ADVERTISEMENT

Chambers ....

dawgduice

Jun 2, 2006
has REALLY impressed me with his ability to keep his team together. They are not quitters, nor do they fell sorry for themselves. I REALLY believe next year and the year after this team will be truly competitive and win a lot of games. We shall see.
It will be great opportunity for a number of "talented" true freshmen to play.

Originally posted by dawgduice:
has REALLY impressed me with his ability to keep his team together. They are not quitters, nor do they fell sorry for themselves. I REALLY believe next year and the year after this team will be truly competitive and win a lot of games. We shall see.
It will be great opportunity for a number of "talented" true freshmen to play.
Going to be hard without Newbill.

The players love him

I think they'd go through fire for Pat Chambers. Guy is a quality human being. Watch some of the BTN stuff on Newbill. Front page of PennStateHoops...If I had a kid playing basketball at D1 level I'd want Pat as his coach, no questions asked.

Next year might be tough. But, I can't argue with you on the effort. How many wins that translates into remains to be seen.

Chambers is the perfect fit for PSU...

and for anyone being too critical of him, I would really go back and do some homework on exactly how depleted this roster was the day he signed his contract. DeChellis left him nothing. To boot, the other component that he had to battle with is establishing - not maintaining or building on - but establishing some foundation to even build a program on. This stuff doesn't happen overnight.

He deserves and has earned 4-5 more years IMO. Sure it's frustrating to see them lose the way they had in conference play. They were in most of those games though competing - not getting blown out of the gym.

I just don't know what the critics think they're going to realistically get if for some reason we didn't have Chambers. At the time he was the best option for Penn State and right now we are incredibly lucky to have someone with this level of entusiasm and determination running the program. We simply have not had that for decades - not under Dunn, and certainly not under DeChellis. This is CHambers' program.

dawg, this is not meant at you, but Chambers is NO BETTER.....

a coach right now than he was a month ago. Chambers is very energetic guy, and a quality coach, and I am glad he is at PSU. With our fan attendance, and our lack of history, I don't know that we could do better than Pat.

The fact is the kids are playing a much higher level of basketball right now than they did earlier. The minutes have been re-distributed a bit which is a good job by Chambers, but the kids are playing much better defense and are shooting better from 3 point range and opening up the offense a bit. Some of that may be coaching, but a lot of it is that these kids are stepping up and playing much better basketball right now.

Again, I am not saying Chambers has not done a great job in the tournament, but I don't think he all of a sudden read a book and learned how to coach.

Same thing with Franklin in football. After we lose a few games, he all of a sudden is a good recruiter but not game-day coach. Then we win a bowl game and all of a sudden he is a good game-day coach too.

It is just kind of funny to watch how we react and over-react to things.

If we lose today by a bunch, I don't think Pat will be any worse of a coach than he was yesterday - although I truly hope we win big.

How do (WE) sell that msg to recruits ?????????????????????

It is very difficult when you play in an arena that is too big....

for your fan support, and doesn't have a good basketball feel. I say this all the time that in basketball we face a similar challenge as Pitt does in football. Unless there is a big-time game, the recruits will see many more open seats than filled. Just like Beaver stadium will impress kids, the BJC - to me - is a difficult sell. If we can just get to the point that we are winning some big games that we shouldn't, and can hold serve against teams we should beat, then I believe we can have winning seasons. We just can't afford to lose ugly games because that probably puts questions in the minds of the higher-end recruits. If we win, then it is up to the students/fans to try and fill the seats. (which I wouldn't hold my breath for as we have some other very elite teams (volleyball, wrestling, etc) that gives folks other options as well.

the team will be horrible nwxt yr

What possibly Congress you the belief that they will be competitive?

Maybe not

Although Newbill is outstanding, hopefully the scoring can be spread around. It's just not great basketball watching 4 guys standing around while one person maneuvers for a shot.

The only thing I will say is, we have seen this before

When Talor Battle left, he was scoring as much as Newbill. Frazier averaged like 2 points a game and looked like he couldn't shoot. The next year he is averaging >15 pts a game. Then we lose him to injury and Newbill chips in. I expect Garner to be much improved in the scoring department next year. We need Dickerson, Moore, and others to chip in a little more. It will be a differnet offense than 4 guys stand around and let Newbill create. As another poster pointed out we need to hold serve next year so recruiting momentum is not lost. If we totally collapse, it will be tough to get back.

+1000

I don't understand the call to constantly change coaches. NO great coach is coming to Pennstate - never. Stick with this good man and live or die with him. If we change we die no matter who it is and then start all over again. STOP the cycle and stick with a quality guy and good coach who can lead his kids.

Re: the team will be horrible nwxt yr

Originally posted by PaoliLion:
What possibly Congress you the belief that they will be competitive?
Pretty simple really. The talent level keeps improving. Sure Newbill is leaving, but others will fill that void. Just like Frazier did when Battle left. Just like Newbill did when Frazier went down. It's hardly the end of the world.

Overall, the talent keeps improving, and the guys coming in next year, while young, are very talented. Will be exciting to watch them develop.

Re: +1000

Constantly changing coaches? We had two coaches in 16 years with a combined record of 231-259 and Pat for the past four years and a record of 54-74. That's being pretty patient with no results. Hell, at least DeChellis was Big coach of the year once.

Guard from Pittsburgh is starting to score and inside game will continue to

Improve. Dickerson is improving, the redshit fr big man is getting some minutes, Taylor is back,......

10 years after, and you know this how! world was going to end when Battle left; it has not. world was over when Frazier left; it has not. I am sure Shep, Geno, Isiah, et al will step-up.

Say what you want but

his Why Not Us? yesterday is coaching brilliance.

Personally, think he is the perfect coach for where we are right now. Graduate players, play hard, never quit. As the success comes, so will the players.

ADVERTISEMENT