ADVERTISEMENT

Citrus It Is

zubrus1

Dec 10, 2016
https://www.sbnation.com/a/bowl-game-schedule-2018-scores

Looking forward to seeing Trace and team one last time in person. Saw him come in against Georgia in the bowl game a few years ago in Florida and this will be a nice book-end.

View image on Twitter

Penn State Football

✔@PennStateFball

https://twitter.com/PennStateFball/status/1069328874058801154

We Are... @CitrusBowl bound to take on the Kentucky Wildcats!
$
#WeAre

3:34 PM - Dec 2, 2018

Last edited:
https://www.sbnation.com/a/bowl-game-schedule-2018-scores

Looking forward to seeing Trace and team one last time in person. Some him come in against Georgia in the bowl game a few years ago in Florida and this will be a nice book-end.
I think it's a great game for PSU. Will probably be the most-watched of the Jan 1st early afternoon games and will be a good test/demonstration of PSU's offense against UK's very good defense.

I am excited by the prospect of crushing an $EC team like UK. This is gonna be a beatdown for the ages

I think it's a great game for PSU. Will probably be the most-watched of the Jan 1st early afternoon games and will be a good test/demonstration of PSU's offense against UK's very good defense.
Nobody cares about KY football. 95% of the viewers will be tuning in to watch psu. And beating KY does little for the program.

Reactions: psu00
Nobody cares about KY football. 95% of the viewers will be tuning in to watch psu. And beating KY does little for the program.

If PSU can't play for anything real (MNC, top 5 finish, ...), playing for a 10 win season will do something for the program. A win on NY's day will be a significant positive for recruiting and also put PSU in pretty elite company with 3 consecutive 10+ win seasons. And that IS something for the program.....

I believe that other than getting into the playoff, bowls are about getting a win in a great location that rewards the team for a long year of preparation work and games. And FL is normally a great location. Whereas the Pin Stripe bowl is NOT a great location...... hopefully reserved for the Iowa clowns that frequented this board......

Exactly. But PSU has no one to blame but themselves...should have, atca minimum beat MSU at home...and probably OSU too.
Easy to say, but how come Florida’s loss to Missouri didn’t cost them a NY6 bowl?

What was the argument for Texas in NY6? Second in the Big XII? They had four losses.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Kentucky beat Florida at Florida. UK and FLA have the same record but FLA is only ranked higher because they beat LSU.

Agreed. New Year's Day bowl, setting the stage for another 10-win year, another top-10 ranking, and a bowl win against a top-15 SEC team.

It ain't the best-case scenario, but it ain't so bad either.

On the offensive side of the ball, UK's got a QB hitting almost 70% of his throws and an RB who's gained over 1300 yards. Against a Penn State defense that was really hitting its stride toward the end of the year. So that's an interesting match-up too.

Reactions: m48tank and 81b&w

Would imagine the fiesta will have higher ratings.

Peach wil definitely be higher ratings for everyone arguing this slot was better than making the peach would have been.

If PSU can't play for anything real (MNC, top 5 finish, ...), playing for a 10 win season will do something for the program. A win on NY's day will be a significant positive for recruiting and also put PSU in pretty elite company with 3 consecutive 10+ win seasons. And that IS something for the program.....

I believe that other than getting into the playoff, bowls are about getting a win in a great location that rewards the team for a long year of preparation work and games. And FL is normally a great location. Whereas the Pin Stripe bowl is NOT a great location...... hopefully reserved for the Iowa clowns that frequented this board......
Don't you know by now that there is no OPTIMISM or SILVER LININGS allowed on this board ;):D

Reactions: jayhimes
Kentucky has the best defensive player in college football
Kentucky plays a style similar to Michigan
Penn State may win but it'll be a battle
SEC East > B10 East

UK fans are excited for the matchup. Most UK fans didn't quite understand how UF was ranked so highly in comparison either.

Since the BCS started, and especially sine the playoffs started, nobody pays attention to any bowl games other than the national title game. Even the 1st round of the playoffs, which is around New Year's Eve, is not widely viewed. The Rose Bowl is not even on ABC anymore, it's on cable. (Coincidentally, the Citrus is on ABC). So they have taken a once-good system and broken it badly. The result is that nobody will notice any of the games whatsoever. They are pretty much exhibition games.

What PSU has to do is win and point to 10-win seasons and top-10 finishes to show recruits that this is a national contender.

Reactions: Obliviax
Agreed. New Year's Day bowl, setting the stage for another 10-win year, another top-10 ranking, and a bowl win against a top-15 SEC team.

It ain't the best-case scenario, but it ain't so bad either.

On the offensive side of the ball, UK's got a QB hitting almost 70% of his throws and an RB who's gained over 1300 yards. Against a Penn State defense that was really hitting its stride toward the end of the year. So that's an interesting match-up too.
Kentucky’s offense is very one dimensional. Stop Snell, you stop their offense. They rely on their defense.

I for one like the matchup. A New Year's Day bowl game, It drips with nostalgia playing Jan 1 and I am already looking forward to it. What I gathered of Kentucky throughout the season points to a hard-fought game vs a worthy SEC opponent. Might not have the brand recognition of an LSU or Florida matchup but I believe this is a tough team we will be facing.

See y'all on Jan 1st. Bring it on.

I hear you but don't agree. Telling a recruit we play KY isn't going to help. If we win 72-0 it will go down as being expected. If we lose it will be a massive story. We have everything to lose and nothing to win

Kentucky has the best defensive player in college football
Kentucky plays a style similar to Michigan
Penn State may win but it'll be a battle
SEC East > B10 East

UK fans are excited for the matchup. Most UK fans didn't quite understand how UF was ranked so highly in comparison either.

So you're a Kentucky fan apparently? Welcome, sir.

One point of agreement: it's an exciting match-up, and I, for one, am looking forward to it.

One point of disagreement: the Big-10 East is, in my biased opinion, the best division in college football. Yeah, to include the SEC West.

We have to play nine conference games, and there are no cupcake breaks late in the year, as the SEC affords its teams.

Not only that, but I don't see any SEC teams having to play three tough conference games in a row. And good for you guys. It's worked out well.

In any case, I totally respect your team, which had an excellent year. May the best team win.

One thing for sure: it's a relief not to have to worry about the hose-job officiating-by-politics that characterizes our conference.

I hear you but don't agree. Telling a recruit we play KY isn't going to help. If we win 72-0 it will go down as being expected. If we lose it will be a massive story. We have everything to lose and nothing to win

You're right. It is a no win situation. Let's just hope Franklin can get the guys motivated. At least we don't have to play UCF.

Overall, pretty sh!tty matchups for the Big Ten and PAC 12 this year. It's time to go to a Plus One Playoff structure so we all know what the crap we are playing for.

Except that I'm not sure it really works that way. Franklin can lead his recruiting pitch with, top-10 finishes, 10-win seasons, 2016 Big Ten title, Rose and Fiesta bowl appearances, bowl game every year, etc. He has had so much success so recently that he doesn't even need to focus on the Citrus Bowl at all. And recruits know where Penn State stands right now; basically a top-10 program, give or take a couple of spots.

I think it's a stretch to say that this appearance vs. Kentucky somehow hurts the program.

Except that I'm not sure it really works that way. Franklin can lead his recruiting pitch with, top-10 finishes, 10-win seasons, 2016 Big Ten title, Rose and Fiesta bowl appearances, bowl game every year, etc. He has had so much success so recently that he doesn't even need to focus on the Citrus Bowl at all. And recruits know where Penn State stands right now; basically a top-10 program, give or take a couple of spots.

I think it's a stretch to say that this appearance vs. Kentucky somehow hurts the program.
Never said it hurts, but it certainly doesn't help. No kid has grown up saying 'i hope, some day, to play Kentucky on new years day' unless they are taker than 6-8

It does not hurt the program. It may not help as much as being in the playoff, but CJF will use the positives to kill it on the recruiting front, just like he has been doing the last 5 years.....

Kentucky has beat three top 25 programs this year (Fl, Miss St., Mizzzo). How many top 25 teams has PSU beaten?

I think you might be surprised at UK’s following. We’re pretty excited to be playing in this game, against a team like Penn State. Hoping your coach will underestimate our team as much as you do.

I think you might be surprised at UK’s following. We’re pretty excited to be playing in this game, against a team like Penn State. Hoping your coach will underestimate our team as much as you do.
Not sure why you are so thin skinned to suggest I am underestimating your team. UK is not a long-established college football power. As such, the program has snuck up on people. So beating UK is not going to move the needle in terms of adding to the Penn State 'brand". However, losing will hurt the brand. Last year, you lost six games including your bowl against NW.

Good luck in the game. I know you have a good team, this year, and a good coach. My brother in law knows Coach Stoops well as they both played for Cardinal Mooney back in Youngstown.

I’m not too thin skinned. And I know about and respect the Penn State football tradition. I grew up in Kentucky, but married into a family split between State College and Columbus Ohio. Loved Joe Pa, and how he treated both of the Cadogen brothers (from my community) when they played for him his last several years.
I know Big Ten fans hate to hear SEC fans talk about the strength of their conference, but Kentucky has grown slowly because we’re in the SEC. The last several years that we had a losing record, we were not blown out. We were in those games that we lost. Stoops has done a terrific job and I’m glad UK gave him the time to grow this team. It might not make a big difference to Penn State if you win, but believe me, people will be watching. UK has a big fan base. It’ll be a good game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT