ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Fowler on Pitt’s Empty Yellow Seats

To veer OT, I know it can be a big deal for high school kids to play in a professional stadium but there are other options in the area which wouldn't offer a sterile atmosphere in an almost empty venue.

For some reason there is an absolute fixation on ‘playing in the Steelers stadium’ in Pittsburgh and burbs.

Must be a pretty bad atmosphere for the games, not to mention horrible for the turf with so many games played on it over the weekend. I’m surprised the NFL doesn’t complain about the state of the field for nfl games after this weekend each year.

Last edited:
For some reason there is an absolute fixation on ‘playing in the Steelers stadium’ in Pittsburgh and burbs.

Must be a pretty bad atmosphere for the games, not to mention horrible for the turf with so many games played on it over the weekend. I’m surprised the NFL doesn’t complain about the state of the field for nfl games after this weekend each year.

When your local tax dollars are paying for the stadium, l guess that you must justify using that stadium for “local” purposes. There are definitely local stadiums that are more size appropriate for neutral sight WPIAL playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: psu00
At the end of the game, does the Pitt band go on the field and face a section of empty yellow seats and play the Pitt Alma Mater?

Reactions: mn78psu83

While I am not in agreement with holding HS games at Heinz, it should be noted that they immediately tear up the grass and re-sod after the last game.

Reactions: jim cummings
There are actually a couple of potential advantages Pitt has but neither has anything to do with the atmosphere at Heinz Field. If the weather doesn't cooperate, that may affect Miami. Many of those kids sure aren't used to weather in the 30s with wind. And if the field is all torn up from the high school games over the weekend, that may be a bit of an equalizer. Probably not enough for Pitt but some home field advantages owing to geography rather than fan support.

Yeah but how well will new sod take in November? ;).

Ask these guys:

The_who_odds_and_sods.jpg

I swear this happens to the Steelers' stadium every year. If they are set on playing so many games in such a short time every November, why don't they just switch to artificial turf?

The RBs, specifically Willie Parker and Lev Bell were vocal in this regard because the question usually comes up this time every year. There are weekends on occasion when the WPIAL plays, then Pitt/and or the Steelers play so people wonder why the surface is not changed. Resodding it seems like spitting in the wind on these occasions.

The pro players have a big say in it because it allows them to take part in their home field advantage.

Supposedly the grass is so warm because of the underground system, it continues to grow for just about the entire season. They've got the whole system of resodding all figured out, although when they first started doing it, it seemed pretty bad.

Pitt people taking advantage of their free tickets
Ticket values are rapidly increasing on Stubhub. I sold my 4 free ones for $39.99 each but probably should have waited. May have been able to get $50 or $60 each.

The Pitt website does not have any lowers available. I am wondering if long-suffering bandwagon Miami fans within a 5-6 hour radius are all coming. 10K Miami fans? 15K? 50K total?

To veer OT, I know it can be a big deal for high school kids to play in a professional stadium but there are other options in the area which wouldn't offer a sterile atmosphere in an almost empty venue.
Carnegie Mellon has a nice facility. Unlike their neighbors...

Mark Packer was talking to a caller on his ESPNU radio show this afternoon, and told the guy that the Miami team has to watch out when they play Pitt this Friday... because the effect of all of those empty yellow seats could be blinding to the Miami team. LOL... it seems that everyone in the industry is now piling on. I guess they say that there is no such thing as bad publicity. I’m not so sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT