ADVERTISEMENT

Chances Lamar Stevens and Watkins return?

IMO, given Watkins issues this year, it may behoove him to return. I feel he is still working through his emotions and, I could be wrong, but when I watch him it appears he may be experiencing some medication side effects. Hope all goes well for him. Serious mental health issues are difficult to manage.

I doubt if either will be back but I hope they are. Watkins always seems in foul trouble. He’s talented but still needs to learn the game. Stevens has a shot at the NBA or a Euro professional league, so I think he will leave for the money.

IMO, given Watkins issues this year, it may behoove him to return. I feel he is still working through his emotions and, I could be wrong, but when I watch him it appears he may be experiencing some medication side effects. Hope all goes well for him. Serious mental health issues are difficult to manage.

I agree wholeheartedly, especially after Adam Silver's response earlier this month. If Mike is not ready to cope on his own, he should stick around. I think he'd get much more - and better - support at PSU than he would from an NBA team.

SILVER

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I doubt if either will be back but I hope they are. Watkins always seems in foul trouble. He’s talented but still needs to learn the game. Stevens has a shot at the NBA or a Euro professional league, so I think he will leave for the money.

Stevens has no shot at being drafted by the NBA.

Reactions: bdgan and psuguy43
Where in the world is Lamar going that you doubt he'll return? You don't see US-born players leave before earning a degree to play overseas too often, do you? Carr did, but it was not his intention. No way does Lamar get drafted right now, especially in the first round

The only thing about Watkins is that he has publicly recognized Penn State and the support system as saving his life. If true, maybe he comes back to continue building on his stability.

He made some posts on social media alluding to this being his last year. Of course, those were at the beginning of the year and I think he felt his performance would have been better. I think it would serve him better to return from a basketball and personal standpoint, but making $100,000ish in Europe is likely more appealing.

No inside info, but based on reporting of both over the years, I’d say Stevens 95% to return and Watkins 5%.

Sounds about right.

if Watkins leaves, I just hope he moves onto an environment as structured as he'd have it at PSU. Or else he sure risks being a statistic.

Reactions: Maca54
He made some posts on social media alluding to this being his last year. Of course, those were at the beginning of the year and I think he felt his performance would have been better. I think it would serve him better to return from a basketball and personal standpoint, but making $100,000ish in Europe is likely more appealing.
Especially given his roots and family's finances.

If both stay, we over signed, so someone has to transfer. I'm guessing it would be one of the young guards... We have too many. Maybe Kasatkin or possibly Jones? Another player who has seen reduced PT and comparable guys coming in is Buttrick.

If both stay, we over signed, so someone has to transfer. I'm guessing it would be one of the young guards... We have too many. Maybe Kasatkin or possibly Jones? Another player who has seen reduced PT and comparable guys coming in is Buttrick.
Mike gone, Lamar stays

Valid point! If Mikes stays, one person has to leave. Chambers has been under the assumption Mike is gone. So if he changes his mind, my guess would be Buttrick who has been here for two years and shows no signs of being able to get minutes. At the end of the day, comes down to who can you convince to leave or who would prefer to actually play than ride the bench. Jones struggled shooting, at times, but is a B1G quality player whereas Buttrick and Kasatkin are not. It’s rare for an off-season to go by without at least one underclassmen move on. So, I would love for Mike to stay and this actually be a problem they need to solve.

Reactions: Achowalogan
Anyone heard anything?
Neither of them have a shot at the NBA. Stevens has the athleticism but he isn't big enough to score inside and his perimeter shot isn't nearly good enough. Watkins isn't close.

Both of them can make a decent living in Europe for a few years. I think a degree would be helpful to both but they'll leave if they're desperate for money and/or they're not interested in the school part.

PSU won't have any inside scoring or rebounding if both of them leave.

Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
Neither of them have a shot at the NBA. Stevens has the athleticism but he isn't big enough to score inside and his perimeter shot isn't nearly good enough. Watkins isn't close.

Both of them can make a decent living in Europe for a few years. I think a degree would be helpful to both but they'll leave if they're desperate for money and/or they're not interested in the school part.

PSU won't have any inside scoring or rebounding if both of them leave.

They are both probably going to come back. This whole conversation is ridiculous

We have had one player leave early to play pro. Ever. And these guys saw that it was a dumb decision.

It would be interesting to hear what Carr would say to Stevens.

Carr probably has a very strong ego and believes he will end up in the NBA

But, nobody leaves college early for the NBA, and then is glad to end up playing in Italy

Somebody told him he was getting drafted in the 1st round. That was never reality.

Nobody would tell Stevens that he'll be drafted in any round, so he is very unlikely to leave early.

Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
Those social media posts were very cryptic, if I recall. Could be interpreted diff ways. Never said, this is my last year, gotta make it a good one, or similar.

Reactions: Maca54
Basically similar situation as Mike. He was 23 and ready to start making $.

It wasn't the same situation. He had played pro in Germany even before he came to PSU and went back to play pro again.

He came to a U.S. college thinking he would become the next Dirk Nowitzki. When it was clear that wasn't happening, and he was playing for a new coach, he went back to Germany.

It wasn't the same situation. He had played pro in Germany even before he came to PSU and went back to play pro again.

He came to a U.S. college thinking he would become the next Dirk Nowitzki. When it was clear that wasn't happening, and he was playing for a new coach, he went back to Germany.

And I'm sure Mike came here with NBA dreams as well. The only reason Jagla played for a pro team before he left Germany is because that's how it's structured over there.

Read his quotes. You don't think these same things could apply to Mike's decision this month?

"This was a very hard decision to make because I love Penn State and I love playing basketball here," Jagla said. "But I'm 23 now and I feel like it is time to take advantage of the opportunity to play professionally here or back in Europe. I'm very grateful for all the opportunities I've had here and for Coach DeChellis' support of my decision."

"We're very excited for Jan," head coach Ed DeChellis said. "While we will miss him on the court, we're excited for his opportunity to play professionally and this chance to help himself and his family out financially."

https://gopsusports.com/news/2004/3...ummers_Returning_to_Columbus.aspx?path=mbball

And I'm sure Mike came here with NBA dreams as well. The only reason Jagla played for a pro team before he left Germany is because that's how it's structured over there.

Read his quotes. You don't think these same things could apply to Mike's decision this month?

"This was a very hard decision to make because I love Penn State and I love playing basketball here," Jagla said. "But I'm 23 now and I feel like it is time to take advantage of the opportunity to play professionally here or back in Europe. I'm very grateful for all the opportunities I've had here and for Coach DeChellis' support of my decision."

"We're very excited for Jan," head coach Ed DeChellis said. "While we will miss him on the court, we're excited for his opportunity to play professionally and this chance to help himself and his family out financially."

https://gopsusports.com/news/2004/3...ummers_Returning_to_Columbus.aspx?path=mbball

Yeah, it's a little bit similar in the sense that they are the same age.

But it always seemed like Jan's long-term plan was to go back to Germany unless he became an NBA star.

It eventually became very clear that he wasn't going to the NBA. I was surprised he didn't leave earlier

Yeah, it's a little bit similar in the sense that they are the same age.

But it always seemed like Jan's long-term plan was to go back to Germany unless he became an NBA star.

It eventually became very clear that he wasn't going to the NBA. I was surprised he didn't leave earlier
In what way? I mean, couldn't we say that pretty much every high level player will go to Europe if they don't become an NBA star? Jagla even spent most of his career in leagues outside of Germany. Seems like the most important thing was making $ playing basketball wherever he was at a given time.

In what way? I mean, couldn't we say that pretty much every high level player will go to Europe if they don't become an NBA star? Jagla even spent most of his career in leagues outside of Germany. Seems like the most important thing was making $ playing basketball wherever he was at a given time.

Jagla grew up in Germany and played one year of U.S. HS basketball before PSU. Then he moved back to Europe. He played for the German Olympic team in 2008. He had no intention of having a life in the United States unless it was in the NBA. That's why it's not similar.

Watkins is going to have to be able to play more than 10-15 minutes a game without gassing. Limited range, even for a post player. Still raw even after his time at PSU so far.

Watkins is going to have to be able to play more than 10-15 minutes a game without gassing. Limited range, even for a post player. Still raw even after his time at PSU so far.
Watkins is a five, all day long, and not a stretch four. He doesn’t need to get more range, and I think his fitness is fine. He does need to learn how to stay out of foul trouble and get his mental health dialed in more. These are reasons why he MIGHT come back.

Basically similar situation as Mike. He was 23 and ready to start making $.
Nope. Jagla was from overseas. BIG difference. Euros rarely stay for their full eligibility (realize that our 3 Euros since then all left early as well).

Kind of ironic that that was his role on the German National team. He was Nowitzke's backup.

Nope. Jagla was from overseas. BIG difference. Euros rarely stay for their full eligibility (realize that our 3 Euros since then all left early as well).

in this era if you are going to be successful in MCBB, you need to expect a good portion of the team will be turning over 2-3 years after they get on campus. that means you need to have a portion of every class that can play effectively as FR. CBB players seem to see degrees as not that important. I think Tony Carr said it best when he pointed out he can always finish a degree later if he wants it, but BB $$$$ may not be there forever.

It would be interesting to get Tony Carr’s opinion on these two individuals, especially since his situation didn’t work out optimally speaking. I’m sure TC and Lamar and Mike have had some discussions over this past year. TC and Lamar were close friends before they came to Penn State. It’s probably safe to say, that there has probably been some conversations on this matter. I still say they both come back. I’m sure Pat Chambers has been in conference with these two already, and is trying to have them both back for their last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT