ADVERTISEMENT

Carter officially returning!

Dake 3 behind Snyder, Snyder 5 years younger
The question was who will win more than Burroughs, not who will end up with the most.

Dake probably won't -- he's currently 4 behind Burroughs and already 35 (2 yrs younger than Burroughs). But Burroughs has likely won his last world medal, and Dake is wrestling better today than Burroughs did at the same age. So it's unlikely but not impossible.

Varner also struck Gold in 2012. Varner now coaches/helps other team USA guys reach the goal of World and Olympic medals. JB spends his time being bitter that his skills are eroding at a rapid pace and still try to hang onto every opportunity to self promote. Anything JB accomplished was for JB. He was great. He isn't great anymore and should quietly go away if he really cares about the sport.
Whenever I come across and unfamiliar poster I usually do a quick search and read a few random postings they made in the past. It's clear this guy is a troll. See for yourself.

My God, is this a great analogy. As an ASU grad, I always try to like fellow alumni, just like Penn State athletes. Phil makes it damn near impossible to like him.
smarmy (unusually fake) I think the word is. Remember when he first came out on tour? He wore his golf shirts with the collar up. Preppie to the max. I was floored that Tiger was hated by the press but the tour players loved him, and Phil was loved by the public and press but the tour players hated him. That said a lot.

JB is the Phil Mickelson of the wrestling world. Popular with the fans that don't know him. And disliked by fellow golfers that know him well.
Man this comment is DEAD ON CORRECT. A certain famous long time sports commentator also shares this distinction. His nickname in the business and among the guys in the trucks is "The Little General". Care to guess who?

Reactions: bourbon n blues
smarmy (unusually fake) I think the word is. Remember when he first came out on tour? He wore his golf shirts with the collar up. Preppie to the max. I was floored that Tiger was hated by the press but the tour players loved him, and Phil was loved by the public and press but the tour players hated him. That said a lot.
His "faithful family wife" wasn't so pure as the driven snow either, before Phil scooped her up off the court side of the old Suns arena, when she "danced" as a Suns "cheerleader", but moonlighted as a "feature dancer" I believe around the 29th street and Thomas section of Phoenix, on a big ole pole. Didn't go by "Amy" over there either 😂 . Everything about them both is fake a.f. as we say

Last edited:
His "faithful family wife" wasn't so pure as the driven snow either, before Phil scooped her up off the court side of the old Suns arena, when she "danced" as a Suns "cheerleader", but moonlighted as a "feature dancer" I believe around the 29th street and Thomas section of Phoenix, on a big ole pole. Didn't go by "Amy" over there either 😂 . Everything about them both is fake a.f. as we say
Least you could do is post pics of Amy dancing around 29th Street and Thomas

chris farley snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Reactions: Sullivan
Bob has never met a mirror that he didn't want to kiss. Blowhard is the most flattering description I could give him. Someone went into the restroom once just after Costas did #2 and it smelled like Chanel #5 in the bathroom. Uncanny (pun intended).
The little General loved to push people around and degrade the assistants and technical support at each one of his broadcasts.

JB had an exciting run to win his first World Gold Medal; literally came out of nowhere, other nation's fans were like who the F#$% is that as he knocked off one former medalist after another. I think it's fair to say that was a well needed boost to moral but if I'm looking for the main reason USA wresting has done so well over the past decade or so, it's the impact of the Regional Training Center Model.

The RTCs have brought in a lot of money for USA wrestling and allowed guys to focus strictly on getting better, many times in a community where they have ties and are comfortable. The money for winning medals has also risen over this time period, providing some nice financial incentives. Finally, there has been a realization that wrestling folk is not the big detriment it was thought to be to international wrestling and in some cases may actually provide advantages over the competition.

JB had an exciting run to win his first World Gold Medal; literally came out of nowhere, other nation's fans were like who the F#$% is that as he knocked off one former medalist after another. I think it's fair to say that was a well needed boost to moral but if I'm looking for the main reason USA wresting has done so well over the past decade or so, it's the impact of the Regional Training Center Model.

The RTCs have brought in a lot of money for USA wrestling and allowed guys to focus strictly on getting better, many times in a community where they have ties and are comfortable. The money for winning medals has also risen over this time period, providing some nice financial incentives. Finally, there has been a realization that wrestling folk is not the big detriment it was thought to be to international wrestling and in some cases may actually provide advantages over the competition.
Agreed on all points. The main detriment I see from wrestling folk is in the area of pushouts. A couple guys were easy pushout targets for veteran freestylists.

JB is the Phil Mickelson of the wrestling world. Popular with the fans that don't know him. And disliked by fellow golfers that know him well.
Phil’s nickname among the PGA players is”Chuckles”. Always smiles and tips his hat when he sees a camera. Not well liked.

Reactions: bourbon n blues

Yes, plus he gave instant much-needed positive PR for the sport domestically. His style was easy to follow for anybody who happened to tune in: he coiled up like a snake, struck, and scored. You didn't need to know any wrestling rules at all to figure out how he was winning.

He was what the sport needed at the time from a publicity standpoint.

Then the RTCs boosted the talent across the board, and the additional money made senior-level careers viable for more wrestlers.

I feel sorry for anyone who bash JB. He has represented our country with class for years. He wrestles hard and an exciting style. His interviews are inspiring to my children and even my wife. Maybe he gets into a little banter now and then on X or instagram, but who really cares. Maybe he has been under the microscope for long enough for people to find something to complain about and maybe he should have retired last year, but he still has shown more class than the people on here bashing him.
Did he save USA wrestling - probably not, but he was a hero when we needed a hero and the moral was low. Could others have done it - probably. Does it matter that some people look up to him - definitely.

i always liked Phil great stories and quotes from a damn good golfer!
I don't follow golf at all, but when I used to work as an officer in La Jolla, Phil would come in often to Harry's Cafe. The regulars would leave him alone, so I'm sure he appreciated that. Harry's son, Harry Jr., and Phil grew up golfing together, and Harry Jr. golfed in college at Oklahoma State. I was friends with Harry Sr. and when I worked nights I would drop by when Harry would get to the cafe around 0500 and we would chat over coffee. Fun fact; as a boy Harry was a batboy for the Yankees. Here is a photo with Phil and Harry Jr. from when they were young bucks. Harry Jr. is to the left of Phil. This photo is on the wall at Harry's Cafe.

Go buy a lotto ticket with that crystal ball.

JB was never going to be JB if you looked at his collegiate career.

I have no idea who will win more world and Olympic medals than JB, but I have little doubt we won't see it coming until maybe the half way point of a great freestyle career.

What's the count with Bruce Baumgartner?

4 Olympic medals (2-Gold, 1-Silver, 1-Bronze), 9 World Championship medals (3-Gold, 3-Silver, 3-Bronze) and 4 Pan-American medals (3-Gold, 1-Silver,); he has also won 12 World Cup medals (7-Gold, 5-Silver), an NCAA title (and 2 Runner-Up finishes), 4 Olympic Festival titles, 2 AAU National titles and a Junior National title...

What's the count with Bruce Baumgartner?

4 Olympic medals (2-Gold, 1-Silver, 1-Bronze), 9 World Championship medals (3-Gold, 3-Silver, 3-Bronze) and 4 Pan-American medals (3-Gold, 1-Silver,); he has also won 12 World Cup medals (7-Gold, 5-Silver), an NCAA title (and 2 Runner-Up finishes), 4 Olympic Festival titles, 2 AAU National titles and a Junior National title...
Tough to beat! Admittedly the talent pool diminishes the heavier you go, but Big Bruce took care of business and was outstanding.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
I don't follow golf at all, but when I used to work as an officer in La Jolla, Phil would come in often to Harry's Cafe. The regulars would leave him alone, so I'm sure he appreciated that. Harry's son, Harry Jr., and Phil grew up golfing together, and Harry Jr. golfed in college at Oklahoma State. I was friends with Harry Sr. and when I worked nights I would drop by when Harry would get to the cafe around 0500 and we would chat over coffee. Fun fact; as a boy Harry was a batboy for the Yankees. Here is a photo with Phil and Harry Jr. from when they were young bucks. Harry Jr. is to the left of Phil. This photo is on the wall at Harry's Cafe.

I remember back in the early 80's, you could go out in San Diego and it wasn't rare to bump into a lot of well known celebrities. I used to see a lot of guys who played for the Chargers out bar hopping and having a good time including Dan Fouts, Louie Kelcher and PSU's own John Cappelletti. Some friends of mine opened a popular bar/restaurant in Mission Valley, and I remember seeing Bill Walton and Ben Davidson at the bar. In La Jolla, my friend and I talked to a young and very pretty lady in an art gallery that I'm fairly certain was Kelly LeBrock. (we didn't ask her) And people would often see Gregory Peck in downtown La Jolla. Once around 1997, I was at the 24 Hr Fitness gym near the stadium on a Saturday morning and I ended up trading sets on one of the chest machines with Fred Dryer! I suspect those days are over now. Well known people have to remain incognito as much as possible.

I remember back in the early 80's, you could go out in San Diego and it wasn't rare to bump into a lot of well known celebrities. I used to see a lot of guys who played for the Chargers out bar hopping and having a good time including Dan Fouts, Louie Kelcher and PSU's own John Cappelletti. Some friends of mine opened a popular bar/restaurant in Mission Valley, and I remember seeing Bill Walton and Ben Davidson at the bar. In La Jolla, my friend and I talked to a young and very pretty lady in an art gallery that I'm fairly certain was Kelly LeBrock. (we didn't ask her) And people would often see Gregory Peck in downtown La Jolla. Once around 1997, I was at the 24 Hr Fitness gym near the stadium on a Saturday morning and I ended up trading sets on one of the chest machines with Fred Dryer! I suspect those days are over now. Well known people have to remain incognito as much as possible.
Those are some great names - several real characters in that bunch

Tough to beat! Admittedly the talent pool diminishes the heavier you go, but Big Bruce took care of business and was outstanding.

Not only did Bruce have an exemplary record as an athlete; he's served in multiple administrative and executive positions since the end of his career.

Burroughs has a long way to go to match what Baumgartner did FOR wrestling. Maybe he'll transition to coaching/admin/executive positions. Time will tell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT