ADVERTISEMENT

Chambers contract extension coming...

It will be interesting to see how long the extension is.

The question from here on is what expectations are now placed on Chambers and the team? How often do they need to get to the postseason? Are repetitive NIT appearances acceptable or does it need to be the NCAA tourney?

Reactions: Westcoast24
Not unexpected. The hot seat this year was removed with the NIT championship. It will be interesting to see how long the extension is.

The question from here on is what expectations are now placed on Chambers and the team? How often do they need to get to the postseason? Are repetitive NIT appearances acceptable or does it need to be the NCAA tourney?
Sandy claimed in the presser that she had made up her mind before the NIT.

It will be interesting to see how long the extension is.

I'd be interested to know what his comp is, but I doubt we find out.

Expectations should be to:

1. make the NCAA tourney on a regular basis;

2. finish in the top half of the Big Ten more often than not;

3. make a run at a conference championship every so often.

Those are the minimum , by the way.

Those are reasonable expectations. Only quibble is, top half of B1G more often than not, NCAA Tournament with the same frequency. More often than not.

Although I did blast him in Dec-Jan, Pat did a very good job and deserves an extension. At the same time, the price of poker just went up.

Those are reasonable expectations. Only quibble is, top half of B1G more often than not, NCAA Tournament with the same frequency. More often than not.

Although I did blast him in Dec-Jan, Pat did a very good job and deserves an extension. At the same time, the price of poker just went up.

Wherein lies the problem, the notion that because PSU has never been good we should never expect much more. Understandable for a fan. If the AD believes the same thing the AD should be gone.

Speaking of gone, why is Coquese still here?

Final RPI was 47.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncb/rpi/

Without Carr to carry the offense, I don't see this team improving. Hard to criticize the extension, and Chambers seems to have decent guards coming in, but I'm not optimistic that Chambers will be able to make PSU a consistent NCAA team.

Wherein lies the problem, the notion that because PSU has never been good we should never expect much more. Understandable for a fan. If the AD believes the same thing the AD should be gone.

Speaking of gone, why is Coquese still here?

Sandy's got this. Give early, often, and in large sums.

:eek:

Expected, however, after we struggle to make the NIT next year, this will be a bad decision. Imho.

They've got two four star recruits coming in. If they land a halfway decent grad transfer, they will be in just fine shape.

Expected, however, after we struggle to make the NIT next year, this will be a bad decision. Imho.
Talk about negative. We have two 4* guards coming in, and are in with the top of the GT market. Get Cremo and Finke and we have a roster that can compete in the upper quarter of the B10 next year. You do realize that we had 5 starters averaging double figures last year, right? It wasn't just the TC or Shep show.

Reactions: NC2017
This had to happen and is standard in the biz. In order to appease recruits your coach needs to appear on solid ground. There are many instances where coach is extended and then canned during or at end of that year. It is what it is. That being said I think he is the right man for the job given the circumstances and support and hope success follows. It was fun watching the team this year and with the recruits and possible transfers coming in, good things may continue.

BTW, they actually finished 30th in AP Poll. We all know March Madness doesn't pick the top 64 teams.

25 Wichita State 25-8 83
  • Others receiving votes: Syracuse 79, Arizona 71, Rhode Island 64, Florida 40, Penn State 19, Butler 10, Buffalo 8, Seton Hall 6, Saint Mary's 6, UMBC 6, Utah 4, Miami 3, Providence 3, Creighton 2

Reactions: Nitwit

To paraphrase Meatloaf, two out of three wouldn't be too bad...however, I doubt even one of those will be made, once, in the next three years, assuming Chambers lasts that long. I'm not sure how one defines "run at a conference championship" but I would say either a) finish in the top three of the conference in the regular season or b) attain semifinals in the B1G tourney.

Reactions: Bob78
To paraphrase Meatloaf, two out of three wouldn't be too bad...however, I doubt even one of those will be made, once, in the next three years, assuming Chambers lasts that long. I'm not sure how one defines "run at a conference championship" but I would say either a) finish in the top three of the conference in the regular season or b) attain semifinals in the B1G tourney.
Didn't we attain the semi-finals this year, without our game-changing big man??? We are also bringing in 2 4* recruits (so far) this coming year. Yet, you do not see us attaining any of those things within the next 3 years?

Ok

Your definition is as good as any.

As a criterion I would also add regular appearance in the Top 25. What it all adds up to is sustained good performance, not flirting with it every five years or so.

[QUOTE="Art, post: 3425054, member:
Speaking of gone, why is Coquese still here?[/QUOTE]

Please tell me you ask as a joke

I really can't believe anyone thinks we're better without Garner and Carr next year.
Better? I don't know about that. However, we ended last season playing like a top 20 team.... without our prolific big man. Add in 2 4* frosh, and possibly 1 or 2 impact GT's, and even if we are just as good as we finished this year, to start next year (with more depth), would still put us as a top 25 team and easily in the dance.

We didn't finish this season playing like an NIT team. We could dance next year, even if we aren't quite as good as the team that ended this season. However, we need to be that team for more than just the end of the season.

Better? I don't know about that. However, we ended last season playing like a top 20 team.... without our prolific big man. Add in 2 4* frosh, and possibly 1 or 2 impact GT's, and even if we are just as good as we finished this year, to start next year (with more depth), would still put us as a top 25 team and easily in the dance.

We didn't finish this season playing like an NIT team. We could dance next year, even if we aren't quite as good as the team that ended this season. However, we need to be that team for more than just the end of the season.

Okay, I can respect that perspective. Don't necessarily agree with all of it but I get where you're coming from

Why would Art’s question be a “joke”? Based on her woeful coaching record, she should be terminated.

I’m trying to understand, from your post, why Coquisse should still be a coach at PSU.

Wow... too much chlorine ugh pool boy? I'm not going to post why I think she keeps her job.

She blows donkey balls and will keep her. Why do you think she stays?

You never know what these extensions really mean. It may nominally be for a certain number of years, but the real key is what are the terms for PSU to buy out of it? My guess is that Chambers cannot take a big step back next year or it will be his last year.

Wow... too much chlorine ugh pool boy? I'm not going to post why I think she keeps her job.

She blows donkey balls and will keep her. Why do you think she stays?

Good reason for her to stay is that she is under contract through the 2018-19 season. No reason to pay two coaches.

You never know what these extensions really mean. It may nominally be for a certain number of years, but the real key is what are the terms for PSU to buy out of it? My guess is that Chambers cannot take a big step back next year or it will be his last year.

The buyout will be standard: base salary times number of years remaining on the (new) contract. Both Barbour and Chambers (his agent) would be absolutely stupid to do otherwise.

Chambers was, is, and will be the right guy.

I’ll believe it when I see it. Expectations are reasonable if the admin elevates the financial commitment and not be comfortable being at the bottom of the conference in investing in BB.

You get what you pay for and the staff needs more $$$, recruiting needs more $$$. The BJC needs fixed. Their facilities need further upgrades and improvements.

It’s an arms race in major college sports. It’s a brand game for the major schools. Penn State has a chance to be the “Stanford” of the east athletically. They need a good basketball program. Not the mediocrity, often times embarrassing, efforts that have been seen for the last 50 years. Currently, the NIT seems to be the best way to describe the commitment.

Great for Chambers that he got his contract extension before Watkins got in trouble AGAIN....

All the guard talent that Chambers is bringing in will pay dividends, but how will he form a front line that can win in the B10 if he has to suspend Watkins???

Great for Chambers that he got his contract extension before Watkins got in trouble AGAIN....

All the guard talent that Chambers is bringing in will pay dividends, but how will he form a front line that can win in the B10 if he has to suspend Watkins???
Posession of weed, a misdemeanor in UP but only a summary offense in State College. These athletes need to live off campus... Naz and now Mike

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT