ADVERTISEMENT

Car shopping tools?

Ranger Dan

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2003
York PA
I recall in the 90’s, when researching a car purchase, there were web sites that would tell you what the invoice price was for a vehicle and various options. My bank used to provide this info, but not any more. Does anyone know whether this info (for new cars) is available on the web these days?

Also, is anyone aware of a site where you can sign up to receive notifications when new rebates are announced?

I recall in the 90’s, when researching a car purchase, there were web sites that would tell you what the invoice price was for a vehicle and various options. My bank used to provide this info, but not any more. Does anyone know whether this info (for new cars) is available on the web these days?

Also, is anyone aware of a site where you can sign up to receive notifications when new rebates are announced?

edmunds.con

Reactions: Ranger Dan

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Just bear in mind they pay less than so called "dealer cost" and get monthly credits toward their "dealer cost" based on the number of units they move/month! I buy purchase suvs/trucks for at least $100 less than it all the time. Shop at the end of the month and they may accept your crazy "low" offer to get their bonus, which could be considerably way more than the hundred bucks you got knocked off!

Many dealers have a pricing strategy to sell everything at dealer invoice. I definitely wouldn't pay more than invoice or even less. Right now with rebates on 2020's many new ones are cheaper than slightly used ones.

Invoice typically means the dealer is getting 3 percent holdback, plus advertising charge (about $500) plus freight ($800 or so), plus a "documents fee" they often charge. Plus any kickback they get from referring the buyer for financing.

So not a bad business. And really, dealers make more money in the service department anyway these days. So most dealers will match any other price out there because they'd like to establish the relationship with the buyer for service.

Many dealers have a pricing strategy to sell everything at dealer invoice. I definitely wouldn't pay more than invoice or even less. Right now with rebates on 2020's many new ones are cheaper than slightly used ones.

"Invoice typically means the dealer is getting 3 percent holdback, plus advertising charge (about $500) plus freight ($800 or so), plus a "documents fee" they often charge. Plus any kickback they get from referring the buyer for financing."

So not a bad business. And really, dealers make more money in the service department anyway these days. So most dealers will match any other price out there because they'd like to establish the relationship with the buyer for service.

Another price check is to use Cargurus.com

Search for the car you plan to purchase and see what the dealers in your area are willing to advertise as an attractive price. The cars can be listed/sorted with the lowest price, best deal,... You can search different radius' around your zip code, just for information, or is you are willing to drive a ways for your purchase. Each deal with list the sticker price and the price they are willing to sell for, with the listing including pictures and any additional information they care to include....

I recently used the costco and edmunds programs to get pricing on my new vehicle. The information is very helpful. Keep in mind the pricing information is on the vehicle only. You still need to deal with dealer mark ups, title fees etc. I ended up making my purchase outside of their participating dealers.

If you’ve narrowed your search down to a model or two - go find online owners’ chat forums, many of which will offer “What Did You Pay” threads/discussions .... just be aware that, like other bulletin boards, there are morons who make claims that are not based in reality... likewise - these groups will educate you about common defects/problems... those model-specific forums are exponentially more-useful than yawn-inducing, banal Consumer Reports treatments or most crappily-written auto-journalist reviews

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT