ADVERTISEMENT

CBS, NBC, Fox considered frontrunners for Big Ten media rights

They won’t be nooners. But they will be lessor opponents like this year. That will hurt ratings, publicity, enthusiasm, energy, and impact.
Why lesser opponents? Why would TV want that unless we are so bad at that point that a O$U or scUM will crush us so we need to only play the Illinois or Minnys so the game is close.

Why lesser opponents? Why would TV want that unless we are so bad at that point that a O$U or scUM will crush us so we need to only play the Illinois or Minnys so the game is close.

The biggest issue is Fox wants the premier game on at noon every week because it has been the day opener, weaker match-up time slot.

They've been putting their best game on at that time for a couple seasons now and ratings are great.

They have shown some tendency to move some games, ie last year our game vs Iowa was played at 330-400, but the reality is, they are going to put every PSU/OSU game on at noon if they can help it.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
The biggest issue is Fox wants the premier game on at noon every week because it has been the day opener, weaker match-up time slot.

They've been putting their best game on at that time for a couple seasons now and ratings are great.

They have shown some tendency to move some games, ie last year our game vs Iowa was played at 330-400, but the reality is, they are going to put every PSU/OSU game on at noon if they can help it.
Yeah, I am bracing for the announcement that this year's O$U game will be at noon. That will be so weird but if we could pull off the W against them I would take an 8am game on a Monday.

Yes, and when we play at Suckeyes and we play Mich at home it will be a nooner too. Or whomever becomes a big power.....all nooners.
Now if we have two top ten teams at home the question becomes will Fox make both of them nooners? USC, Sparty, Iowa? Depends on what other games are available.
So we may get an occasional top ten opponent for a whiteout but it won’t be every year like it has been.

Last edited:
Reactions: lazydave841
Yeah, I am bracing for the announcement that this year's O$U game will be at noon. That will be so weird but if we could pull off the W against them I would take an 8am game on a Monday.
But that would negate a major homer advantage. Our noon games are notoriously quite, especially in the critical first quarter. Half the students won’t even be there by kickoff. And entry points are so poorly managed that a lot of other people will still be walking in too busy looking for their seats to be screaming at the game.

Reactions: psu00 and bison13
I don’t even like to watch noon games on TV let alone go to them in person. Nothing worse than ruining a beautiful fall Saturday sitting on the couch in front of the TV.
No thanks.

Reactions: MacNit07
But that would negate a major homer advantage. Our noon games are notoriously quite, especially in the critical first quarter. Half the students won’t even be there by kickoff. And entry points are so poorly managed that a lot of other people will still be walking in too busy looking for their seats to be screaming at the game.
Students will get there on time but atmosphere won't be nearly as loud as it has been.

This is the absolute worst part of the tv deal. All white out games (Michigan and Ohio St) will likely be at noon.
I think that’s why we’re playing Minny for the White out this year. Get ready to host USC and UCLA for future White Out games. I have a feeling that the Cali schools will have a stipulation that they won’t play noon games on the East Coast. I have no inside information on this, just a hunch.

Why are they losing so many subscribers and why is their streaming biz tanking?
ESPN are losing subscribers because cable customers are cord cutting. There are approx 22.3 million subscribers who currently have the streaming platform ESPN+. And those subscribers are only paying an average of $4.73 a month vs approx $10/mo for ESPN. Many of these “subscribers” aren’t real subscribers either, they are included in rolled up bundled streaming options that are providing ESPN+ at virtually no cost. Remember, ESPN+ programming needs to be paid for by the platform on a cycle basis and those costs continue to rise over time unlike Disney programming which is owned by Disney into perpetuity.

Last edited:
Yeah, just beat OSU- who cares what time it is played.

Not only that, but it's helped break the monopoly that GameDay had on setting the Saturday agenda. That's why FOX's put their best games at noon.

Biggest reason why this kind of FOX/CBS/NBC setup is possible is the past few years have shown that GameDay no longer has a stranglehold on the start of the day.

Big Noon Kickoff's ratings have been similar to GameDay because FOX has been putting topflight games at noon. It's not just about the noon game, it's about the kickoff show as well.

This is actually a terrific setup for the Big Ten: Big Noon Kickoff at the Big Ten game -> FOX noon -> CBS 3:30 -> NBC Big Ten pre-game/ND post-game show -> NBC primetime game.

You can literally go the entire day without touching ESPN starting next year and that's just the top 3 games; watch FS1/BTN games on the side for the other 3-4 Big Ten games on Saturday.

IMO, the Big Ten would not have left ESPN if FOX hadn't been as successful with the kickoff show + noon game. That changed everything because it broke ESPN's monopoly on the start of Saturday.

Well none other than a Buckeye coach said the whiteout homer gave us a seven point edge. Won’t be the same with nooners thus reducing our chances of winning.
How long will it take for Franklin to sneakily blame the noon kickoff for why he can't beat O$U. You know where he drones on for 3 minutes and then when he is finished you are like wait, I think he just blamed all the O$U losses on the kickoff time if you wade through all the BS he was saying.

Al Davis said it the best....Just Win Baby!

How long will it take for Franklin to sneakily blame the noon kickoff for why he can't beat O$U. You know where he drones on for 3 minutes and then when he is finished you are like wait, I think he just blamed all the O$U losses on the kickoff time if you wade through all the BS he was saying.

Al Davis said it the best....Just Win Baby!
Obviously......

I think that’s why we’re playing Minny for the White out this year. Get ready to host USC and UCLA for future White Out games. I have a feeling that the Cali schools will have a stipulation that they won’t play noon games on the East Coast. I have no inside information on this, just a hunch.
We’ll, that shows how out of touch I’ve been lately with PSU football news- I had no idea they made Minnesota the white out. Pretty disappointing result IMO.

We need to wait and see.

WOs have been mostly tOSU or Michigan for quite some time, depending on which is a home game. That gets pretty boring as well. The OOC games, like an Auburn, have been early in the season. When schedules come out with USC and UCLA added that will provide a lot of possible good games for White Outs; USC, UCLA, Michigan, tOSU, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Michigan State. I am OK with a USC or UCLA night game in EST, 4:00/5:00 Pacific.

Disappointing. The new AD needs to do something or this tradition will have a slow death. Can’t wait for those big Indiana and Rutgers white outs.
Unfortunately, I think the notion of "tradition" in college football has been dead for quite some time. Pretty much everything in CFB is going to be "new". Not necessarily better, but different and new for sure.

It may end up killing the sport. I've never been less excited for a CFB season to start. If the sport is losing people like me, I'm not sure how it will thrive going forward. But best of luck to them.

Reactions: psu00
Interesting development, apparently CBS will keep their 3:30 SEC slot for 2023 only, and will also carry B1G games...but no details how this will happen:

https://awfulannouncing.com/cbs/big-ten-deal-cbs-sec-2023.html

With the new Big Ten deal starting in 2023, CBS will have one year in which it owns the rights of the Big Ten’s second-tier game as well as the top SEC game—an interesting crossover quandary. The SEC’s contract with CBS requires its game to be exclusively aired by the network at 3:30 p.m. ET.
The Big Ten’s deal will be arranged in a way to allow CBS to fulfill its SEC duties in the first year of the contract, a source tells SI, though details were not provided.
It makes sense for the Big Ten to be flexible here, too. This is only for one year, and while it means their ideal Fox (noon)/CBS (afternoon)/NBC (night) setup may not be fully in place in year one of this deal, they’ll still be getting CBS checks, CBS promotion, and CBS games (albeit not in that 3:30 p.m. ET slot). Allowing the network some flexibility to keep their SEC package for its last year will keep CBS happier (and that might even have been part of driving this deal). If this plays out as reported, it will lead to a slightly weird 2023 season for CBS, but that’s better for them than having to get rid of their lucrative SEC package a year early.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Interesting development, apparently CBS will keep their 3:30 SEC slot for 2023 only, and will also carry B1G games...but no details how this will happen:

https://awfulannouncing.com/cbs/big-ten-deal-cbs-sec-2023.html

It makes sense for the Big Ten to be flexible here, too. This is only for one year, and while it means their ideal Fox (noon)/CBS (afternoon)/NBC (night) setup may not be fully in place in year one of this deal, they’ll still be getting CBS checks, CBS promotion, and CBS games (albeit not in that 3:30 p.m. ET slot). Allowing the network some flexibility to keep their SEC package for its last year will keep CBS happier (and that might even have been part of driving this deal). If this plays out as reported, it will lead to a slightly weird 2023 season for CBS, but that’s better for them than having to get rid of their lucrative SEC package a year early.
It also opens the possibility of replacing the SEC 3:30 games after 2023. Playing along to get along.

It also opens the possibility of replacing the SEC 3:30 games after 2023. Playing along to get along.
Absolutely. All indications are that the deal is for noon games on FOX, 3:30 games on CBS and 7:30/8:00 games on NBC. But it probably won’t be that way until 2024 as the networks work through previous commitments (and USC/UCLA are on board).

Reactions: NedFromYork
Unfortunately, I think the notion of "tradition" in college football has been dead for quite some time. Pretty much everything in CFB is going to be "new". Not necessarily better, but different and new for sure.

It may end up killing the sport. I've never been less excited for a CFB season to start. If the sport is losing people like me, I'm not sure how it will thrive going forward. But best of luck to them.
I am with you. Used to attend the 1:00 pm kick at the Beav, head to tailgates and/or town to watch the dinner time game w/friends, then watch the selection of games at 7:30/8:00 pm…lastly we would find a late night spot to catch the PAC 10 games at 11:00 pm. Every game seemed to have an impact/meaning to Penn State’s lot in tbe CFB world!

Now I either attend or watch only the PSU game. The NCAA and the Big10 screwed us - so screw them! And who wants to see the same 4-6 teams play the only meaningful bowl games each year. And with PSU losing relevance with our poor on field performance, I probably would not go/watch at all if not for my daughters attending PSU…gives us a his excuse to get together as an extended family/friends.

Absolutely. All indications are that the deal is for noon games on FOX, 3:30 games on CBS and 7:30/8:00 games on NBC. But it probably won’t be that way until 2024 as the networks work through previous commitments (and USC/UCLA are on board).
Imagine the wailing and screaming if the SEC games get dropped for the Big(2)10....er 16.

ADVERTISEMENT