Chasing Utopian Energy: How I Wasted 20 Years of My Life

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
America needs more people to wake the F up like this guy............ I mean, he even realized that his previous policy positions simply made him feel good about himself, and actually did little to help.

Encouraging transformation.

https://www.realclearenergy.org/art..._how_i_wasted_20_years_of_my_life_839185.html

I wasted 20 years of my life chasing utopian energy.

Utopian energy is an imagined form of energy that’s abundant, reliable, inexpensive, and also clean, renewable, and life-sustaining. But utopian energy is as much a fantasy as a utopian society. Seeking the fount of perfect energy allows us to pretend there aren’t real-world tradeoffs between, say, banning fossil fuels and helping people in impoverished nations or between using solar and wind power and conserving natural habitats.

For years, I chased utopian energy. I promoted solar, wind, and energy efficiency because I felt like I was protecting the environment. But I was wrong! Feeling like you’re doing the right thing doesn’t mean you are. I just couldn’t admit it. My sense of identity was tied to my false beliefs about energy—myths that blinded me to what really does—and doesn’t—help the planet.

Creating jobs and making buildings more energy-efficient were worthy goals. But the project was an utter failure. It didn’t get anywhere close to achieving the goals that the government had set. But what was really shocking to me was how the government refused to admit the project had failed. All of its public communications about the project boasted about its effectiveness.

It’s now clear I was chasing utopian energy. I was using green energy myths as moral camouflage, and I was able to believe those myths as long as I remained ignorant about the real costs and benefits of different energy sources.

1Hammers1

Jan 26, 2014
Look at this afternoon. No wind. Zero wind. Temp in PA 90f. Great day for solar. But the sun is down and I need to charge my car. Guess I will call in sick tomarrow.

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
Imagine how good solar could be if we could develop a panel with 80% efficiency vs. ~15% now.

Never happen. Too busy teaching kids how to tuck and tape.