ADVERTISEMENT

Cassar to 285 ?

Golfer1922,

Out of curiosity, if a girl messaged you for a ride, you pull up and it is a beautiful woman wearing a sparkling dance outfit, how many hula hoops can fit in your car?

Asking for a friend.:cool:

Reactions: Tom McAndrew
Had another wrestling-related ride last night......picked up the son of a great ,ex-PSU wrestler(mid to upper 80's) from NY state. He never won a national title but came real close 2x. He saw my wrestling hat and obviously we were talking PSU wrestling. He offered, he is very good friends with Cassar and it is "very likely AC is going to be wrestling 285 this year" due to Nevills shoulder issues. As we all have seen on another thread on this forum, AC is getting bigger. I guess, time will tell ??

Hi golfer1922! I shared this post of yours on twitter, and had a request to share your twitter; do you have one?

FLR episode 301 just after the 26 min mark they are talking about where Cassiopi would place if he has to go for Stoll. They see him as a 4x AA for all the doubters that might still be out there on this board. The then get in to who's left at the weight for next year and when they get to talking about Nevills there was a lot of hesitation there. It sure seems like they know something but don't want to talk about it. They say "if" Nevills goes or will it be Cassar. Just when Plyes says there is a lot of talk about .... but he gets cut off and they don't go back to explain what the talk is. Then they note that when they saw Cassar recently he was"huge" estimated between 220-230 lbs.

Last edited:
FLR episode 301 just after the 26 min mark they are talking about where Cassiopi would place if he has to go for Stoll. They see him as a 4x AA for all the doubters that might still be out there on this board. The then get in to who's left at the weight for next year and when they get to talking about Nevills there was a lot of hesitation there. It sure seems like they know something but don't want to talk about it. They say "if" Nevills goes or will it be Cassar. Just when Plyes says there is a lot of talk about .... but he gets cut off and they don't go back to explain what the talk is. Then they note that when they saw Cassar recently he was"huge" estimated between 220-230 lbs.
I would not say 220 is huge, plenty of guys cutting from 220 down to 197. Cassar at 230, 197 not happening.

Still a doubter that Cassioppi will develop into an elite 285 in college. His win over Parris was impressive, but it was freestyle against a clearly undersized opponent where they had one take down each.

Last edited:
I always find it amazing that soon after we start discussing a subject on this board, that it becomes a topic on FLR. It is almost like they read this board to get their discussion topics.:rolleyes:

Still a doubter that Cassioppi will develop into an elite 285 in college. His win over Parris was impressive, but it was freestyle against a clearly undersized opponent where they had one take down each.
If all you do is look at the SF match with Parris in a vacuum then I get your point. But Cassioppi has been impressive wherever he has wrestled for the last year and a half or so. In the finals match against Hutmacher, who was the #7 ranked Hvy in the country and is athletic and big, Cassioppi went TD, gut, gut, TD, cradle (fall) in 1min 14sec. Cassioppi looks big, fast, strong, and with some technical chops to me. Just curious why you are a "doubter", beyond the normal uncertainty with respect to any high ranked kid transitioning from HS to D1.

Last edited:
I would not say 220 is huge, plenty of guys cutting from 220 down to 197. Cassar at 230, 197 not happening.

Agreed 'huge' is a relative term. By some accounts Cassar was as heavy as 215-220 last year in the of season. I agree if he is near 230 he is committed to heavy. Time will tell, and it will be interesting.

I remain convinced if he goes heavy it is a result of multiple things and not only because the cut was getting to tough'. Multiple things being: Both Nick is hurt, and Bo is moving up.

Reactions: Lyons212
Agreed 'huge' is a relative term. By some accounts Cassar was as heavy as 215-220 last year in the of season. I agree if he is near 230 he is committed to heavy. Time will tell, and it will be interesting.

I remain convinced if he goes heavy it is a result of multiple things and not only because the cut was getting to tough'. Multiple things being: Both Nick is hurt, and Bo is moving up.

Cassar made the junior world team three years ago at 212 pounds. It's probably not the first time he's walked around between 220 and 230.

If all you do is look at the SF match with Parris in a vacuum then I get your point. But Cassioppi has been impressive wherever he has wrestled for the last year and a half or so. In the finals match against Hutmacher, who was the #7 ranked Hvy in the country and is athletic and big, Cassioppi went TD, gut, gut, TD, cradle (fall) in 1min 14sec. Cassioppi looks big, fast, strong, and with some technical chops to me. Just curious why you are a "doubter", beyond the normal uncertainty with respect to any high ranked kid transitioning from HS to D1.

There is a lot of talent coming in at 285 and many of them could be better then Cassioppi. He just has the look of one of those overdeveloped high school guys that will get caught and/or surpassed in college by several of the other prospects. Could be wrong.

How many true freshmen HWT AA? Cassioppi has come on strong but I wouldn’t see him as elite coming out of HS. Not a Parris fan either. He is a tweener and will struggle until he bulks up abit.

Reactions: tabenn
There is a lot of talent coming in at 285 and many of them could be better then Cassioppi. He just has the look of one of those overdeveloped high school guys that will get caught and/or surpassed in college by several of the other prospects. Could be wrong.

Internet Rule #1 (Vodka Edition): keep up the good fight. dont give in....... at any cost.

#fighttothedeath
#neveradmityourwrong
#ownthehaters
#internetintegritydoesntmatter

How many true freshmen HWT AA? Cassioppi has come on strong but I wouldn’t see him as elite coming out of HS. Not a Parris fan either. He is a tweener and will struggle until he bulks up abit.
This was my question for Cassioppi too -- and somewhat of a refutation of the point about Parris.

Offhand, the only 2 true FR AAs in recent memory were Myers (6) and Gwiazdowski (8). (I did check brackets since 2014.)

Both of them finished HS as national #1 at 215/220.

Also, straying somewhat from fhe true freshman angle -- the last 7 HWT national titles were won by HS 215/220s (Snyder 3x, Gwiz 2x, Nelson 2x). That streak probably ends this year (IIRC Sasquatch, White, and Wood are the only returnees who were seeded last year) -- but interesting just the same.

He won't be a four-time AA but I think folks need to start giving the kid a lot more credit than he's gotten on the boards. He has shown he can hang.

Reactions: vhsalum and tikk10
This was my question for Cassioppi too -- and somewhat of a refutation of the point about Parris.

Offhand, the only 2 true FR AAs in recent memory were Myers (6) and Gwiazdowski (8). (I did check brackets since 2014.)

Both of them finished HS as national #1 at 215/220.

Also, straying somewhat from fhe true freshman angle -- the last 7 HWT national titles were won by HS 215/220s (Snyder 3x, Gwiz 2x, Nelson 2x). That streak probably ends this year (IIRC Sasquatch, White, and Wood are the only returnees who were seeded last year) -- but interesting just the same.

Maybe you're forgetting the soon-to-be champ who was a 195 in HS ;)

Question for the experts: is this coming year looking like the weakest heavyweight division in recent memory?

FLR302 today. They talk about Cassar at heavy again, with the rumor being Nevills is hurt and some speciation of seeking a 6th year next year.

Internet Rule #1 (Vodka Edition): keep up the good fight. dont give in....... at any cost.

#fighttothedeath
#neveradmityourwrong
#ownthehaters
#internetintegritydoesntmatter

Yea, I'm doubling down a bit. But after rewatching the Parris win, I just can't take that much away from it. Cass had to out-weight him by 30-40 pounds and his scoring was virtually all freestyle only type points.

He won't be a four-time AA but I think folks need to start giving the kid a lot more credit than he's gotten on the boards. He has shown he can hang.

You have to keep it in context, the discussion is more about just how good Cassioppi is going to be at the next level, not whether he will be good enough to compete. At this point I think everyone views him as a potential multiple AA in college. In fact, I actually think he could be an 4xAA after a redshirt, just don't see him in that top 1-3 range where he will be competing with guys like Steveson and Kerk for finals appearances and national championships.

unless he would delay enrollment this year and RS next year
Or Nick could transfer closer to home and use his 6th year, although he could run into AJ in a real match if he does that. Cassar could also apply for a 6th year.

had to out-weight him by 30-40 pounds

Trolling Darth Ryan, NICE!

The last thing we need in 2018 is our views challenged. Coming to the intranet looking for good faith debate and open discussion is like parachuting into Syria to play paintball. You come here to kill or die fighting, buddy. This ain't a GD book club.

- Comfortably Smug (edited for this forum)

Reactions: Ski
Question for the experts: is this coming year looking like the weakest heavyweight division in recent memory?
Not an expert but it doesn't take one to realize that Snyder and Coon are 2 major losses for the weight -- one an all-time great at any weight, the other probably the all-time best heavy to never win a title and made the world Greco team immediately after college.

Dhesi and Kasper are also significant losses. Throw in the health uncertainty with Stoll and Nevills, and conceivably only 2 AAs return: Hemida (8th) and Sasquatch (3rd in 2017, DNP 2018)..

Reactions: Flying_Tiger
Yea, I'm doubling down a bit. But after rewatching the Parris win, I just can't take that much away from it. Cass had to out-weight him by 30-40 pounds and his scoring was virtually all freestyle only type points.

You have to keep it in context, the discussion is more about just how good Cassioppi is going to be at the next level, not whether he will be good enough to compete. At this point I think everyone views him as a potential multiple AA in college. In fact, I actually think he could be an 4xAA after a redshirt, just don't see him in that top 1-3 range where he will be competing with guys like Steveson and Kerk for finals appearances and national championships.

What's up, FT! Man, I dunno; I thought that first righty hi-c was supa slick. The bigger guy had the smaller one froze af, lowered his level, got in deep. Purrrty!

Reactions: Afw6006 and tikk10
Not an expert but it doesn't take one to realize that Snyder and Coon are 2 major losses for the weight -- one an all-time great at any weight, the other probably the all-time best heavy to never win a title and made the world Greco team immediately after college.

Dhesi and Kasper are also significant losses. Throw in the health uncertainty with Stoll and Nevills, and conceivably only 2 AAs return: Hemida (8th) and Sasquatch (3rd in 2017, DNP 2018)..

When you put it like that, maybe Cass wins it all as a true freshman! Seriously though, 285 is looking incredibility weak next year, especially if Nevills and/or Stoll are not healthy.

ADVERTISEMENT