ADVERTISEMENT

CBS Bracketology

I hope we get in, but there are some pretty damn bad losses on the resume and when you are on the bubble, those are really hard to ignore.

Reactions: fairgambit
I hope we get in, but there are some pretty damn bad losses on the resume and when you are on the bubble, those are really hard to ignore.
It harkens back to the Michigan blowout in 2016. A really bad loss that was hard to ignore.

Ryder, though galling, is meaningless towards not making it. The killers were losing to stinko Wisconsin at home and rancid Northwestern on the road. The losses to A&M and NC State are neutral. Need 2 out of the last 3 and then a win the B1G Tournament.

Those 2 more missed league wins would give us 21-7, 11-4 and we'd already be locked in. Now its much tougher - but still doable.

Ryder, though galling, is meaningless towards not making it. The killers were losing to stinko Wisconsin at home and rancid Northwestern on the road. The losses to A&M and NC State are neutral. Need 2 out of the last 3 and then a win the B1G Tournament.

Those 2 more missed league wins would give us 21-7, 11-4 and we'd already be locked in. Now its much tougher - but still doable.
Yep. I think 2 of 3 and one B1G Tourney win will prolly be enough.

Since RPI is one of the things really holding us back right now, the Rider loss is far from meaningless. That extra ~10 spots in the RPI would be huge.

Since RPI is one of the things really holding us back right now, the Rider loss is far from meaningless. That extra ~10 spots in the RPI would be huge.
RPI is a factor, but not nearly as much as in the past. Besides, Rider is RPI 66. It's not a loss to Top-100 that hurts. It's losing to 136 Wiscy and 105 Northwestern that hurts.

RPI is a factor, but not nearly as much as in the past. Besides, Rider is RPI 66. It's not a loss to Top-100 that hurts. It's losing to 136 Wiscy and 105 Northwestern that hurts.
But I look at it as those teams are a lot better than Rider (regardless of RPI). If we were to replay the season again, that Rider game is the least likely of our losses. We are too good this year to have dropped that game. Plus we were home and at full strength (whereas @NW without Reaves was a much tougher spot).

You mean the stinko Wisconsin team that just beat Purdue?

Reactions: francofan
Penn State deserves to be in the tourney, and I hope you can win out before you come to Lincoln in 9 days.... I'm biased, but I believe the Huskers have the best homecourt advantage in the Big Ten outside of those two bumpkins in Southern Indiana.

I think a 22-8 Nebraska vs. a 21-9 Penn State would absolutely be a monster game. It is already sold out btw.

Reactions: francofan
You mean the stinko Wisconsin team that just beat Purdue?
Yeah, them. They're 12-16 overall, 5-10 in the league. 2-8 on the road. They suck.

The fact they beat Purdue says a hell of a lot more about Purdue than it does about Wisconsin. That was a 57-53 pillow fight and it should have counted as a L for both teams.

Penn State deserves to be in the tourney, and I hope you can win out before you come to Lincoln in 9 days.... I'm biased, but I believe the Huskers have the best homecourt advantage in the Big Ten outside of those two bumpkins in Southern Indiana.

I think a 22-8 Nebraska vs. a 21-9 Penn State would absolutely be a monster game. It is already sold out btw.
Thanks, would look forward to it as well.

BTW, awesome handle. Made me chuckle.

Yeah, them. They're 12-16 overall, 5-10 in the league. 2-8 on the road. They suck.

The fact they beat Purdue says a hell of a lot more about Purdue than it does about Wisconsin. That was a 57-53 pillow fight and it should have counted as a L for both teams.
A road game against the 88th ranked team in Pomeroy is far from a gimmie. There will be plenty of teams making noise in the dance with comparable (or worse) losses than that one.

But I look at it as those teams are a lot better than Rider (regardless of RPI). If we were to replay the season again, that Rider game is the least likely of our losses. We are too good this year to have dropped that game. Plus we were home and at full strength (whereas @NW without Reaves was a much tougher spot).
I agree that we should have beaten Rider, but if you take the names off of the jerseys, Rider is a better basketball team than Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Northwestern. The Rider loss hurts because it’s a game that we should have won that would have looked pretty good on our resume, but it’s not at all going to be considered to be a bad loss, at least in the way that the committee views bad losses.

I agree that we should have beaten Rider, but if you take the names off of the jerseys, Rider is a better basketball team than Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Northwestern. The Rider loss hurts because it’s a game that we should have won that would have looked pretty good on our resume, but it’s not at all going to be considered to be a bad loss, at least in the way that the committee views bad losses.
Rider would be an underdog to all 3 on a neutral court today. Those three teams are all better than Rider (predictive metrics will all agree).

The RPI won't see it as a bad loss, but it's the one that stings with me because they aren't that good.

Need Rhode Island to come back to beat the Bonnies. Bonnies are a potential bid stealer from the Lions.

If we win the B1G Tournament we are 100% in. ;)

Or it shows that anyone can win (or lose) on a given night.

Don’t forget Home loss to Minnesota.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Need Rhode Island to come back to beat the Bonnies. Bonnies are a potential bid stealer from the Lions.

losing to schools most of the country have never heard of or know where they are is not a proven way for large schools to get in. we have over inclusion of the little schools in the tourney, so not much room for big schools.

losing to schools most of the country have never heard of or know where they are is not a proven way for large schools to get in. we have over inclusion of the little schools in the tourney, so not much room for big schools.

I disagree about the big schools being "under"-represented. Just got done watching Syracuse beat Miami FLA --- both these teams are thoroughly "middle-of-the-road" in the ACC but both will manage to make the tournament as a 10 seed or such. Do we really need 9 ACC teams?

I'd prefer the likes of 2017 Illinois State get that 10 seed versus the 9th ACC or 8th SEC team. Lunardi had EIGHT SEC teams in his latest Bracketology. Eight from that conference????

Reactions: bison13

The A-10 is hardly a league of teams no one has heard of. A down year for them but overall its a good conference that anyone who knows about basketball knows and respects.

Reactions: LionJim
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT