ADVERTISEMENT

CFB players demand revenue sharing from B1G

heckmans

Feb 13, 2006
....and look to become even closer to a professional minor league, which fewer and fewer people will care about, because, well, no one cares about the minors. On top of the NCAA announcing unlimited free agency...err, I mean transfers, my only question is how long CFB lasts as a major cultural center.

Sean Clifford engaged in the process and quoted.

This to me is and ether or situation. Ether you go with NIL or you go with TV revenue. If you want money for TV rights than your ass belongs to the network. Make them all sign contracts giving Big Ten work all “likeness” control. This would be the best way to save college football and eliminate NIL.

As someone who drives up for a game, or at least looks into driving up for a game every year, there is NO WAY I'm going to a game this year.

Reactions: blmr31 and scbob
This to me is and ether or situation. Ether you go with NIL or you go with TV revenue. If you want money for TV rights than your ass belongs to the network. Make them all sign contracts giving Big Ten work all “likeness” control. This would be the best way to save college football and eliminate NIL.
Could be a good thing to do as it will level the playing field. Fees go to conference and then divided up to schools evenly, sorta like tv rights. NIL, as it stands now, gives unfair advantage to the big boys.

Reactions: tlbakernc
....and look to become even closer to a professional minor league, which fewer and fewer people will care about, because, well, no one cares about the minors. On top of the NCAA announcing unlimited free agency...err, I mean transfers, my only question is how long CFB lasts as a major cultural center.

At one point yesterday there was an even more sensational headline suggesting that the Penn State players led by Clifford were in the forefront of a move toward unionization. However, the story was later retracted after something called the "College Football Players Association" clarified that no union exists (yet).

Meanwhile, Clifford himself emphasized that his efforts were not connected with unionization though he did admit that the aforementioned Association had been in contact with him and other Penn State players. In fact, according to the CBS report linked in the OP, this organization "secretly" met with Penn State players on campus during the second week of July.

This is all well and fine -- or maybe not -- but personally I wish Sean and the guys would concentrate on football and Purdue. I mean, you could be forgiven for thinking that "secret meetings" with a new "players association" might be a bit of a distraction.

I mean Clifford is 40 and need to support his wife and kids...LOL

You all miss the point.

college football is a free for all today because the ncaa lost its legal battles and there is no player organization to negotiate with to create an agreement. Any restrictions the ncaa comes up with will be challenged in court. They can be ruled arbitrary and struck down. Professional leagues get around this by negotiating and jointly agreeing to a collective bargaining agreement. With no player organization, no collective bargaining agreement or CBA.

a CBA is the only hope of adding structure and fairness into the process. It won’t be singularity driven by high profile QBs and WRs. The notion of alignment between players, coaches and schools for the greater good will be the possible, even likely.

the nfl, nba, mlb and nhl all have different CBAs based on history, sport, roster makeup, and revenue models. College football needs to craft their own. I love that SC is at the forefront of this (but wish he could play better)

You all miss the point.

college football is a free for all today because the ncaa lost its legal battles and there is no player organization to negotiate with to create an agreement. Any restrictions the ncaa comes up with will be challenged in court. They can be ruled arbitrary and struck down. Professional leagues get around this by negotiating and jointly agreeing to a collective bargaining agreement. With no player organization, no collective bargaining agreement or CBA.

a CBA is the only hope of adding structure and fairness into the process. It won’t be singularity driven by high profile QBs and WRs. The notion of alignment between players, coaches and schools for the greater good will be the possible, even likely.

the nfl, nba, mlb and nhl all have different CBAs based on history, sport, roster makeup, and revenue models. College football needs to craft their own. I love that SC is at the forefront of this (but wish he could play better)

Obli, there are dozens of angles to the issue...and various pros and cons connected with each angle. Personally, I'm sort of conflicted on it and would need to see a concrete plan on the table before forming an opinion. In fact, I didn't take a position on the merits of the question in my above post.

That said, football is a demanding game. Focus is crucial. Distractions are a minus. Therefore, from the selfish perspective of a Penn State fan, I'd rather that the Ohio State QB and team take the lead on this and have "secret meetings" with organizers.

I mean, let's face it: Sean didn't set the world on fire with his performance on the field last year. I thought he was coming back for yet another year to play football...not crusade for reform.

Good for the players. We have a coach making $10m to win 6 games a year and a QB making about 50k to put his health on the line every week.

To me the big question is why the colleges were allowed to do this in the first place. It is totally outside their mission as a nfp.

But here we are. The football minor leaguers are demanding more pay. Similar to the baseball minor leagues.

LdN

You all miss the point.

Everything you say sounds logical and makes sense but doesn't it also reinforce the notion that you are creating a minor league football league? [Your examples are all professional sports leagues.], Maybe we change their names to the St College Steagles, or the Tuscaloosa Elephants?

Reactions: tlbakernc
Everything you say sounds logical and makes sense but doesn't it also reinforce the notion that you are creating a minor league football league? [Your examples are all professional sports leagues.], Maybe we change their names to the St College Steagles, or the Tuscaloosa Elephants?
Yes. But that ship has sailed

When wasn't college football a minor league football league? It was just a minor league where players were being used by schools.

Good for the players. We have a coach making $10m to win 6 games a year and a QB making about 50k to put his health on the line every week.
High school players put their health on the line for free and most can only dream about being able to do that on TV in front of 100,000 fans.

College players get an education worth $250k, free clothing, free food, free tutoring, first class facilities, first class travel, and $50k+ cash. I don't feel sorry for them.

Question for the group. Who gets more money a 5* going to Texas A&M or USFL players. I have a feeling USFL can’t compete with paying the top QB, WR, OT, DE, or DT.

Question for the group. Who gets more money a 5* going to Texas A&M or USFL players. I have a feeling USFL can’t compete with paying the top QB, WR, OT, DE, or DT.
USFL players only get about $50k.

High school players put their health on the line for free and most can only dream about being able to do that on TV in front of 100,000 fans.

College players get an education worth $250k, free clothing, free food, free tutoring, first class facilities, first class travel, and $50k+ cash. I don't feel sorry for them.
You don't have to feel sorry for them but the reality is that college football makes a ton of money and they have a right to request to be paid. The scholarship means nothing especially if student loans don't need to be paid back

You don't have to feel sorry for them but the reality is that college football makes a ton of money and they have a right to request to be paid. The scholarship means nothing especially if student loans don't need to be paid back
The value they receive is already more than USFL players get paid but that's not the point. I just think college sports should be played by college students.

They do not. They receive 100k worth of benifits. They deserve nothing more. It is time to go to a non-scholarship model.

Reactions: BUFFALO LION
The value they receive is already more than USFL players get paid but that's not the point. I just think college sports should be played by college students.
Do more people watch them or the USFL? What USFL team brings in 100k+ per game?

College sports have been big business for decades. I'm fine with you people being sad about it but I mean how long has it been trending this way? This should have happened 40-50 years ago in all honesty.

Who said I feel sorry for them?

My point is that if we can pay .500 coaches $10m we can pay players more than 100k in benefits. (Annually)

Nothing about being sorry there. These coaches are profiting on the system. Players can too.

LdN

College sports have been big business for decades. I'm fine with you people being sad about it but I mean how long has it been trending this way? This should have happened 40-50 years ago in all honesty.
So much for the grand experiment.

I think arguing about how much they get paid isn't the correct argument. To me the argument is why do we pay to see them play and why do we cheer for them? We cheer for them because they REPRESENT our university not who they are.
If magically tomorrow the top 50 teams said we are forming our own league, we are not requiring any education and will completely disassociate with the University. What happens to attendance and TV revenue? IMO it drops off a cliff.
By that measure who is bringing value to the equation? IMO it is the University that brings the value not the 85 guys on the team and it is those universities who are getting paid.

College football hasn't been played by college students since the 1970s.

LdN
Which doesn't mean they shouldn't have been getting paid money in addition to the scholarship. Let's not pretend they don't add more than say the gymnastics, soccer or fencing teams.

I think arguing about how much they get paid isn't the correct argument. To me the argument is why do we pay to see them play and why do we cheer for them? We cheer for them because they REPRESENT our university not who they are.
If magically tomorrow the top 50 teams said we are forming our own league, we are not requiring any education and will completely disassociate with the University. What happens to attendance and TV revenue? IMO it drops off a cliff.
By that measure who is bringing value to the equation? IMO it is the University that brings the value not the 85 guys on the team and it is those universities who are getting paid.
I don't think it drops off at all--I think it skyrockets. You really don't see the appeal of a 48+ team league with a 16 team playoff? No games against the MAC or FBS. Playing great quality games every week. It's infinitely better. And, yes, they're still Penn State so post people that went to Penn State will still root for them. Why does them getting paid change that? Has Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, A&M, etc lost fans over paying them?

This isn't the 70s. I don't have any interest in Penn State playing weak OOC games so the school gets many for having an extra home game. Play the best weekly.

College football isn't at the same level as pro football but the fan excitement is similar. That's because fans have a special allegiance to their university.

Sure--they can see how many people come to see them and what networks will pay for their broadcasting rights and they can get a percentage. Absolutely on board. They can enjoy that $1.50.
You're correct, but that's part of the show too.

Reactions: therod
ADVERTISEMENT