ADVERTISEMENT

Centre Region Council of Governments (COG) calls for mandatory vaccination of PSU students; barren responds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have a link to the letter the COG sent to Barron?
August 19, 2021
Dear President Barron,
On behalf of the entire General Forum, the Centre Region Council of Governments congratulates
Penn State University on implementing extensive masking requirements on campus, however, it
should be emphasized that there is concern regarding unvaccinated students visiting our
communities to shop, eat and socialize. In doing so, students will interact with residents of the
Centre Region. During normal times, the presence of students in stores and restaurants is one of
the great benefits of the town-gown relationship in our wider community. Now, however, we feel
we must stress the need for continued safety and vigilance to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in
our communities.
The broader Penn State University Park community generally appreciates the efforts that the
University and its administration made throughout the COVID pandemic situation. It is
recognized by the Centre Region communities that the University is navigating uncharted territory
while working to balance a multitude of competing interests that is fraught with potential
disappointment and reproach. We wish to thank Penn State for their efforts taken to this point to
protect students, faculty, staff, and the community.
With that said, a majority of our members feel that requiring all students to be fully vaccinated to
live on campus or participate in campus activities would create a safer and more comfortable
environment for all of those that live, work, and play in the Centre Region. We strongly encourage
Penn State University to take the next step in providing a high level of comfort for our residents
and require vaccinations or verifications of having received the vaccination against the virus that
causes COVID-19.
As always, we remain ready to assist in any manner that furthers the betterment of our shared
residents and our communities, and the Centre Region municipalities remain committed to the
strong partnerships that exist with the university.
Sincerely,

Dennis Hameister
Centre Region COG Chair

Reactions: Agoodnap
Assuming the data detailed in Barron's letter is correct, the letter from Hameister is about as disingenuous as they come. Good response from Barron. I'd have been tempted to write a much shorter letter...

Dear Hammy...

Bite me.

Love,

E

Reactions: Skilion2
August 19, 2021
Dear President Barron,
On behalf of the entire General Forum, the Centre Region Council of Governments congratulates
Penn State University on implementing extensive masking requirements on campus, however, it
should be emphasized that there is concern regarding unvaccinated students visiting our
communities to shop, eat and socialize. In doing so, students will interact with residents of the
Centre Region. During normal times, the presence of students in stores and restaurants is one of
the great benefits of the town-gown relationship in our wider community. Now, however, we feel
we must stress the need for continued safety and vigilance to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in
our communities.
The broader Penn State University Park community generally appreciates the efforts that the
University and its administration made throughout the COVID pandemic situation. It is
recognized by the Centre Region communities that the University is navigating uncharted territory
while working to balance a multitude of competing interests that is fraught with potential
disappointment and reproach. We wish to thank Penn State for their efforts taken to this point to
protect students, faculty, staff, and the community.
With that said, a majority of our members feel that requiring all students to be fully vaccinated to
live on campus or participate in campus activities would create a safer and more comfortable
environment for all of those that live, work, and play in the Centre Region. We strongly encourage
Penn State University to take the next step in providing a high level of comfort for our residents
and require vaccinations or verifications of having received the vaccination against the virus that
causes COVID-19.
As always, we remain ready to assist in any manner that furthers the betterment of our shared
residents and our communities, and the Centre Region municipalities remain committed to the
strong partnerships that exist with the university.
Sincerely,

Dennis Hameister
Centre Region COG Chair
I sent this email to Mr. Hameister:

Dear Dennis:

Regarding the variety of business establishments in the Centre Region (stores and restaurants), a majority of our members my friends feel that requiring all students employees of these establishments to be fully vaccinated live on campus or participate in campus activities so we may visit the stores and restaurants in State College. This would create a safer and more comfortable environment for all of those that visit, live, work, and play in the Centre Region. We strongly encourage the Centre Region COG to take the next step in providing a high level of comfort for visitors and residents and require all employees of government, service, and retail entities in the Centre Region to confirm vaccinations or verifications of having received the vaccination against the virus that causes COVID-19.

Mr. PSUFBFAN

I sent this email to Mr. Hameister:

Dear Dennis:

Regarding the variety of business establishments in the Centre Region (stores and restaurants), a majority of our members my friends feel that requiring all students employees of these establishments to be fully vaccinated live on campus or participate in campus activities so we may visit the stores and restaurants in State College. This would create a safer and more comfortable environment for all of those that visit, live, work, and play in the Centre Region. We strongly encourage the Centre Region COG to take the next step in providing a high level of comfort for visitors and residents and require all employees of government, service, and retail entities in the Centre Region to confirm vaccinations or verifications of having received the vaccination against the virus that causes COVID-19.

Mr. PSUFBFAN
pretty awesome.

so nice hypocrisy by the local govt. there. students should be mandated but not the penn state faculty nor their own govt. workers. again...this is about power and control, not medical science.

barron with an actual good response also.
One neighbor is faculty. Faculty and student groups overwhelmingly in favor of mandatory vaccinations. I have other friends on faculty as well, almost all are behind a mandate.

Barron will not go there because the State legislature is Republican controlled and Penn State funding depends on them, they will not go there for fear of a backlash. It’s pretty simple, it only has to do with the money Not science. BTW, this is not a political statement, it’s just what the truth is with politics.

Barron wants to make sure the money keeps flowing from Harrisburg. That is it in a nutshell.

Once you exit State College the balance of the county is very rural and the county is pretty large as well. Whether you are in Port Matilda, Millheim , Spring Mills etc. you will find a significant portion of the local population unvaxxed. The balance of the county accounts for over half the county residential population I believe.

In Pennsylvania it’s all about politics.

It’s suicide, but can local businesses ask to see proof of vaccination before someone enters their store?

That's an absolute slap-down by Barron. Well done.

That said - I think we should force vaccinate everyone, everywhere, with vaccine tipped dart guns if necessary.

That's an absolute slap-down by Barron. Well done.

That said - I think we should force vaccinate everyone, everywhere, with vaccine tipped dart guns if necessary.

Yeah, I guess Molly wasn't in the mood last night.

It’s suicide, but can local businesses ask to see proof of vaccination before someone enters their store?

I would think they could. A business can refuse service to someone so long as they're not in a protected class. Not vaccinated is not a protected class, unless you could make an argument that it's a form of a disability. Not sure how that would work, though.

One neighbor is faculty. Faculty and student groups overwhelmingly in favor of mandatory vaccinations. I have other friends on faculty as well, almost all are behind a mandate.

Barron will not go there because the State legislature is Republican controlled and Penn State funding depends on them, they will not go there for fear of a backlash. It’s pretty simple, it only has to do with the money Not science. BTW, this is not a political statement, it’s just what the truth is with politics.

Barron wants to make sure the money keeps flowing from Harrisburg. That is it in a nutshell.

Once you exit State College the balance of the county is very rural and the county is pretty large as well. Whether you are in Port Matilda, Millheim , Spring Mills etc. you will find a significant portion of the local population unvaxxed. The balance of the county accounts for over half the county residential population I believe.

Totally agree its political but PSU is definitely making it challenging for those not vaccinated by making them get tested every week, students(on and off campus) and employees. And they have been very vigilant about it from what I have heard. Instead of going thru that on a weekly basis, people seem to be opting to get vaxxed so they stop getting hassled which in turn is sort of a round about way of mandating it. Even with the mandate I am guessing there are those that would hold out or find a Dr\religious reason to not get vaxxed?

Reactions: tgar

What? Wolf controls the state health officials.

Totally agree its political but PSU is definitely making it challenging for those not vaccinated by making them get tested every week, students(on and off campus) and employees. And they have been very vigilant about it from what I have heard. Instead of going thru that on a weekly basis, people seem to be opting to get vaxxed so they stop getting hassled which in turn is sort of a round about way of mandating it. Even with the mandate I am guessing there are those that would hold out or find a Dr\religious reason to not get vaxxed?
I have multiple neighbors who are physicians in State College. I doubt you will find a doctor here who would tell you not to get vaxxed unless you have some medical condition making it unadvisable.

The Medical Center has terminated patient visits. Everyone should their part but it looks like the locals are not interested and the university isn’t as well. It is what it is.

I just wanted to set the record straight as to follow the science versus political reality.

you missed the point. I wasn't saying that the PSU faculty and admin doesn't want to have a mandate.

The point is that the COG said for students only should have a mandate. But the COG doesn't have a mandate for their own workers or say that all of PSU including students, faculty and workers need to be vaccinated. So COG is 100% targeting and discriminating against the students essentially. This has nothing to do with what PSU wants.

What? Wolf controls the state health officials.
The Republican controlled General Assembly controls and sets the state budget. Funds are distributed from that. Wolf signs off on it but it’s not a fight he wants. Just a hunch, but he wants as much money directed to the universities as possible.

• Haha
Reactions: hohmadw and 91Joe95
you missed the point. I wasn't saying that the PSU faculty and admin doesn't want to have a mandate.

The point is that the COG said for students only should have a mandate. But the COG doesn't have a mandate for their own workers or say that all of PSU including students, faculty and workers need to be vaccinated. So COG is 100% targeting and discriminating against the students essentially. This has nothing to do with what PSU wants.
He didn't miss this point. The problem is that it doesn't fit his agenda.

Reactions: 91Joe95
so nice hypocrisy by the local govt. there. students should be mandated but not the penn state faculty nor their own govt. workers. again...this is about power and control, not medical science.

It's a rare day when PSU's leadership folks are not the hypocrites

Now about that stupid art museum...
Duh, yeah, duh, art museums are stoopid.

He didn't miss this point. The problem is that it doesn't fit his agenda.
Yeah, he tries to be a master of the below, straight from google. Shows his true colors and partisanship as he should be calling out the COG for their hypocrisy and not telling all to get vaccinated but instead tries to inject politics into it. Just sad some people constantly make it race and politics.

Which is an example of the red herring fallacy?

This fallacy consists in diverting attention from the real issue by focusing instead on an issue having only a surface relevance to the first.

Reactions: 91Joe95
To clear, lsu is requiring proof of vaccination at football games. Tosu is not.
LSU to B1G, Ohio State to SEC? I mean LSU cares more than OSU and B1G cares more than SEC. seems like swap is necessary. 😉

Agree…nice response…credit where credit is due.

Reactions: hohmadw
Pretty funny.

dear sir. We are penn state. Without us you are nothing. So please enough of the silly requests. Hope you enjoyed your 1 minute power trip.
Have a blessed day. (Southern for go f@& yourself)

Reactions: BobPSU92

Well that and teh fact they don't work. Pfizer the day after approval is now at 66% per CDC why give false hope.

Reactions: BW Lion
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT