ADVERTISEMENT

CDT: Franklin addresses internal, external impatience with offense

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
See the link. From the article:

"Am I gonna come in here and tell you guys exactly what those things are? In my opinion? No!” He said, “If someone could explain to me how that helps our program … for me to come in and say, ‘This is a problem, this is a problem, this is a problem’… Do we have those conversations internally? Yes.

“I get the fans, I get the media, but I go to sleep every night feeling really good about what we’re doing and how we’re doing it."

http://www.centredaily.com/2015/10/06/4955486_penn-state-football-james-franklin.html?rh=1

I like what Franklin had to say for the most part. I think the crux of his statement is that "no, I'm not delusionally optimistic about everything, I just try to be outwardly. Internally we know we suck, we know our limitations, and we're having the tough conversation."

Didn't love the line about having to create false expectations in order to garner excitement. That struck me as weird, or that everyone thinks of '82 or '86 before the season starts, I don't think that's true.

Look, guy feels between a rock and a hard place a bit and I get it. Gotta stay positive, he has recruiting classes to think about, gotta create excitement so there are butts in seats and he can help the bottom line. Let's face it, since the sactions, this program has been hanging by a thread. The storm has been weathered for the most part, but our foundation is weakened a bit. I think Franklin knows this, that's why he tries to focus on the positives. I sort of get it. If he pulled the Saban after a loss or a bad performance it would seem even more negative around the program. Gotta stay up, gotta work at it, have the tough conversations, but have fun, go to class, attack the day...I do get his strategy here.

I like what Franklin had to say for the most part. I think the crux of his statement is that "no, I'm not delusionally optimistic about everything, I just try to be outwardly. Internally we know we suck, we know our limitations, and we're having the tough conversation."

Didn't love the line about having to create false expectations in order to garner excitement. That struck me as weird, or that everyone thinks of '82 or '86 before the season starts, I don't think that's true.

Look, guy feels between a rock and a hard place a bit and I get it. Gotta stay positive, he has recruiting classes to think about, gotta create excitement so there are butts in seats and he can help the bottom line. Let's face it, since the sactions, this program has been hanging by a thread. The storm has been weathered for the most part, but our foundation is weakened a bit. I think Franklin knows this, that's why he tries to focus on the positives. I sort of get it. If he pulled the Saban after a loss or a bad performance it would seem even more negative around the program. Gotta stay up, gotta work at it, have the tough conversations, but have fun, go to class, attack the day...I do get his strategy here.
Agree 100%. I like how he handles himself. The only question on the table with JF is whether he is too loyal to replace underperforming coaches and we will not have that answer during the season.

“I get the fans, I get the media, but I go to sleep every night feeling really good about what we’re doing and how we’re doing it."

At least somebody goes to sleep feeling good about this team. I guess if anybody should it would be the head coach.

Franklin doesn't have to come into press conferences and tell anybody what the problem is. We all already know. The offensive line isn't very good, the QB is terrible, the offensive coordinator is one of the worst I've ever seen, and our head coach isn't a very good actual coach.

We all know why this team stinks.

I for one am gonna take a lesson from the guy that was here for 61 yrs...."you're never that good when you win and you are never that bad when you lose." Let's give the guy a break for crying out loud. All the teams we play give scholarships out...the team we play Saturday has 85 of them on scholarship...and most of them are veterans, Srs and Jrs...they are supposed to be good! We have 77. Let's see what PSU football looks like when we are at 85 and most of the team is filled with 4th and 5th yr players....especially on the offensive line...Relax people...jeez....didn't JVP teach you anything!

See the link. From the article:

"Am I gonna come in here and tell you guys exactly what those things are? In my opinion? No!” He said, “If someone could explain to me how that helps our program … for me to come in and say, ‘This is a problem, this is a problem, this is a problem’… Do we have those conversations internally? Yes.

http://www.centredaily.com/2015/10/06/4955486_penn-state-football-james-franklin.html?rh=1

I agree that Franklin should throw people under the bus in front of the media (that's the BOT's job). But I disagree when he says fans have expectations similar to 1984 & 1986. We know that the team isn't back to full strength but we do think there is enough talent to comfortably beat teams like UB & Army and also to beat the bottom half of the B1G teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT