ADVERTISEMENT

CBS computer makes us one of best "under" bets for season wins; Wisconsin now 4 1/2 point favorite

Jerry

May 29, 2001
Personally, I'm not making that CBS bet, but the schedule is a ball-buster what with having to play the two best teams in the West on the road plus the familiar East powers. Auburn is obviously a challenge. Even Ball State is not a gimme after winning the MAC last year and bringing back most of their key players.

Re Wisconsin, we opened as a 3 1/2 point underdog, and the line has since moved to 4 1/2. I think that game should tell a lot.

Penn State under 9 wins (-130)​

Projected Record: 7.8-4.2

After starting last season 0-5, the Nittany Lions finished the season with four consecutive wins to go 4-5 in the shortened season. Penn State does have 11 wins in three of the last five seasons, but I think this is a maximum nine-win team, and that is if Sean Clifford plays like he did in 2019 rather than how he played in 2020. Penn State opens the season at Wisconsin and then has a nonconference game against Auburn in Week 3. The Nittany Lions also have road games at Iowa and at Ohio State, plus Ball State in Week 2 of the season is not going to be a cakewalk. I think this is an eight-to-nine-win team and the under is a safe bet.

I personally think this team is very motivated after last year. But I am concerned about our confidence level. Especially the guy who stands three steps behind the center.

Wisconsin will set the tone. After Wiscy we have Auburn in a white out and Ball State which won the Mac last year and is no gimee. A walkover in Villanova then two more difficult games: Indiana and @ Iowa. We could easily be 2-4 at this point in the season. If we beat Wiscy and gain momentum and confidence, 6-0.

Wiscy is probably the most important opening game since we played AZ. (last year was a throw away year since many on the team were still introducing themselves to each other when the game started)

All of this Iowa hype has me thinking let down city.

They open with Indiana, -5.5 favorites before going into Ames to face their best ol buddy pal Cyclones, to which they are a -8.5 underdog.

After two more ooc games, they have Maryland on a Friday before they play us (extra day of rest).

If they come into our game 5-0, lookout. Probably means they are good. However, they could very well be anywhere from 4-1 to 2-3.

Reactions: Obliviax
I personally think this team is very motivated after last year. But I am concerned about our confidence level. Especially the guy who stands three steps behind the center.

Wisconsin will set the tone. After Wiscy we have Auburn in a white out and Ball State which won the Mac last year and is no gimee. A walkover in Villanova then two more difficult games: Indiana and @ Iowa. We could easily be 2-4 at this point in the season. If we beat Wiscy and gain momentum and confidence, 6-0.

Wiscy is probably the most important opening game since we played AZ. (last year was a throw away year since many on the team were still introducing themselves to each other when the game started)

I agree with all of that.

Wish I could be optimistic, but after almost 30 years in this league, I identify with a Springsteen line: End up like a dog that's been beat too much...'til you spend half your life just coverin' up.

If it's close at the end in Madison, we'll have to beat both the Badgers and the Zebras...

Reactions: Obliviax
A huge variable regarding this season will be whether full capacity attendance will be allowed at Beaver Stadium. Last year's "white out" with no fans in the stands was a very depressing sight for me. I can't imagine what it was like for the players.

Fans in the stands at full capacity will be a tremendous lift for this program, particularly against Auburn. But if PA goes into unnecessary lock down mode again, who knows how this team, or any team, will respond.

Given the schedule, I have the under. Right now, I have us at 7 and 5 and see many more reasons to revise it down rather than up at this point.

I agree with all of that.

Wish I could be optimistic, but after almost 30 years in this league, I identify with a Springsteen line: End up like a dog that's been beat too much...'til you spend half your life just coverin' up.

If it's close at the end in Madison, we'll have to beat both the Badgers and the Zebras...
Are you implying that Barry might use his clout to get John O’Neil assigned to the game? 🤔

Reactions: Jerry
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT