freshman who I am assuming does not have full command of the playbook.
I’d like to see what he does with the offense next year.
Hamler has full command of playbook. He's smart and is a redshirt freshman so has been with offense 2 years.

You bitch and whine more about the people bitching and moaning than the people bitching and moaning do.

Hamler has full command of playbook. He's smart and is a redshirt freshman so has been with offense 2 years.

I should have been more specific that he probably hasn’t had full command of the playbook all year. The veterans at receiver have failed this year.

Reactions: NittanyOpp
To be fair, in any profession people screw up in their first year. You only learn through mistakes and adversity. I bet you Rahne does just fine in year 2.

Really? Let me know who you work for so I can short the shit out of the company.

Reactions: stormingnorm
Seriously? I don't know how people come up with this kind of stuff.
So he’s saying that the offense now is the same as last year because Trace is still there?

This offense is DEFINITELY not JoMo’s offense. It lacks constant RPO. It has zero screens. Anyone see an RB wheel route recently? This offense reeks of John Donovan who Rahne learned under.

Reactions: stormingnorm
There would probably be no harm in waiting until after the season is over.

It’s not like there are quality replacements out there waiting at the bus stop.
By all means let’s give every OC one year and then bring in a new one...that makes sense.

My take on when Stevens is in the game and is given a carry, isn't there a better option/more dynamic running back to give the ball to? It's like a manager pinch hitting with player B hitting .240 when there's a better pinch hitter on the bench hitting .290 all things being equal.

I recall reading that there was at one time a course you could take at Penn State that dissected JoePa's press conferences and his statements and his statements could be read on how good the next opponent was. This was after I graduated and prior to the internet. I would have enjoyed taking that class.

This offense reeks of John Donovan who Rahne learned under.

Donovan was just a touch handcuffed. Have we forgotten about the OL that could not block a 2 man rush? Have we forgotten about the marriage to an ineffective 5* QB? Have we forgotten about how the offense looked through 5 games under JoMo?

'16 and '17 were successful because we had future NFL quality players on the field. Otherwise, JoMo has Miss St killing defenses and Donovan never has another job.

Rah! Rah! Sis-Boom-Bah!!!!

Yep. You cracked the case Gladys!! That is EXACTLY what “everyone” would like to see. :rolleyes:

Or maybe they could do what you - obviously :) - “cheer” for: Hire the absolutely least competent person you can find - - - - and leave him in the job for life.
That is EXACTLY what you are supporting..... right?

(See how that works?)

Maybe ya’ just hire a guy who’s good at the job? Eh?
Or maybe you give someone more than one year to develop and see what he can do...eh?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT