ADVERTISEMENT

Can we all agree now that Saquon Barkley is the greatest tailback ever to play at Penn State

That dude needs less caffeine!

On another note, I didn't post Obli's Observations because I didn't watch the game until last night. But here is my one cool Ob I haven't seen discussed. Early on, #26 has a nice run of about 8 yards around left tackle. He gets hit as he goes OOB by #10. It is a solid hit with #26 going backward. But #10 kind of stands over him and stares him down. Later, on this long 85 yard catch and run, who has #26 dead to rights and gets juked out of his jock strap? Our friend, #10, from GaSt. Karma baby!

Last edited:
That dude needs less caffeine!

On another note, I didn't post Obli's Observations because I didn't watch the game until last night. But here is my one cool Ob I haven't seen discussed. Early on, #26 has a nice run of about 8 yards around left tackle. He gets hit as he goes OOB by #10. It is a solid hit with #26 going backward. But #10 kind of stands over him and stares him down. Later, on this long 85 yard catch and run, who has #26 dead to rights and gets juked out of his jock strap? Our friend, #10, from GaSt. Karma baby!
Obi
On the first play another GS player hits Barkley from the side at the same time and Barkley is stoned. 10 does then stand over Barkley. On the second play 10 is by himself and he knows it. He's bracing for having to take on Barkley by himself and Barkley just sidesteps him and is gone. The kid hesitated for just a moment which is all Barkley needs

Reactions: Obliviax
Anyone who still believes that Barkley isn't the greatest running back ever at Penn State is not watching the same games I'm watching... I think the only argument now is whether he's the best ever, including all positions...

Barkley has kicked his game up a level this year and that is saying a lot. He looks stronger and faster than last year. He seems different running this year. He's running with more confidence it seems. Not that he wasn't great these last 2 years, but now he's really putting everything together and the results are spectacular. Put that together with what kind of person he is and he will go down as one of the absolute greats at penn state.

Reactions: EPC FAN
Not yet. He may turn out to be, but let's see how this season plays out. He' s averaged just under 6 yards a carry the past 2 years. Very good, but in his junior year Lenny Moore averaged 8. In the past 2 years he had 25 rushing touchdowns. Lydell Mitchell had more than that (26) in a single season.
Agree but Barkley has a more balanced offense around him compared to Lyell Mitchell

Love this slam on Pitt. Saquon: "I have respect for every team we face. Whether it's Georgia State, whether it's Akron or whether it's Iowa."

Last edited:
And some on this board are so narrow minded and verbose about their narrow mindedness they are considered anal linguists.
That includes you when it comes to your view of central and western Pa.

He's a threat to house it anytime he gets a sliver of room. His touchdown in the game this past weekend was one of the best I've ever seen. And he has many like that so far in his short career. IMO he should be mentioned with the all time greats like Herschel and Bo
I agree with you. There is no way that you could expect "all to agree" though.

I usually am very leery of naming the current player at ANY position the GOAT. Too many people just have a recency bias. We favor what we are seeing right now over the past.

That said, Barkley is the complete package. His combination of strength, speed, size, cutting ability, vision, instinct and passion is simply unparalleled IMO. We've never seen it before.

He is clearly the greatest Penn State RB of all-time and we are so fortunate to have him!!!

Reactions: Ranger Dan
When Big Ten and national media are comparing Barkley to guys like Barry Sanders, it should make you realize that there is more than just recent memory syndrome to explain why many of us say that Barkley is the best ever.​

Saquon Barkley is the best back to ever play at any Pennsylvania university. The last back to play in college who may have been as good as Saquon was Hershel Walker.

Can we let the season play out please.
Agree. The kid is tremendous, and may well turn out to be the best ever, but what is the rush to canonize him now? A few days ago a 29 year old Penn State fan was telling me he was the best ever and I asked him if he ever saw film of Lenny Moore and he asked "Who is Lenny Moore?"?

There is no rush, but there is more than sufficient evidence to make this conclusion at this point.
That is a matter of opinion, and while I respect yours Dan, I will wait until seasons end, and he has likely played his final game at Penn State, before I make my decision.

He's a threat to house it anytime he gets a sliver of room. His touchdown in the game this past weekend was one of the best I've ever seen. And he has many like that so far in his short career. IMO he should be mentioned with the all time greats like Herschel and Bo

Is it important that we all agree?

Reactions: mn78psu83
@fairgambit and @razpsu you're both great posters.

I'm sorry to say this and mean it with all the love in the world...but you're both nuts. If it isn't clear Barkley is the best by now, you're never going to believe it. There isn't a person in the history of Penn State football who could do everything that Barkley does.

I'm sorry to say this and mean it with all the love in the world...but you're both nuts. If it isn't clear Barkley is the best by now, you're never going to believe it. There isn't a person in the history of Penn State football who could do everything that Barkley does.
If he continues doing what he has been doing for the rest of the season, I will agree with you. He will be the best ever. I just see no need to make that proclamation now. What's more, I can't understand why so many seem upset with those who choose to wait. In any event, I will wait and let him continue to build his resume.

If he continues doing what he has been doing for the rest of the season, I will agree with you. He will be the best ever. I just see no need to make that proclamation now. What's more, I can't understand why so many seem upset with those who choose to wait. In any event, I will wait and let him continue to build his resume.

Just like waiting for marriage to pop your cherry, there's nothing inherently "wrong" with it.

All kidding aside, I'm just giving you and raz crap. While I vehemently disagree with you, I respect that opinion.

What gets me are dolts who use idiotic excuses to say he's not the GOAT. One in particular said something along the lines of "...even (Barkley) says he needs to improve" while another gave some long line of BS about Barkley needing to improve his receiving skills. While I never saw Lenny Moore play, I'll take Joe's word that he was the best--that said, there are people on this board who act like Moore could kick the shit out of Chuck Norris blindfolded with one arm & one leg tied up.

Reactions: grinagrin
Just like waiting for marriage to pop your cherry, there's nothing inherently "wrong" with it.

All kidding aside, I'm just giving you and raz crap. While I vehemently disagree with you, I respect that opinion.

What gets me are dolts who use idiotic excuses to say he's not the GOAT. One in particular said something along the lines of "...even (Barkley) says he needs to improve" while another gave some long line of BS about Barkley needing to improve his receiving skills. While I never saw Lenny Moore play, I'll take Joe's word that he was the best--that said, there are people on this board who act like Moore could kick the shit out of Chuck Norris blindfolded with one arm & one leg tied up.

patience_grasshopper.jpg

:)

It's obvious from their repetitive posts about him that Oracle and grinagrin both have a man-crush on Barkley. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I already heard a lot people saying Barkley is best rb they ever seen.
If he’s already being compared to best college running backs ever I say he’s probably got toop slot as PSU’s

Why. It is septemberand we haven't played anyone good yet. Let's slow down and wait and have this conversation in November after we go through the October gauntlet. If all goes well Barkley could be the best ever. A lot depends on the coaches too. We need more points on the board. Barkley beat warners all time record of 341. He is right there at the top. October will be a break through!

I'm not trying to convince you otherwise, but ... are saying that if somehow never played another snap of football for Penn State (he was teleported by aliens to start their own football team or gave up football to use his powers of humility and good will to inspire the world and cure cancer), you haven't seen enough evidence of SB being the greatest ever RB in Penn State history? How many more highlights must you see, exactly? How many more yards must he have rushing and receiving? Are you aware that SB is currently leading the Big Ten in rushing yards, receiving yards, and receptions? Could you elaborate on exactly what type of data/input you require in order to make this decision?

Why. It is septemberand we haven't played anyone good yet. Let's slow down and wait and have this conversation in November after we go through the October gauntlet. If all goes well Barkley could be the best ever. A lot depends on the coaches too. We need more points on the board. Barkley beat warners all time record of 341. He is right there at the top. October will be a break through!

I have eyes and a brain. I don’t need to wait.

were you here to watch Warner or the others before 2000? Warner was pretty awesome as well and that team was awesome like this one and it played the number 1 hardest schedule in the country. So lets let October pass and then Barkley may be the best.He is getting darn close and that is saying a lot at Penn State!

I'm not trying to convince you otherwise, but ... are saying that if somehow never played another snap of football for Penn State (he was teleported by aliens to start their own football team or gave up football to use his powers of humility and good will to inspire the world and cure cancer), you haven't seen enough evidence of SB being the greatest ever RB in Penn State history? How many more highlights must you see, exactly? How many more yards must he have rushing and receiving? Are you aware that SB is currently leading the Big Ten in rushing yards, receiving yards, and receptions? Could you elaborate on exactly what type of data/input you require in order to make this decision?

I probably know as much about Saquon as anyone else who posts here, but I also know a lot about Lenny Moore, Lydell Mitchell, Curt Warner, and all the other great Penn State running backs. I simply am not yet ready to say Saquon is the best ever. I will make that determination at the end of this season. Nothing anyone says will convince me to make it sooner, and I really don't understand why this is such a big deal. Besides, you are obviously not familiar with the Gambit Sports Jinx. If today I said he is the best ever, he will develop fumblitis and costs us both the Michigan and OSU games. I will not do that. I will wait.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT