Carroll county school (Baltimore) assign students to read

Air Force 1

May 29, 2002
Smithsburg, MD
A high school in Carroll County has assigned students to read "The Other Wes Moore”. He’s the democratic nominee for governor of Maryland. He’s running against Dan Cox the republican nominee.

Nothing like pushing for a candidate to the children and the parents.

Date: September 112022 at 8:45:30 AM EDT
Subject: Book for AP Language and Composition class
Hello Everyone,
I am so excited for the start of this school year! If you are receiving this, you (or your child) is scheduled for my Mod
2 AP Language and Composition class. AP Lang is my favorite class to teach, and I think it is one of the best college
preparation classes we have at CHS. Students who have gone on to college come back to tell us how valuable what
they learned in class is to them in college.
One thing I wanted to let you know is that this year we will read one book as a whole class, called The Other Wes
Moore. This is an amazing book--I highly recommend both students and parents read it because it leads to many
discussions about life, decisions, and how much control we have over our lives. It is a true story that took place in
Baltimore, and the book is a quick read.
We will study this book very closely, and students will be required to present detailed information about particular
chapters to their peers. Many students have preferred to purchase their own copy of the book because they want te
be able to make notes in it as they read. There is no obligation to purchase it, because we do have copies for
students to use, but they are very cheap on amazon.com if you would like your own copy.
We will begin this book the beginning of October, so if you are going to purchase it, I would do that soon so you have
enough time to read it. I have included a screen shot below so you can be sure you are getting the right version.
See you Tuesday!

interrobang

Aug 21, 2016
I love this book review from 2013.

I had to read The other Wes Moore for English 0304 and hated every min of it. This guy has done nothing to get what he has gotten.
#1 Where are the parallels beyond name.
#2Running away FIVE times from military school and disobeying direct orders from a superior gets him an appointment to the most prestigious company in the academy.
#3 C's and D's in school get him a white house fellowship, A mayoral internship and a Rhodes Scholarship.

This book encourages the worst kind of person. Wes Moore is helping to build a monster made of slackers and me,me,me, with no concern for community, Hard work and duty to this country. If this is our next leaders hero ,god help us all.

bison13

Dec 22, 2007
A high school in Carroll County has assigned students to read "The Other Wes Moore”. He’s the democratic nominee for governor of Maryland. He’s running against Dan Cox the republican nominee.

Nothing like pushing for a candidate to the children and the parents.

Date: September 112022 at 8:45:30 AM EDT
Subject: Book for AP Language and Composition class
Hello Everyone,
I am so excited for the start of this school year! If you are receiving this, you (or your child) is scheduled for my Mod
2 AP Language and Composition class. AP Lang is my favorite class to teach, and I think it is one of the best college
preparation classes we have at CHS. Students who have gone on to college come back to tell us how valuable what
they learned in class is to them in college.
One thing I wanted to let you know is that this year we will read one book as a whole class, called The Other Wes
Moore. This is an amazing book--I highly recommend both students and parents read it because it leads to many
discussions about life, decisions, and how much control we have over our lives. It is a true story that took place in
Baltimore, and the book is a quick read.
We will study this book very closely, and students will be required to present detailed information about particular
chapters to their peers. Many students have preferred to purchase their own copy of the book because they want te
be able to make notes in it as they read. There is no obligation to purchase it, because we do have copies for
students to use, but they are very cheap on amazon.com if you would like your own copy.
We will begin this book the beginning of October, so if you are going to purchase it, I would do that soon so you have
enough time to read it. I have included a screen shot below so you can be sure you are getting the right version.
See you Tuesday!
Century hs is a very good school, probably the best in Carroll county. All it takes is one teacher and administrator to allow this crap to go on. I’m sure that quite a few parents and heavily conservative Carroll county will make a stink about it.

Reactions: YeOldeCup

ao5884

Oct 1, 2019
Century hs is a very good school, probably the best in Carroll county. All it takes is one teacher and administrator to allow this crap to go on. I’m sure that quite a few parents and heavily conservative Carroll county will make a stink about it.
As they should. Promoting only 1 candidate in the classroom is not teaching young people a very good lesson about "democracy" that the left claims they defend.

YeOldeCup

Jan 27, 2005
As you may have seen in my other posts, I'm leaving MD after 30 years (last 20 in Carroll County) of dealing with this creeping propaganda. My daughters attended nearby South Carroll and were savvy enough to see through this garbage when it arose.

bison13

Dec 22, 2007
As you may have seen in my other posts, I'm leaving MD after 30 years (last 20 in Carroll County) of dealing with this creeping propaganda. My daughters attended nearby South Carroll and were savvy enough to see through this garbage when it arose.
Ha, we are practically neighbors. I live in Mt Airy. I wonder if that is an appropriate book for an AP class. They have to get books approved normally, though AP might approve anything these days

Reactions: bourbon n blues

YeOldeCup

Jan 27, 2005
Ha, we are practically neighbors. I live in Mt Airy. I wonder if that is an appropriate book for an AP class. They have to get books approved normally, though AP might approve anything these days
We sold our house behind Challedon back in April for a great price, just before the brakes went on the housing market (inflation + mortgage rates). It was a great place to raise our daughters, but the congestion from overbuilding and 'attitudes' (as in this case) have noticeably changed over the past two decades. Our new place is just outside Shepherdstown and I've become a Rams fan already (check out QB Tyson Bagent, Div II MVP last season).

I've joked with my wife that we may have gone to the same PA high school based on your handle...

Last edited:

bison13

Dec 22, 2007
We sold our house behind Challedon back in April for a great price, just before the brakes went on the housing market (inflation + mortgage rates). It was a great place to raise our daughters, but the congestion from overbuilding and 'attitudes' (as in this case) have noticeably changed over the past two decades. Our new place is just outside Shepherdstown and I've become a Rams fan already (check out QB Tyson Bagent, Div II MVP last season).

I've joked with my wife that we may have gone to the same PA high school based on your handle...
27 traffic gets worse every year and now they want to build on the Beck and Leishear properties. Im in the HOCO part of MA so it not as much of an issue to me but thats what happens when you get just 1 bad apple in a school system or county council or town council.

Bison is not from my HS days though....

Reactions: YeOldeCup