ADVERTISEMENT

CBS, NBC, Fox considered frontrunners for Big Ten media rights

I’m surprised that they would leave ESPN just given how much they tend to dominate college sports coverage and their rep for ignoring properties they don’t broadcast (eg NHL for years).

I also don’t particularly like putting games on NBC as that will probably help Notre Dame by making that network more of a “destination” for college football and boost their ratings. Be curious if Notre Dame gets an extension at close to what they are asking.

I do like the idea of weekly network triple headers though.

Reactions: psu00
Where does this leave BTN?
my guess is that there will be a mixed bag where the winning network can ID x number of games and the BTN will get to show the rest. It may be that the winner sells rights to games, which the winner has no interest, in other networks. For example, the Illinois/Rutgers game is probably not going to be prime time.

Where does this leave BTN?

The same place as it has been? The BTN might get some extra football or basketball games (especially with USC/UCLA bcoming on board so there's extra inventory) but it will continue to function as always, basically getting the 3rd tier of games after networks and cable.

Reactions: bison13

In terms of streaming, I think this is probably wrong. Based on what others are saying, it seems like the main streaming would be network TV games having simultaneous broadcasts on streams (CBS on Paramount+, NBC on Peacock). There is some smoke that there might be some content exclusively on Peacock, but I would guess that would be lower tier games (maybe only basketball and some Olympic sports).

Sounds like FOX has bought the rights to the "A" games while CBS and NBC are wanting the "B" and "C" games.
I cannot tell you how happy I would be if ESPN is no longer affiliated with PSU and/or the B1G!

465936e3-b15a-4b23-b6e4-9b05d4b80b90_text.gif

If NBC puts money into the Big 10, they can't put mega bucks toward ND. Maybe it forces ND to join the Big 10 in a subtle way.

My hope is that the B1G is not in anyway allowing ND to have influence unless they sign an agreement to renounce their independent status and become a full-time member of th B1G.
100%. My hate for them just keeps growing over time.

I'm calling BS on this list. One glaring example - the ND fanbase(8.21M) is bigger than Bay area population(7.75M) + Cal fanbase (1.14M) - a good % of the Cal numbers certainly overlap.

I mean that's the thing - the Big Ten putting games on NBC makes it a better situation for Notre Dame to remain independent with their own deal with NBC. Notre Dame's ratings have suffered because people don't tend to turn to NBC for college football on Saturdays unlike ABC/FOX/CBS. This is the aspect of the deal I don't get from the Big Ten's prospective if they are trying to convince ND to join their conference.

I mean that's the thing - the Big Ten putting games on NBC makes it a better situation for Notre Dame to remain independent with their own deal with NBC. Notre Dame's ratings have suffered because people don't tend to turn to NBC for college football on Saturdays unlike ABC/FOX/CBS. This is the aspect of the deal I don't get from the Big Ten's prospective if they are trying to convince ND to join their conference.
They are giving ND leverage by including NBC. NBC should be excluded unless ND becomes a full BIG mbr.

Last edited:
No more night time Buckeye Whiteouts it seems. Now we *really* know they are Buckeye fans.
Good point. Same could be true of Michigan whiteouts. It might work out that all future whiteouts are middle level games. We could be losing a major advantage for the really big boys in the league.

And if that is how it works out, the whiteout will lose much of its energy and pizazz. Weird how that will work out 🥴

Reactions: lazydave841
I’m surprised that they would leave ESPN just given how much they tend to dominate college sports coverage and their rep for ignoring properties they don’t broadcast (eg NHL for years).

ESPN no longer has the $$$ to spend and is losing cable subscribers to a consensus estimate of 5M/yr. If cord cutting hadn’t happened then ESPN would still have 100 million subscribers and they would have done $12 billion in revenue in 2021. But cord cutting happened in a big way and instead ESPN will do roughly $9 billion in cable and satellite revenue instead and the $9 billion is heading down in a big way. If the consensus estimate is correct then ESPN subscriber base will drop to around 50m subscribers over the next 5 years and their $12b business will shrink to an estimated $6B. Additionally, the streaming business is losing $500M every quarter.

ESPN no longer has the $$$ to spend and is losing cable subscribers to a consensus estimate of 5M/yr. If cord cutting hadn’t happened then ESPN would still have 100 million subscribers and they would have done $12 billion in revenue in 2021. But cord cutting happened in a big way and instead ESPN will do roughly $9 billion in cable and satellite revenue instead and the $9 billion is heading down in a big way. If the consensus estimate is correct then ESPN subscriber base will drop to around 50m subscribers over the next 5 years and their $12b business will shrink to an estimated $6B. Additionally, the streaming business is losing $500M every quarter.
This really is great news! I hope ESPN fades into a distant memory.

You can't turn down a great deal because it may help Notre Dump's TV deal. Got news for you.... it will be a loooooong time before Notre Dump joins a conference for football.

Why are they losing so many subscribers and why is their streaming biz tanking?

Good point. Same could be true of Michigan whiteouts. It might work out that all future whiteouts are middle level games. We could be losing a major advantage for the really big boys in the league.

And if that is how it works out, the whiteout will lose much of its energy and pizazz. Weird how that will work out 🥴
I would be surprised if all are White Out games are at noon on Fox.

ADVERTISEMENT