ADVERTISEMENT

Chip Kelly to UCLA!

OMG Sekrah?
Maybe?

blindsquirrel.jpg

Could be, but the discussion on the Cal Board (which is considerable) still has him deciding between the Bruins and the Gators.

Haven't heard Sekrah since years ago. So I saw a post of him saying that Andre Robinson will be transferring after this year. Also saw him get every NFL pick incorrect today LOL

Reactions: mn78psu83
Well, UCLA made two critical points with this hire. The first was to tell California's best HS recruits that they are serious about playing in a NC game. The second was to send a Sicilian message to USC and Oregon that all roads to a PAC12 championship will go through UCLA.

Well, UCLA made two critical points with this hire. The first was to tell California's best HS recruits that they are serious about playing in a NC game. The second was to send a Sicilian message to USC and Oregon that all roads to a PAC12 championship will go through UCLA.
The third critical point the UCLA brass made to their fans was that they want to win so bad in the near term that we're willing to be on probation for the long term. I still hope he goes to Florida though. The SEC circus would get a whole lot more interesting.

Last edited:
Say what you will about Florida, but I think UCLA is the better option for Kelly. His gimmicky offense wouldn't last long in the SEC where the talent and coaching would catch on quickly (ala the NFL). The Pac 12 is perfect. He'll have 2-3 tough games per year (USC, Washington and Stanford) and will be able to routinely post 10-win seasons, which will make UCLA ecstatic. He'll also be able to recruit with his eyes closed in SoCal.

Troy Aikman was evidently large behind the scenes pushing hard for UCLA to hire Chipster....
It's really hard to know who is making decisions like this for UCLA right now. Dan Guerrero (although he is still the AD) is profoundly unpopular. I don't know if Gene Block (UCLA Chancellor) gets involved much in this kind of decision, as important as it is. My guess is that Aikman gets heard, but his opinion is hardly determinative.

The scuttlebut out here on the West Coast is that UCLA alum Casey Wasserman is the guy making the call here. Wasserman is apparently a very big donor to Bruin athletics (and perhaps UCLA generally), as a lot of reports refer to him as "UCLA's whale" (i.e., the UCLA equivalent of Oregon's Phil Knight). Guerrero reportedly wanted to let Mora finish out the regular season, but Wasserman supposedly wanted Kelly, and prevailed in getting Mora fired so they could move forward quickly with an offer to Kelly.

It's really hard to know who is making decisions like this for UCLA right now. Dan Guerrero (although he is still the AD) is profoundly unpopular. I don't know if Gene Block (UCLA Chancellor) gets involved much in this kind of decision, as important as it is. My guess is that Aikman gets heard, but his opinion is hardly determinative.

The scuttlebut out here on the West Coast is that UCLA alum Casey Wasserman is the guy making the call here. Wasserman is apparently a very big donor to Bruin athletics (and perhaps UCLA generally), as a lot of reports refer to him as "UCLA's whale" (i.e., the UCLA equivalent of Oregon's Phil Knight). Guerrero reportedly wanted to let Mora finish out the regular season, but Wasserman supposedly wanted Kelly, and prevailed in getting Mora fired so they could move forward quickly with an offer to Kelly.

Wasserman does, indeed, hold considerable influence over UCLA athletics, but has a ways$$$$$ to go before he can be compared to Knight.

Say what you will about Florida, but I think UCLA is the better option for Kelly. His gimmicky offense wouldn't last long in the SEC where the talent and coaching would catch on quickly (ala the NFL). The Pac 12 is perfect. He'll have 2-3 tough games per year (USC, Washington and Stanford) and will be able to routinely post 10-win seasons, which will make UCLA ecstatic. He'll also be able to recruit with his eyes closed in SoCal.

Are the academic entry requirements more difficult at UCLA?

ADVERTISEMENT