ADVERTISEMENT

Careful what you wish for...

Aardvark86

Jan 23, 2018
I know many of us harbor the secret fantasy of the ncaa imploding, but to their “credit,” I don’t think they have done anything quite like what d1a rugby did to the psu men’s rugby team this week. See if you can spot what’s wrong with this picture.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
I know many of us harbor the secret fantasy of the ncaa imploding, but to their “credit,” I don’t think they have done anything quite like what d1a rugby did to the psu men’s rugby team this week. See if you can spot what’s wrong with this picture.

So, they just re-seeded teams after the quarters?

Yes but rather than traveling to play a 9 at a neutral site, psu gets a 2 at their home field. Meanwhile, cal gets a home game against a nine instead of traveling to play said 2.

Reactions: psu00
So, they just re-seeded teams after the quarters?
No they just changed the bracket by fiat to allow cal to stay home. No reseeding originally contemplated.

Read the presser: apparently 2 upsets in the same side of a bracket is an extraordinary event.

Then read the tweet comments.

Last edited:
Reactions: psu00 and PSU Soupy
Life University?
How cool would it be to say "I'm a student of Life"?
harrison_whatislife7.jpg

Reactions: BBrown

Does the NCAA control college rugby? I thought it was something of a club sport.

Life University?

Life University is a small chiropractic college located in Marietta, Georgia. They have no reputation (and perhaps no program) in anything other than rugby, but they are VERY good in rugby. The Running Eagles have been to the national collegiate rugby semi-finals for the last six years in a row.

Lindenwood is a small school in Missouri. I don't know anything about the school or its rugby program. How they managed to beat St. Mary's (the top seed going into the tournament) is just beyond me.

A big part of the decision to switch up the brackets was the unexpected upsets of St. Mary's and BYU. Congrats to the Lions for that win over BYU. The other part of it was the costs of cross country travel. It is explained in the article I linked below. (Don't blame me; I had no part in this decision, and would have preferred it remain as it was, since St. Mary's College is only 1 mile from my home, and I could have gone to see the Lions play.)

https://www.californiagoldenblogs.c...wood-in-moraga-in-national-semifinal-saturday

Reactions: ChiTownLion
Life University is a small chiropractic college located in Marietta, Georgia. They have no reputation (and perhaps no program) in anything other than rugby, but they are VERY good in rugby. The Running Eagles have been to the national collegiate rugby semi-finals for the last six years in a row.

Lindenwood is a small school in Missouri. I don't know anything about the school or its rugby program. How they managed to beat St. Mary's (the top seed going into the tournament) is just beyond me.

A big part of the decision to switch up the brackets was the unexpected upsets of St. Mary's and BYU. Congrats to the Lions for that win over BYU. The other part of it was the costs of cross country travel. It is explained in the article I linked below. (Don't blame me; I had no part in this decision, and would have preferred it remain as it was, since St. Mary's College is only 1 mile from my home, and I could have gone to see the Lions play.)

https://www.californiagoldenblogs.c...wood-in-moraga-in-national-semifinal-saturday
Certainly not blaming you but that justification in the context of what is supposed to be a national champ tourney is just laughable. What they wanted was California butts in the California seats for tv. I will be praying daily for two upsets by non Cali teams.

Nope. They started d1a under the auspices of USA rugby
True dat. But the truth is that only a relatively small number of colleges play rugby at the varsity intercollegiate level. Most schools play rugby as a club sport. There are two primary consequences to the distinction: (1) you can't win a legit "national championship" fielding a club team; and (2) varsity intercollegiate teams count for Title IX purposes, whereas club teams do not. The second distinction means that the players on the roster of a men's varsity intercollegiate rugby team (such as PSU's and Cal's teams) ARE counted for purposes of comparing the respective total numbers of athletic slots allowed for men vs. for women under Title IX.

Cal Rugby is wildly successful, and its coach (Jack Clark) is venerated by a lot of Cal alums.. The mens rugby program has raised a shit ton of money over the years, and pays not only its own way but the costs for a number of Cal women athletes. Cal rugby pays for the women athletes in large part to ensure that Title IX and cost issues do not force it to relinquish its varsity intercollegiate status.

True dat. But the truth is that only a relatively small number of colleges play rugby at the varsity intercollegiate level. Most schools play rugby as a club sport. There are two primary consequences to the distinction: (1) you can't win a legit "national championship" fielding a club team; and (2) varsity intercollegiate teams count for Title IX purposes, whereas club teams do not. The second distinction means that the players on the roster of a men's varsity intercollegiate rugby team (such as PSU's and Cal's teams) ARE counted for purposes of comparing the respective total numbers of athletic slots allowed for men vs. for women under Title IX.

Cal Rugby is wildly successful, and its coach (Jack Clark) is venerated by a lot of Cal alums.. The mens rugby program has raised a shit ton of money over the years, and pays not only its own way but the costs for a number of Cal women athletes. Cal rugby pays for the women athletes in large part to ensure that Title IX and cost issues do not force it to relinquish its varsity intercollegiate status.
Yes, and they’re the ones who won’t have travel costs. Irony.

Certainly not blaming you but that justification in the context of what is supposed to be a national champ tourney is just laughable. What they wanted was California butts in the California seats for tv. I will be praying daily for two upsets by non Cali teams.
I fully understand your position. I want both Cal and PSU to win in the semis, but that would make the finale difficult for me to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT