ADVERTISEMENT

Check out this NIL story

royboy

Nov 9, 2001
Lewisville, NC

NIL agent says Miami hoops star Isaiah Wong will enter transfer portal if NIL compensation isn't increased​

Wong, a two-time all-ACC player and the second-leading scorer on a Hurricanes team that reached the NCAA tournament's Elite Eight, declared for the draft earlier this week.

"Isaiah would like to stay at Miami," Papas said. "He had a great season leading his team to the Elite Eight. He has seen what incoming Miami Hurricane basketball players are getting in NIL and would like his NIL to reflect that he was a team leader of an Elite Eight team."

Florida state law doesn't permit schools to be involved in NIL deals, and according to a Miami spokesperson, due to state law, it doesn't discuss or comment on NIL-specific deals. Papas confirmed to ESPN he isn't speaking directly with the Hurricanes' coaching staff....

Papas says he recently negotiated an NIL deal for Kansas State transfer Nijel Pack that included $800,000 over two years plus a car. Pack was considered the No. 1 player in the transfer portal before committing to Miami. The deal was funded by billionaire John Ruiz, who has been at the forefront of the NIL movement, orchestrating deals across several sports. Among them are deals with women's college basketball twins Haley and Hanna Cavinder -- who transferred from Fresno State to Miami -- and UCLA football transfers Caleb Johnson and Mitchell Agude.

Ruiz has 111 deals signed or pending with Hurricanes athletes to promote his companies, LifeWallet and Cigarette Racing, according to a report in the Miami Herald on Wednesday.

"It's a unique situation just completing Nijel Pack's deal with Miami," said Papas, who also represents Miami power forward Jordan Walker and South Dakota State star Baylor Scheierman for their NIL deals. "Understanding what John Ruiz is trying to do with the NIL space and the city of Miami, we feel the value of Isaiah Wong should meet or exceed the value of an incoming transfer.

Just Pass Go nothing Mo Collect your Dough.

I declared the NCAA dead with the formation of the CFA. I refuse to watch or pay for any of it. PSU get your NIL together because no one is drafting parents and 17 year olds have visions that are easily exploited. Sell $$$$$ along with family...but today $$$$$ has got to be there..

Agree with others....college sports, as we once knew them, no longer exists. it was a nice run!

tumblr_osyceq1UWG1s1qvmko1_250.gifv

Agree with others....college sports, as we once knew them, no longer exists. it was a nice run!

tumblr_osyceq1UWG1s1qvmko1_250.gifv
It actually started in the days when Joe was fighting for academic standards. My sister applied to PSU, Harvard, Georgetown, and a few other schools. She was wait listed at Georgetown, so she chose Harvard. This was around the time Joe was arguing about minimal academic standards for college athletes.
I think the numbers were minimum 700 -750 or so SAT. John Thompson thought this was racist. My sister had mid 1400s and was Valedictorian and wasn't Georgetown material but some point guard was, even with his 550 SAT score.
It was dying then because money allowed the system tp
The fat lady is singing ::(
Sad but true. Joe tried but he was too late. He didn't see the money coming due to tv. His ideas for reforms were adapted to by those abusing the system.
They did enough to stay legal and still make more money. More money made it less likely to sanction cash cows.
And now we're here.

I don't get Mr. Wong's frustration here. The school wants to recruit a better player and because of NIL, they can offer those types of incentives to better players out in the open. Did Mr. Wong really think that NIL was a loyalty/reward thing? This isn't a year-end bonus situation; it's clearly just a recruiting tool for your eventual replacement.

Reactions: rcy4499
It actually started in the days when Joe was fighting for academic standards. My sister applied to PSU, Harvard, Georgetown, and a few other schools. She was wait listed at Georgetown, so she chose Harvard. This was around the time Joe was arguing about minimal academic standards for college athletes.
I think the numbers were minimum 700 -750 or so SAT. John Thompson thought this was racist. My sister had mid 1400s and was Valedictorian and wasn't Georgetown material but some point guard was, even with his 550 SAT score.
It was dying then because money allowed the system tp

Sad but true. Joe tried but he was too late. He didn't see the money coming due to tv. His ideas for reforms were adapted to by those abusing the system.
They did enough to stay legal and still make more money. More money made it less likely to sanction cash cows.
And now we're here.
I certainly understand this is a very difficult issue. There was a really good book, published years ago named "The Bell Curve" and it got very controversial. Basically, the authors argued that standardized testing really just tested the subject's conformance to societal standards. So if the author of the test grew up in New York, a subject from New York would score higher than someone from, say, Indiana or Wyoming. If retention of a small story was being tested and it started with "Chet it bronco breaking a stallion..." versus "Roland was window shopping on fifth avenue...." you would get different retention scores. Factor in race, religion, etc. and you can see the mess.

But I think Joe was more about universities making more of an effort to emphasize education in school than access to school. At the time, there was a ton of messaging that kids graduating for certain SEC schools were illiterate (Alabama) but high-round draft picks. That shouldn't be. If you can't get a kid to read and write, how can he graduate college? Obviously, some chicanery was practiced.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I certainly understand this is a very difficult issue. There was a really good book, published years ago named "The Bell Curve" and it got very controversial. Basically, the authors argued that standardized testing really just tested the subject's conformance to societal standards. So if the author of the test grew up in New York, a subject from New York would score higher than someone from, say, Indiana or Wyoming. If retention of a small story was being tested and it started with "Chet it bronco breaking a stallion..." versus "Roland was window shopping on fifth avenue...." you would get different retention scores. Factor in race, religion, etc. and you can see the mess.

But I think Joe was more about universities making more of an effort to emphasize education in school than access to school. At the time, there was a ton of messaging that kids graduating for certain SEC schools were illiterate (Alabama) but high-round draft picks. That shouldn't be. If you can't get a kid to read and write, how can he graduate college? Obviously, some chicanery was practiced.
My issue is we put in place a framework to make it easier to comply . The letter of the law vs the spirit or intent of the law.
And I get the university should teach the kids, but if we were honest about this the list of schools that shouldn't be letting certain poor performing students in would be some big time athletic schools .
There's probably twenty or more that are ranked academically better than psu like ND, Michigan, USC, and others.
And seriously ? Does any kid belong in Georgetown with a sub 700 SAT? I'm all for education but starting at a community college first wouldn't help John Thompson.

NIL agent says Miami hoops star Isaiah Wong will enter transfer portal if NIL compensation isn't increased​

Wong, a two-time all-ACC player and the second-leading scorer on a Hurricanes team that reached the NCAA tournament's Elite Eight, declared for the draft earlier this week.

"Isaiah would like to stay at Miami," Papas said. "He had a great season leading his team to the Elite Eight. He has seen what incoming Miami Hurricane basketball players are getting in NIL and would like his NIL to reflect that he was a team leader of an Elite Eight team."

Florida state law doesn't permit schools to be involved in NIL deals, and according to a Miami spokesperson, due to state law, it doesn't discuss or comment on NIL-specific deals. Papas confirmed to ESPN he isn't speaking directly with the Hurricanes' coaching staff....

Papas says he recently negotiated an NIL deal for Kansas State transfer Nijel Pack that included $800,000 over two years plus a car. Pack was considered the No. 1 player in the transfer portal before committing to Miami. The deal was funded by billionaire John Ruiz, who has been at the forefront of the NIL movement, orchestrating deals across several sports. Among them are deals with women's college basketball twins Haley and Hanna Cavinder -- who transferred from Fresno State to Miami -- and UCLA football transfers Caleb Johnson and Mitchell Agude.

Ruiz has 111 deals signed or pending with Hurricanes athletes to promote his companies, LifeWallet and Cigarette Racing, according to a report in the Miami Herald on Wednesday.

"It's a unique situation just completing Nijel Pack's deal with Miami," said Papas, who also represents Miami power forward Jordan Walker and South Dakota State star Baylor Scheierman for their NIL deals. "Understanding what John Ruiz is trying to do with the NIL space and the city of Miami, we feel the value of Isaiah Wong should meet or exceed the value of an incoming transfer.

Saw that in our FL paper, end of college sports, maybe kids don't leave early for the pro's because they are making more guaranteed money. What about high school kids, are they being paid? What about female athletes, surely they will have a law suit because male athletes will be paid more, because the men play in revenue generating sports.

College sports are dead and I do not care.
Not sure their dead, but a market correction is coming and it can't get here soon enough. Either we move to a college P1, full of paid NIL players, and a 2nd tier of student athletes, or major college sports dies and we move to a Pro Developmental system like soccer, with college being athletes who enter college without an expectation of being a pro athlete.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
The question is becoming, can you live without college sports without college sports. My answer is if players can be bought, yes I can live without it. It is no longer a sport but a business when a team can approach a player to go to the portal to get a better deal. Everything that lawyer's touch turns to s***

Reactions: bdgan
Jordan Addison is being purchased by Southern Cal for a million bucks....

Can a conference make it's own rules about this?
Could be hugely detrimental to the schools in the conference. No way.
Could be the difference between going to Auburn or Penn State or WVU and Iowa or Alabama or OSU. The player would not be enticed to go somewhere he is restricted when others aren't.

Last edited:
Wow, interesting group here arguing against the free market. :eek:
It isn't a true free market; in a free market there aren't barriers to employment with the NFL/NBA, etc. like the present system. Eliminate the draft restrictions and many of these NIL "issues" go away.

Reactions: LaJollaLion
It isn't a true free market; in a free market there aren't barriers to employment with the NFL/NBA, etc. like the present system. Eliminate the draft restrictions and many of these NIL "issues" go away.
And create a minor league. Of course USFL and XFL players get paid a lot less.

Fair point, but the NCAA created/ignored this mess. They did an AWFUL job of getting in front of this and you had traditionalists out there say....they get a free ship so shut up and sit down. The NCAA also turned a blind eye for pay for play for decades....DECADES. Everyone loves cheap labor when they are raking in money and the schools/NCAA/Networks were for the most part, but eventually people will see through it. Had the NCAA setup a better system possibly earlier and kept ALL of the schools on level maybe NIL doesn't exist.

NFL just sits there quietly with their free farm league and have a great setup. Other sports have levels of farm leagues, youth academies, and they seem to make it work. My post was taking a light jab at a few here....no harm intended.

My issue is we put in place a framework to make it easier to comply . The letter of the law vs the spirit or intent of the law.
And I get the university should teach the kids, but if we were honest about this the list of schools that shouldn't be letting certain poor performing students in would be some big time athletic schools .
There's probably twenty or more that are ranked academically better than psu like ND, Michigan, USC, and others.
And seriously ? Does any kid belong in Georgetown with a sub 700 SAT? I'm all for education but starting at a community college first wouldn't help John Thompson.
When I was in school I attended the PSU vs ND game in South Bend. My family had a friend who was the President of the ND QB club and my old man had been going out to games for years with a crew of buddies. It was Holtz' first year and ND was mediocre. I clearly remember getting ribbed by a bunch of Chicago "Subway alums" about how PSU had a bunch of 5th year players and how ND had "real" students who only ever used 4 years of eligibility. Shortly thereafter Holtz recruited Tony Rice who by all accounts had no business even applying and their policies changed...

Reactions: bourbon n blues
When I was in school I attended the PSU vs ND game in South Bend. My family had a friend who was the President of the ND QB club and my old man had been going out to games for years with a crew of buddies. It was Holtz' first year and ND was mediocre. I clearly remember getting ribbed by a bunch of Chicago "Subway alums" about how PSU had a bunch of 5th year players and how ND had "real" students who only ever used 4 years of eligibility. Shortly thereafter Holtz recruited Tony Rice who by all accounts had no business even applying and their policies changed...
Exactly

The premise of this sentiment is about competitive advantage. Paterno believed having older, more experienced players was an advantage so he worked towards building teams that way.
NIL isn't much different, it's a new competitive advantage. But "new" is always a problem for people. They somehow freak out because things aren't how they grew up, because get this....Things evolve.
College football is always in cycles of change from experienced teams, to scholarship limits, to BCS, to CFP, to run & shoot, to wishbone, to spread HD, to you name it. The list goes on and it will continually evolve, whether a bunch of cynical old timers like it or not. This is how life works. College football has morphed tremendously in my 40 years and it morph for my next 50 too. It's all good.
Players getting paid is a good thing. Major D1 athletes, without question, are exploited. It doesn't matter if it's willingly or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
The premise of this sentiment is about competitive advantage. Paterno believed having older, more experienced players was an advantage so he worked towards building teams that way.
NIL isn't much different, it's a new competitive advantage. But "new" is always a problem for people. They somehow freak out because things aren't how they grew up, because get this....Things evolve.
College football is always in cycles of change from experienced teams, to scholarship limits, to BCS, to CFP, to run & shoot, to wishbone, to spread HD, to you name it. The list goes on and it will continually evolve, whether a bunch of cynical old timers like it or not. This is how life works. College football has morphed tremendously in my 40 years and it morph for my next 50 too. It's all good.
Players getting paid is a good thing. Major D1 athletes, without question, are exploited. It doesn't matter if it's willingly or not.
Agreed in premise....not different than Bama "processing" kids 10 uears ago onto the injury Scholls and landing Ingram with that 28th Scholls and riding hi. to a Championship. Those who adjust earlier will win by the new rules. We process now too....10 years behind the curve. To our credit we typically get the guys on track to graduate early so at least the education side isn't a total fraud. Just not sure how I'd feel about paying theiami hoopster to play here.....but 2 time all ACC likely beats our Patriot League guys every time. We'll see.

I understand all of this but I like the college education emphasis. I paid my student loans back as did my twins. These guys get a free ride. Many obviously aren't academic material to be accepted for that without the athletic talents .
This stuff isn't the reason for me becoming a penn state fan. Joe tried to change things , and he did temporarily until all the big boys found the work around.
One fellow mentioned Lou Holtz and ND. USC, UCLA , Stanford, Michigan , and others are all more highly ranked academically than PSU. How many D1 football or basketball players could be accepted on their academics to those schools?
Joe was one of the few that ever have a damn about his player's education.

Joe was one of the few that ever have a damn about his player's education.
But if the kid doesn't care why should the coach?

I understand why everyone's mad about this but college football is a "big business". The "kids" were being used for years by all programs including Penn State. See the money this university makes off football. The players have every right to look for a way to get paid and should go to the highest bidder. Let's not pretend you can't get a decent education at most schools if you really want one.

We are seeing what the future of college football is and, whether we like it or not, Penn State will be one of the programs leading the way to destroy what people claim they want. The most profitable programs will sooner or later form their own league and the money from that tv contract will be ridiculous leading to players get paid by the school.

See Jordan Addison--he'd be a fool not to see who was going to offer him more money to stay at Pitt. And that would be true if he was at Penn State, Notre Dame, Alabama or anyone else.

But if the kid doesn't care why should the coach?

I understand why everyone's mad about this but college football is a "big business". The "kids" were being used for years by all programs including Penn State. See the money this university makes off football. The players have every right to look for a way to get paid and should go to the highest bidder. Let's not pretend you can't get a decent education at most schools if you really want one.

We are seeing what the future of college football is and, whether we like it or not, Penn State will be one of the programs leading the way to destroy what people claim they want. The most profitable programs will sooner or later form their own league and the money from that tv contract will be ridiculous leading to players get paid by the school.

See Jordan Addison--he'd be a fool not to see who was going to offer him more money to stay at Pitt. And that would be true if he was at Penn State, Notre Dame, Alabama or anyone else.
I get all the money stuff, I just don't like it. It'll survive, it I don't like the new direction.

Hot to know when to hold 'em....and when to fold 'em into your So Cal crib with a pile of green. USC is a marvelous campus and that part of town is picking itself up nicely. Should've held out for jobs for parents and siblings.....

ADVERTISEMENT