ADVERTISEMENT

Can we all agree now that Saquon Barkley is the greatest tailback ever to play at Penn State

Well, he was a 1991 Parade All-American then attended PSU from 1992-1994....so I'm not sure how he was there for four years. And Paterno encouraged him to leave early, not after he completed four years.

He redshirted in 1991 and was a red shirt Junior in 1994; hence there for 4 years.

Well, he was a 1991 Parade All-American then attended PSU from 1992-1994....so I'm not sure how he was there for four years. And Paterno encouraged him to leave early, not after he completed four years.
No. He did have a year of eligibility left, but he was at PSU for 4 years, playing 3.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...nside-kijana-carter-trade-red-flags/30854581/

There was a near consensus leading into the 1995 NFL Draft that Penn State running back Ki-Jana Carter was worthy of the top selection, but for some there were red flags sticking out of his medical file.

Carter had a long injury history beginning at Westerville South High School just outside of Columbus.

1987: He missed his freshman year due to Osgood-Schlatter disease (inflammation associated with growth spurts).

1990: Knee and hand injuries limited him to just five games as a senior. But, he was a USA Today and Parade All-American after rushing for 985 yards and 11 touchdowns.

1991: He had arthroscopic surgery on a knee, causing him to redshirt.

1993: He suffered a calf strain against Illinois. Carter missed the last two regular season games before returning to rush 19 times for 93 yards and two touchdowns in the Florida Citrus Bowl.

1994: The calf strain was reported as a "knee injury" in by the start of the 1994 season, and that swelling in that knee forced him to miss spring practices. He also suffered a dislocated thumb, but that only caused him to miss two quarters.

Washington was picking fourth in 1995, one spot ahead of the Cincinnati Bengals, and its former general manager Charley Casserly recalls that he took Carter off the board due to their medical concerns.

"That was really our biggest thing on him," said Casserly, now an analyst on the NFL Network. "So at that point of the draft, we weren't going to consider him.

"He was a top 10 player but we had concerns on the medical and durability, but medical is an arbitrary decision. We took Curtis Martin off the board and obviously we weren't right on that one. It's a guessing game when you're doing medical. That's essential. If you only have half the story it's not fair to the Bengals."

Former Minnesota general manager Jeff Diamond agreed with that assertion and said that while Carter's medical history raised eyebrows with his organization, it wouldn't have prevented them from picking him if it was possible.

***no disrespect to Carter, who was a great player at PSU, particularly in 1994. IMO Barkley is the best ever at Penn State.

Carter redshirted in 91 and then played three years. He was a senior his final year (redshirt junior). Barkley is a junior this year.

I'll say he is. He is the complete package and does it in a very humble way. Speed, power, elusive, catches the ball, and is a hell of a blocker. I didn't see Lenny run and was very young with Warner, but yes he is the best I have seen and did it with some shaky OL's his first 2 years.

Let's put it like this....which of them had more to do in their offense?

LENNY MOORE RUNNING BACK U-TUBE
Baltimore Colts

[Joe Paterno: "Don't worry about the recruits that we lose. Just make sure that the ones we get can play."]

I didn't look but I'd be shocked if Lenny Moore had as many receptions in his career as Barkley had just last year. I'm not sure how you can make this claim other than nostalgia. There simply isn't enough evidence.

Edit: well, I guess I was way off. At least according to the site I looked at (don't know how to link on my phone) Moore had 125 career receptions. Barkley had 28 last year. I'm shocked Moore had that many receptions. So I apologize for weighing in without the facts. At least based on numbers, there's certainly a claim to be made that Moore was the best receiving RB we've ever had.
Go back and look again.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/lenny-moore-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/saquon-barkley-1.html

Yeah, it's a good word. I've been looking for the opportunity to use 'revanchist' (revanchism) here. If you're looking for a quizzical stare from most persons, that word usually works. Just for fun, of course:cool:. Gotta use the smug:oops:, French accent though.:)
Clearly we are logophiles.:)

I am but I didn't know the word :mad:. I'll spread that around a bit to get blank stares.

"Please forgive me, but as a logophile I take exception to your use of the word 'irony'. Let me make this simple. 'Coincidence' is not 'irony'."

Indeed, one might say that such usage would be a catachresis.

The 85 yd TD reception this week sealed it for me. The way he blew past the 2 defenders in a phone booth was ridiculous.

Reactions: grinagrin
Indeed, one might say that such usage would be a catachresis.
Hmmmm. Sort of, I guess, except that irony has nothing to with coincidence. Catechresis is good. I like malapropisms (successfully used by comedian, Norm Crosby).

A few weeks ago I coined the malapropism, 'solar eclaire', because I was so tired of hearing about the eclipse. I said it to everyone I saw, strangers mostly. It was fun. They'd chuckle and I'd go, straight-faced, "What's so funny?". I used it here and got zero, ningun de nada, response.

Last edited:
Reactions: fairgambit
There will always be a portion of the fan base that pines for "the way it used to be, etc, etc." Those types will NEVER believe a current player is the best ever, period. Stop wasting your breath .

So many great RBs have played at Penn State, I liked everyone that I had the good fortune to watch. SB is the best, no doubt. Played with poor OLs his first two years. This year, well hoping our OL becomes more physical and consistent to give SB runs.

There will always be a portion of the fan base that pines for "the way it used to be, etc, etc." Those types will NEVER believe a current player is the best ever, period. Stop wasting your breath .
And there will always be a portion of the fan base that will NEVER believe a former player is the best ever because they did not see them play. Then, there is a 3rd group that will crown a current player as the best ever when he has earned that title. Barkley has not. That is not "pining". It is my opinion and is based upon having seen most of the backs mentioned actually play. He may well earn it by years end, but right now reasonable men can differ.

Last edited:
Reactions: artsandletters
He's a threat to house it anytime he gets a sliver of room. His touchdown in the game this past weekend was one of the best I've ever seen. And he has many like that so far in his short career. IMO he should be mentioned with the all time greats like Herschel and Bo

I still would not put him in front of Kajana Carter. But he is top three in my book. Always hard to pick one when you have had the likes of Kajana, Curt Warner, Lenny Moore, Larry Johnson, etc.

He's a threat to house it anytime he gets a sliver of room. His touchdown in the game this past weekend was one of the best I've ever seen. And he has many like that so far in his short career. IMO he should be mentioned with the all time greats like Herschel and Bo

Yea I think I am ready to admit it. I haven't seen a player like him, at PSU, that every time he touches the ball it could go the distance. And then on Sat. his blocking was pretty damn good as well.
I'm not going to say a once in a generation type player but yea he's the best I've seen at PSU since I started following them in the mid 70's.

Best all around back, yes. Best running back, I would take Carter at this point in Barkley's career.

Carter was amazing but honestly I'd love to see what Barkley could do with that '94 OL and not standing still getting the ball 4+ yards behind the LOS.
If I'm not clear I'm not sure the RPO offense is doing him any favors.

No doubt, he's really, really, really good. We saw that as he ran away from DB's on a few long TD's. We saw that in pass blocking. He will go down as one of the all time greats if not the all time great.

But, big but, some of it is the system. Jo Mo's system gives him the best opportunity to exploit, and he does.

Love the kid. It might be the shortest 3 years I've ever seen.

Interesting cause, INMO, JoMo's system isn't doing him any favors.
I'd love to see him getting the ball with a running start only a yard or so behind the LOS, instead of getting the ball practically standing still 4+ yards behind the LOS.
Has any PSU back every had more yards after being hit than he has? I seriously doubt it.

HAAA!!! Ya. Till the next great one comes along.

We've had a LOT of great ones.

I can tell you this. This TEAM has a long way to go before it is anywhere close to being in the same category as our best team ever. Heck. Just watched the 1977 Houston game before I saw this thread (Houston was the defending SWC Champion and coming off a Cotton Bowl victory). Right now, that 1977 Penn State team would literally kick our a$$.

Let's let the season play out. Saquon is very good. But none of the teams we have played so far have much of a chance of playing over .500 football this year. We still have a LOOOOONG way to go. Let's just try to get by Iowa this week.

Carter was amazing but honestly I'd love to see what Barkley could do with that '94 OL and not standing still getting the ball 4+ yards behind the LOS.
If I'm not clear I'm not sure the RPO offense is doing him any favors.
Absolutely...it's very hard to compare RB's with so many different OLines. Also tough due to different levels of competition.

Interesting cause, INMO, JoMo's system isn't doing him any favors.
I'd love to see him getting the ball with a running start only a yard or so behind the LOS, instead of getting the ball practically standing still 4+ yards behind the LOS.
Has any PSU back every had more yards after being hit than he has? I seriously doubt it.

Good point. And perhaps in other systems they'd run him out of the I formation for 30 to 35 touches.

I don't get the need some posters have to declare absolutes, then berate anyone who disagrees. Argue good naturedly about it, sure, but to imply that someone who disagrees with you is an idiot is pretty narcissistic. I've liked a lot of our running backs, from Charlie Pittman and Franco/Lydell, through all the RBs considered great or coulda/shoulda been great, all the way to Barkley now. Why not just have a category of backs you consider "great PSU running backs" and leave it at that? If you put them all in a room together, I seriously doubt they'd be at each others' throats to claim the "best ever" title!

1gT7kb.gif

Saquon-Barkley-Penn-State-Big-Ten-East.gif

i would love to see Barkley in a traditional pro style offense and see how he would do. Put him in Alabama offense and Barkley would run for 2,000 yds pretty easily in my opinion.

Paging @uhlerlion - Can't wait to see his "thoughts" now

Look, the only player who has an arguement for GOAT is Curt Warner. They're remarkably similar players. However Barkley has done far more with far less than Warner.

Against OSU in 2015, he was playing on a bum ankle and almost dropped 200 with a mindf*cked quarterback. The OSU defense was keying on him for the entire game. Zeke Elliott was far from the best running back on the field that night.

There's not another person on this earth who can do what Barkley did on that 85-yard touchdown catch. There's not another person on the earth who could've made that Rose Bowl run. And there's not another person in the history of Penn State football who could've done what Barkley did in 2015 as a freshman alone.

Barkley has proven time and time again that he's the best. There's a small segment of our fanbase who thinks he has more to prove. Frankly, they're nuts.

I'm not sure the RPO offense is doing him any favors.
Bingo, the RPO offense and the shakey O line are a limitation to Barkley's success, and he still has been immensely successful. I've heard that some NFL people say that he's the best RB prospect in the last 10 years. Think about that... It's hard to compare runningbacks from different eras, but how many of our former runningbacks have been considered "best in decade" type good?

I think he has earned it. The people saying wait and see are ridiculous.
There is not a running back that I seen in 25 years of watching college football that I would take over him.
With the exception of few hall of fame rb there isn't another who can do what Barkley can do.

Exactly.

Barkley is a true generational talent. For the next several years all Penn State running backs will be compared (and pale in comparison) to him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT