ADVERTISEMENT

Chappaquidick

Chickenman Testa

Jan 4, 2003
Has anyone seen it?

I thought it was pretty good, but comes a few decades late for the Kopechnes. Ed Helms is very good. You couldn’t ask for a bigger event to get your scandal out of the papers than the Moon landing.

Saw it. Thought it was well done. I didn't recall either that the moon landing happened at nearly the same time. And if the depiction of what happened is correct, it was amazing how so many were agreeable to downplay what happened, cover for him, etc.....all except his cousin.

Saw it. Thought it was well done. I didn't recall either that the moon landing happened at nearly the same time. And if the depiction of what happened is correct, it was amazing how so many were agreeable to downplay what happened, cover for him, etc.....all except his cousin.

For those who haven't heard this comment from John Dean to Nixon in the Oval Office with the
following weekend being the weekend of Chappaquiddick ....

And, perhaps, one day we'll know more about what really happened at Chappaquiddick --

For those who don't know, the Nixon White House tapes recorded a very odd comment by John Dean
to President Nixon as he was having Nixon sign some papers -- and if I recall correctly Bob
Haldemann was also present, if not others. At any rate it was something like John Dean saying
to Nixon ... "Wouldn't Ted Kennedy be surprised to know the bear trap he's walking into this
weekend." It was the weekend of Chappaquiddick.

For those who haven't heard this comment from John Dean to Nixon in the Oval Office with the
following weekend being the weekend of Chappaquiddick ....

And, perhaps, one day we'll know more about what really happened at Chappaquiddick --

For those who don't know, the Nixon White House tapes recorded a very odd comment by John Dean
to President Nixon as he was having Nixon sign some papers -- and if I recall correctly Bob
Haldemann was also present, if not others. At any rate it was something like John Dean saying
to Nixon ... "Wouldn't Ted Kennedy be surprised to know the bear trap he's walking into this
weekend." It was the weekend of Chappaquiddick.
Tricky Dick- he'd do anything to gain/keep power. It would be interesting to know if his gang of thugs was involved- but we'll never know.

I found that stuff on the internet ... since the tapes are documented... how about a direct quote of what he said...not "something like" should be easy show everybody...
BTW I love your recruiting updates

Has anyone seen it?

I thought it was pretty good, but comes a few decades late for the Kopechnes. Ed Helms is very good. You couldn’t ask for a bigger event to get your scandal out of the papers than the Moon landing.
I've seen it. Thought it was a little 'sterile '. That said the bridge I saw on MV circa 1989 was 10 x worse than the bridge in the movie.
What I didn't know was MJ was 'working' for both Bobby and now Teddy. They glossed over that many believed MJ was pregnant

Tricky Dick- he'd do anything to gain/keep power. It would be interesting to know if his gang of thugs was involved- but we'll never know.
Thugs on both sides. Nixon dreamed of being as thuggish as Joe Senior who was as awful a man that we’ve had in political life as almost anyone.

I would run into Teddy after he had long matured - his office was down the hall from my boss. Nice guy to staff. There was a creepy woman who often sat on a chair outside his main Senate office writing down the descriptions of who went in and out. Since they couldn’t kick her out of the building if she wasn’t causing trouble, the Kennedy staffers gave her a chair to sit on.

Smails - never heard that. What's your take on that comment?

If you google around, there are reports of Frank Sturgis and E. Howard Hunt being at Martha’s Vineyard at the time for a Regatta. What do you think?

I hope they didn't show any "waitress sandwiches" w/ Chris Dodd.

Teddy is worm food and isn't here to defend himself. I would like to know what exactly happened to Chandra Levy and Lori Klausutis though. Scarborough, Condit, and Kasich are still around.

Thugs on both sides. Nixon dreamed of being as thuggish as Joe Senior who was as awful a man that we’ve had in political life as almost anyone.

I would run into Teddy after he had long matured - his office was down the hall from my boss. Nice guy to staff. There was a creepy woman who often sat on a chair outside his main Senate office writing down the descriptions of who went in and out. Since they couldn’t kick her out of the building if she wasn’t causing trouble, the Kennedy staffers gave her a chair to sit on.
they were both scum, no doubt

I'd rate Nixon's sabotaging of the Johnson administrations peace talks with North Vietnam as treason, though- while Joe was pretty much a common criminal (a very successful one I admit)

Reactions: JoeFi
If you google around, there are reports of Frank Sturgis and E. Howard Hunt being at Martha’s Vineyard at the time for a Regatta. What do you think?
Lots of kooky pro and anti-Kennedy sites contain a lot of crazy tales. Many trying to absolve Teddy of blame.

Teddy, like many in that family (and other dynastic family’s like the Bushes) was an irresponsible ****up saved by his money and connections time after time. Sometimes it catches up to them.

I haven't and probably won't see it. One thing I've learned is that these type of movies are largely works of fiction. See HBO.

Reactions: Obliviax
they were both scum, no doubt

I'd rate Nixon's sabotaging of the Johnson administrations peace talks with North Vietnam as treason, though- while Joe was pretty much a common criminal (a very successful one I admit)
Agree on the Peace Talks issue. That made me furious while watching the Vietnam doc.

Joe was a nasty piece of work

Reactions: nits74 and Nitt1300
I haven't and probably won't see it. One thing I've learned is that these type of movies are largely works of fiction. See HBO.

Yeah I don’t understand what anyone gets out of watching these, whether you agree or disagree politically or whatever. Just a pathetic form of confirmation bias.

Reactions: nits74
I don't know.. This stuff did happen. Ted Kennedy killed someone, waited a ton of time before he reported it. The only thing I could see people arguing about would be if the movie tried to spin it one way or another why he waited.

I've seen it. Thought it was a little 'sterile '. That said the bridge I saw on MV circa 1989 was 10 x worse than the bridge in the movie.
What I didn't know was MJ was 'working' for both Bobby and now Teddy. They glossed over that many believed MJ was pregnant
"Teddy, I'm pregnant"
"Ah, er, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, Mary Jo"

Has anyone seen it?

Kopechne was from Wilkes Barre.

Yeah I don’t understand what anyone gets out of watching these, whether you agree or disagree politically or whatever. Just a pathetic form of confirmation bias.

I agree. If you want to learn about it just read about it. I don't understand watching re-enactments of events that have already happened. And plus, due to the nature of movies and how to make them interesting, I wouldn't put any form of twisting of what happened past the movie maker.

Just read about it. And plus there are many different accounts so you won't get just one or two sides, unlike with movies since they never make as many movies about something as they do books, articles, magazines, etc.

One thing I have read about it (and I have no idea whether the movie depicts this because I haven't watched the movie) is that the phrase "the Kennedy curse" was coined by Ted Kennedy in the aftermath of Chappaquiddick in an attempt to negate all the negatives of it. Calling it "the Kennedy curse" subtly converts the event from active (something Ted did) to passive (something that happened to Ted), as well as bringing to mind the assassinations of his brothers and thus invoking sympathy.

I don't know.. This stuff did happen. Ted Kennedy killed someone, waited a ton of time before he reported it. The only thing I could see people arguing about would be if the movie tried to spin it one way or another why he waited.
No, the movie did a good job (I thought) not getting into/staying agnostic whether he was drunk or if he was having an affair... they let the viewer fill in those blanks for themselves... I would bet the farm he was $hitplowed... and that's the reason he waited 9 hrs to report anything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT