ADVERTISEMENT

Centre County Sports Hall of Fame...Great Time!!

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
Just returned from the Centre County Sports Hall of Fame Inaugural Banquet. It had a considerable wrestling bent, and in my estimation was a tremendous success. For those that want a CDT Review, Ron Bracken had a great article in the sports section of today's (Sunday's) paper.

For those with historical perspective (hey there, blue hair's), all these names should sound familiar.

Inducted, with a relationship to Penn State Wrestling...
Dave Adams
Joe Humphries
Rich Lorenzo
Doug McDonald (sports-writer)

Also inducted were: Joe Hammaker, Denny Leathers, Ward Whitehill, Bruce Parkhill, Bill Luther, Thad Turner, Myles Thomas, Monte Ward, and Gene Wettstone.

Again, fabulous event.

Reactions: tikk10
...sounds like a great first list of honorees, and long past due ... :)

... a few more to consider in the future:

Bill Jeffries-several NCAA soccer titles
Charlie Speidel - 1st NCAA team title
Rip Engle- who brought Joe and the T
formation to Penn State football
Joe Paterno- 'nuff said

... a few more to consider in the future:

Bill Jeffries-several NCAA soccer titles
Charlie Speidel - 1st NCAA team title
Rip Engle- who brought Joe and the T
formation to Penn State football
Joe Paterno- 'nuff said
There's a BOD position open...

Ed Hamer - Philipsburg High School
2 time EIWA Champion
1 time NCAA champion

There's a BOD position open...
The way to get wrestlers nominated is to join. If they're set up like West Branch, any member can nominate someone. Then, as a member, you get to vote. Dues are cheap.

Also, FYI, the PA Sports Hall of Fame dinner is at the Genetti in Williamsport on 10/28. Not sure if tickets are still available, but if anyone is interested let me know. My FIL, as president of West Branch Chapter is heavily involved, and I can get you the info.

...why should that matter?......I'll bet there are a hundred or more wrestlers in the Pennsylvania Wrestling Hall of Fame and Rich, Dave and Thad are among them...

Last edited:
I know enough about the first year of this organization to be dangerous. Like all inductions, this one started with a very long list, and went through a process to get down to the 13. Trust the process.

...why should that matter?...
You did notice the "just sayin'" AND the "not that they can't..." in my message, right? Centre County is a chapter of the PA Sports Hall of Fame. Just pointing out that they have already been inducted at another level of that organization.

ADVERTISEMENT