ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone explain the scoring in the NCAA tourney to me....

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
Obviously not the same as in dual meets, as PSU has won 9 matches with a couple of them pins, but has 21 points...

3 ways of scoring:

Advancement
1 for winning in the champions bracket (unless it's the final match AKA the championship)
0.5 for winning in the consolations bracket (unless it's the final match, example the 3rd/4th, 5th/6th, 7th/8th)

Placement
1st - 16
2nd - 12
3rd - 10
4th - 9
5th - 7
6th - 6
7th - 4
8th - 3

NOTE: You get Placement Points as they're guaranteed. For example, winning in the Championship Bracket Quarterfinals guarantees you no worse than 6, so you get 6 immediately for placement and 1 for advancement (plus applicable bonus)

Bonus
2 for a Pin
1.5 for a TF
1 for a MD

EDIT: If you win by injury default, medical forfeit or DQ of opponent, that's 2 also.

I'll use Zain last year as an example.

He placed 1st (got 16)
Advanced 4 times (Winning Round 1, 2, QF, SF) so he got 4 for that
He teched his first opponent, pinned his second, teched his 3rd and regular decisioned his last 2. That's 5 bonus (1.5 for each Tech, 2 for the pin)

He scored 25

Last edited:
also if a wrestler (desanto) or coach(brands) acts crazy a team can score -1 points. might be wrong, but if a wrestler acts pyscho crazy and gets booted from the tourney any team points scored in the tourney gets taken away?

scoring of tournaments (especially the national championship) is one thing that hurts with casual fans.

I agree ^ but it's really not remotely difficult to pick up.

It's a 100% objective system. Only thing I can see confusing people is maybe advancement into guaranteed placement rounds when you suddenly get 7 more points.

EDIT: I see some people get REALLY into it and can list multiple scenarios to win or clinch based on what happens. I remember after Session V last year, multiple posters were able to immediately deduce 3 wins in the Finals that night (if Bo is one of them) wins or if we win all 4 before Bo that also virtually clinches it.

ADVERTISEMENT