ADVERTISEMENT

Caps Tom Wilson

Aren’t there hundreds of hits worse than that every season (or even month)?

Ya, I've seen a million hits worse than that. But now, with the new two hand touch rules, you don't know who is taking a dive anymore and who is not. Hockey and football are becoming no better than soccer.

Reactions: psu00
The hit was late and unnecessary so there's probably going to be a punishment but he got the shoulder not the head so I'm not convinced the NHL is going to throw the book at him like many think. Wilson hasn't heard a lesson yet though which is concerning.

The hit was late and unnecessary so there's probably going to be a punishment but he got the shoulder not the head so I'm not convinced the NHL is going to throw the book at him like many think. Wilson hasn't heard a lesson yet though which is concerning.

In the old days, if the hit was that bad, the "lesson" would be taught by someone like Dave Schultz or Marty McSorley. They packed an exponentially stronger punch than any wimpy "punishment" the NHL might hand out.

To me, I've seen a quintillion worse hits than that.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
In the old days, if the hit was that bad, the "lesson" would be taught by someone like Dave Schultz or Marty McSorley. They packed an exponentially stronger punch than any wimpy "punishment" the NHL might hand out.

This is my biggest issue. After that hit. There should have been 4 white shirts after Wilson. Guy like McSorley, Probert, Schultz would have made sure Wilson didn’t do it again.

Reactions: BUFFALO LION
When the opposing player says he was hit in the shoulder, probably best to shut up.

That’s a joke. Maybe interference but that’s all
..... but he’s also not going to get any benefit of the doubt due to history

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
The hit wasn’t bad, but unnecessary. I just don’t get Wilson’s thinking with the timing. He just came back from a long suspension.

Yep. Looked like the Devils were coached to take a dive the first time Wilson touched any of them. Complete joke.

Yep. Looked like the Devils were coached to take a dive the first time Wilson touched any of them. Complete joke.

A dive usually happens when you know what’s coming. The guy was caught on the blind side and did not have time to prepare to dive. That said, not a viscous hit by any means while at the same time being a really stupid play by Wilson coming off of a long suspension.

Reactions: Obliviax
Here’s the thing though. If you’re gonna get called for being Tom Wilson, in any any other world that would be known simply as bias. And that is sort of the opposite of what refereeing is supposed to be about.

This is probably the least brutal of his recent run of bad hits. He got called for who he is. I can’t imagine he’ll be suspended for that. But Nothing the nhl chooses to do surprises me anymore.

Reactions: Obliviax
When the opposing player says he was hit in the shoulder, probably best to shut up.
Player has his back turned to Wilson and is unaware he is there. Wilson is coming hard from the blueline and doesn't even try to avoid the player. He has all kinds of time to avoid the player, who is skating backward,without the puck and away from the play. He just lifts his foot, but doesn't turn his body. He makes contact with his shoulder first then to the head. This is Wilson is a nutshell. A dangerous and dirty player, who tries to make it look like an accident.

Player has his back turned to Wilson and is unaware he is there. Wilson is coming hard from the blueline and doesn't even try to avoid the player. He has all kinds of time to avoid the player, who is skating backward,without the puck and away from the play. He just lifts his foot, but doesn't turn his body. He makes contact with his shoulder first then to the head. This is Wilson is a nutshell. A dangerous and dirty player, who tries to make it look like an accident.
Not what the impacted said re the head.

Not what the impacted said re the head.
Don't care what he said. It was a reckless and blindside hit, but looks like Wilson is evading further punishment as reports say there will be no disciplinary hearing. The NHL is the only league that refuses to protect its players.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Recklessness is not a penalty or disciplinary basis last I checked.

But I agree the nhl doesn’t protect players...like Oshie or Kuznetsov.

I agree but Wilson doesn't mind fighting at all.

Recklessness is not a penalty or disciplinary basis last I checked.

But I agree the nhl doesn’t protect players...like Oshie or Kuznetsov.
It is in the NFL. A league which has taken many steps to protect its players. So much so, that some argue that they have gone too far. In the NHL, the union protects the goons even if they injure another player, including a star player. The union is a large part of the problem with the NHL. Re: Wilson reduction in suspension. Sometimes the NHL hands are tied.

Re Wilson’s reduced suspension I expected 15 so 20 was only mildly surprising.

The nhl and nfl are just different. One effectively allows fighting. One does not. It’s not about unions protecting goons. Unions have a duty to defend in these situations.

And as to recklessness, the body slam of Oshie was a ridiculous non hockey play and the fact that the refs let play continue while he was skating around with his head into next week was unconscionable. 2 concussions for the guy on two bad hits neither of which was penalized.

I’m ok with whatever level of violence the league wants as long as it is administered consistently

That’s a joke. Maybe interference but that’s all
..... but he’s also not going to get any benefit of the doubt due to history
Wilson has earned his reputation. That he hasn’t learned from past consequences is telling and until he does, the league is going to continue to withhold any/all benefit of the doubt wrt hits like this one.

Re Wilson’s reduced suspension I expected 15 so 20 was only mildly surprising.

The nhl and nfl are just different. One effectively allows fighting. One does not. It’s not about unions protecting goons. Unions have a duty to defend in these situations.

And as to recklessness, the body slam of Oshie was a ridiculous non hockey play and the fact that the refs let play continue while he was skating around with his head into next week was unconscionable. 2 concussions for the guy on two bad hits neither of which was penalized.

I’m ok with whatever level of violence the league wants as long as it is administered consistently
Unions have a duty to protect ALL players. While they are defending one (the instigator or perpetrator) , they are NOT defending the victim. Until that changes, the NHL will be a league that has difficulty policing its own sport and will be okay with stars (and other players) being hurt and not playing.

Wilson with his track record should be banned from the league. As should all other players like him. You seem to be a Caps fan. I'm a Pens fan and would say the exact the same thing about Matt Cooke. Those players have no place in today's game.

LOL, incredible goal scorer and battler. NHL MVP for sure, no one like him.

Wilson just took the same hit he got dinged for. Looks concussed. 5 and a gamer seems right to me. That said, this will likely be the third capitals concussion hit that will likely go undisciplined.

Wilson just took the same hit he got dinged for. Looks concussed. 5 and a gamer seems right to me. That said, this will likely be the third capitals concussion hit that will likely go undisciplined.

Undisciplined??? Reeves should get a bonus in his next check.

Sorry Wilson is a decent player, but he and the league only has himself to blame. He is just lucky he didn’t play in the 70’s and 80’s.

Lol. He’s unlucky he didn’t play in the 70’s and 80’s. He’d be an all-star.

Fun fact. Even strength scoring per 60 this season:

Tom Wilson 3.352
Sidney Crosby 3.348

Lol. He’s unlucky he didn’t play in the 70’s and 80’s. He’d be an all-star.

Fun fact. Even strength scoring per 60 this season:

Tom Wilson 3.352
Sidney Crosby 3.348

And yet, there's not a single team in the league who would take Wilson over Crosby, if given the choice.

I feel as badly about Wilson's injury as I did about Khaddafi when they bombed his house out from underneath him.

Dear Tom,
Karma...she’s a bitch!!
Sincerely,
The Universe
Karmas-a-bitch.gif

His career numbers are good enough to get him 5 million per. Given how the caps were playing before he came back and what happened when he did return, he’s earning it,
Caps got ripped off. He will be out of the league within a year.

Maybe Wilson will have a better understand of the impacts of such hits now that he has taken one. Glad to see karma finally bitch slapped him.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
I wish it would happen to you personally

Oh big stick here... hey its America you can do it yourself box cutters are cheap at Lowes.

Man I defended the guy and that's the response I get

Seney was not hit in the head and his head never hit the ice. Total flop job. Whiplash I don't know.

Reaves I would suspend. Got Wilson closer to the head and then hit the ice. But again Karma is a skanky bitch with herpes sometimes.

Have I mentioned I hate Tom Wilson

Last edited:
Reactions: androcles
Oh big stick here... hey its America you can do it yourself box cutters are cheap at Lowes.

Man I defended the guy and that's the response I get

Seney was not hit in the head and his head never hit the ice. Total flop job. Whiplash I don't know.

Reaves I would suspend. Got Wilson closer to the head and then hit the ice. But again Karma is a skanky bitch with herpes sometimes.

Have I mentioned I hate Tom Wilson
NHL feels differently. No disciplinary hearing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT