ADVERTISEMENT

Checking accounts- do you write many checks?

Nitt1300

Nov 2, 2008
I still write one a month, because our condo association bookkeeper is still living in 1970. Other than that, I can't remember the last time I wrote out a paper check.

Reactions: CVLion
I just ordered new checks for the first time in 20 years (not an exaggeration). That was several moves and pre-marriage. I just saw no need to keep getting new checks just because my address changed. Btw, why aren't you having your bank send out the check?

I’ve basically stopped. Recently I’d had too many checks being held up in the mail so I made the switch. I try to do the check paying process through my bank’s website so the companies don’t have my banking information.
that's smart- I should do that

I just ordered new checks for the first time in 20 years (not an exaggeration). That was several moves and pre-marriage. I just saw no need to keep getting new checks just because my address changed. Btw, why aren't you having your bank send out the check?
I'm old and never thought of that, I guess.

I haven’t written a check in years, but I carry around a scrap of paper in my wallet with a whole series of different random numbers. Two of which are my account number and routing number. I find that when I’m out and about once or twice a year I need them, and who can remember all those digits.

I still write one a month, because our condo association bookkeeper is still living in 1970. Other than that, I can't remember the last time I wrote out a paper check.
You could use web bill pay and they’ll print and mail the check for you.

Reactions: CVLion
I haven’t written a check in years, but I carry around a scrap of paper in my wallet with a whole series of different random numbers. Two of which are my account number and routing number. I find that when I’m out and about once or twice a year I need them, and who can remember all those digits.
Only one scrap of paper? I have to audit my wallet every quarter just to get rid of all the junk that piles up in the darn thing.☹️

There is a new company named Finovera. You sign in and the sign into each of your billers. They then get the Bill. No matter what email, text or home address they use to Bill you it goes into one central place. They also download the invoice so you only have to go to Finovera to get it for 12 months. They also will let you pay with any bank checking account or credit card. Finally they graph the payment and send you alerts if there is an increase beyond reason. They are also going to be releasing a subscription management feature. They’ll inform you of subscriptions ( Hulu, Spotify, Amazon, HBO, Netflix, etc) so you can go turn them off if you aren’t using them.

Luddite here. I pay nothing over the net, with a phone or anything other than checks or cash.

Reactions: jbenedict
No more than 10 per year. Some small contractors don't accept credit cards and they want paid at the time of service.

I was down to only around 2 a month as I put almost everything on a credit card and get points or cash back. But over the last year not only have the few checks I wrote taken forever to get there but I have had comcast, power co, mortgage co all take forever to post online payments and have had to have my bank help out in getting rid of late payment fines, etc.

Potomac Edison took 3 weeks to post my November payment and claimed it was late, I always auto pay it a week before its due.

I only write checks when I want a hard copy for tax purposes. I pay all of my bills via my online bill pay account, so I keep control of who, when and how much gets paid.

I probably order checks every 2 years.

Technology,the WWW, the downfall of America. Let it be written, then we won't be done. HaHa

Our credit unions have bill pay online. But we still write out a few now and again. Heating oil delivery, a local landscape supply yard, and a few other random ones. I don't think we pay any regular monthly bills by check anymore.

Literally never anymore. Like Art said maybe if I owe taxes but other than that I can't remember the last time I wrote a check. Electronic bill paying as well as Venmo has freed up my saturday mornings quite nicely where I used to have to sit there and open bills/pay bills/balance checkbook/stuff envelopes and stamps then mail... nice to have my saturday mornings back

I write maybe a check or two a month. But what I do, that doesn't really make sense, is now and then log onto my bank website and reconcile the balance and transactions on it with those in my checkbook register to make sure they match. IOW, even though that bank website is keeping track of everything, I write it down in my checkbook register too.

Depends on what you mean by checks. My bank will generate, on average, 1 check a month for semi-regular bills, like doctor bills and siruisXM fees, but I fill it on line via normal bill pay. Don't think I've written a paper check in over a year, maybe two.

Local taxes (once/year), Church (once/week), lawn guy (twice/month seasonal), various house improvement contractors as needed, medical bills not paid at point of service.

I'll bet it's been close to ten years for me. Whenever I needed one I usually used cashiers check.

I don't even recall the last time I used cash. Either Venmo, Samsung Pay, or Credit Card is all I ever use.

I use online bill pay through my bank. I do not set up automatic deduction from anyone, I just select the day I want the bill paid.

Reactions: LionJim
We frequently write checks. For instance, last week, we had a guy come and professionally power wash our house, it was either cash or a check. My tractor is being repaired right now. When it is ready, the only payment options will be cash or check. I don't understand how people can get through life without writing checks.

Reactions: bison13
I have a number of addition problems on a piece of paper, having multiple number sets, with one being my routing number. Once again proving great minds think in similar ways.
+ 890
--------

Reactions: Thomas1945
About the only checks I write anymore are for birthdays, include a check with the card.

ADVERTISEMENT